Ok so I'm a musician (well duh) and I just recently finished making my first full cd. I am going to copyright it before I go public with it. I have one issue though. I use a quote from a movie in one of my songs. Do I have to pay a certain fee or something to make sure my ass won't be sued or is it not possible for me to copyright that song at all? I sent this same question to the US Copyright office but that was 3 days ago with still no reply. Any of you know the answer?
Quote by Dream Floyd
I wore a Justin Bieber shirt to one of my gigs once. I then ripped it off and burned the shirt. One of the most metal things I've ever done.

Quote by Paith
and that thing is super sexy......like megan fox sexy.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Since when has asking the pit counted as research?
That's not legal, but there is the possibility that no one will do anything about it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I think people put quotes in their songs all the time.
I know Elvis used a shakespeare quote in one of his songs.
I think it's safe
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
It's 100% legal, it's called fair use
\
_\,,
"-=\~ _
\\~___( ~
_|/---\\_
\ \
As long as it isn't from a metallica movie, you should be fine.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Metallicuh
I think it's safe

Shakespeare wouldn't sue him, couldn't anyway, after your dead for 70 years in most cases your work becomes public domain.
Quote by KTFM
You'll probably need to pay royalties to the production company who hold the rights to that movie.

KEdit: Do you mean a sound-bite from the movie, or you just quote it in song-form?

I took the whole sound clip and just put it in. It's only like 10 seconds at the most.. For those who are wondering its the Holy Hand Grenade quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Quote by Dream Floyd
I wore a Justin Bieber shirt to one of my gigs once. I then ripped it off and burned the shirt. One of the most metal things I've ever done.

Quote by Paith
and that thing is super sexy......like megan fox sexy.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Since when has asking the pit counted as research?
Quote by Metallicuh
I think it's safe

Shakespeare is in the common domain, no one has the copyright to his works. Movies on the other hand...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
For a sound file:
I think if the film is a certain age it doesn't matter.. unless you're talking about a recent one.
Then you should email the appropriate company and state you'll list the film details on the CD or booklet or cover etc.
Chances are you'll not get a slap on the wrist, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Unless you mean you're singing the quote.. in which case it's fairplay and do what you want.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
When a copyright is registered for example a "work" (movie) it is for the work as a whole, not the quote you took out.
Hence you can use the quote/soundbyte legally as it is only a small part of the whole
You wouldn't be using enough of it to constitute infringement
\
_\,,
"-=\~ _
\\~___( ~
_|/---\\_
\ \
Last edited by Unicorns at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by Unicorns
When a copyright is registered for example a "work" (movie) it is for the work as a whole, not the quote you took out.
Hence you can use the quote/soundbyte legal as it is only a small part of the whole
You would'nt be using enough of it to constitute infringement

This, your good and safe as long as its not very long. Its a pretty common thing for metal bands to use movie excerpts for intros and what-not.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Sodom used a quote from 'Apocalypse Now' in their song Napalm In The Morning.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by stratkat
Shakespeare wouldn't sue him, couldn't anyway, after your dead for 70 years in most cases your work becomes public domain.

+1
Quote by keyboardcomrade
I took the whole sound clip and just put it in. It's only like 10 seconds at the most.. For those who are wondering its the Holy Hand Grenade quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I think I love you.
Music must be honest to be timeless.