I started learning guitar a while ago, I'd consider myself an intermediate player, but I am unsure of what to learn next. I know scales, modes, and lots of chords, and I can improvise decently. I cannot play fast at all, but I am working on building speed on both my left and right hand. I would just like some opinions on where I should go from here.

Thanks!
Depends on your interests. You could expand your repertoire, and learn some songs or try writing some songs. Two hand tapping, or sweep picking if you're into shred. Finger picking or hybrid picking. You could try learning a new style of music that you haven't explored, country, blues, jazz, etc. You could learn to sight read. If you have one, you could practice your lead lines with a wah pedal, and get used to moving your foot independently. You don't mention if you ever jam with anyone, but playing with other musicians can really help you improve. That's all I got off the top of my head.
Quote by Legion6789
Depends on your interests. You could expand your repertoire, and learn some songs or try writing some songs. Two hand tapping, or sweep picking if you're into shred. Finger picking or hybrid picking. You could try learning a new style of music that you haven't explored, country, blues, jazz, etc. You could learn to sight read. If you have one, you could practice your lead lines with a wah pedal, and get used to moving your foot independently. You don't mention if you ever jam with anyone, but playing with other musicians can really help you improve. That's all I got off the top of my head.

Thanks. I forgot about tapping/sweeping. I want to learn some other styles too, but I'm teaching myself and I don't know where to find info on techniques used in different styles, do you? And I can't jam with anyone, I live in a small town and I'm mainly a drummer so all my friends are guitarists, and most of them are metalcore guitarists. But thanks for the feedback!
Learn how to play guitar?

j/k

What you can do is learn how to make chords. Knowing a lot of chords is nothing if you don't know how they're made.

Disregard this if you already know how.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by drummerkid74
I started learning guitar a while ago, I'd consider myself an intermediate player, but I am unsure of what to learn next. I know scales, modes, and lots of chords, and I can improvise decently. I cannot play fast at all, but I am working on building speed on both my left and right hand. I would just like some opinions on where I should go from here.

Thanks!

You know modes like shredders know modes or you know proper modes? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there's a lot of confusion over modality (you would not believe the number of people who say they're just a slightly different version scales). You could always delve into less common stuff like lap steel, slide guitar, flamenco style, what have you. There's always more to learn.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
What do you like doing?

Do you like playing songs? Then play songs.
Do you like learning modes and scales? Then do just that.

Do what you want!
Quote by vayne92
What do you like doing?

Do you like playing songs? Then play songs.
Do you like learning modes and scales? Then do just that.

Do what you want!

I agree. What do you want to play? You want to build up your left hand and right hand speed. "The flight of the bumble bee"! I've learned it myself, and this helped me a lot! Great song for practicing, and it sounds very good when you have built some speed!

But start really SLOWLY ==> important!

Or some Metallica songs is really good practising:
-One
-Master of Puppets
-The day that never comes
-That was just your life

Your right hand will be very fast after playing a lot of Metallica, trust me! Later you will down pick all the Metallica riffs

The solos ==> Very good practicing! For both of your hands, shredding, speed, and hand synchronization.
Try it!
Last edited by Metal-pro at Jun 28, 2011,
You could always do something completely crazy and... write some music?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.