Green MP says the coalition's 'localism' policy enables seaside town to follow Portugal's decriminalisation strategy

Quote by The Guardian
Over the past 20 years or so, Brighton has gained an enviable reputation for being cool. Its thriving centre plays host to a young population and the town is one of the most gay-friendly in Europe.

But Brighton also has a drugs problem: there was an average of almost one drug-related death every week – 50 in total – in 2009, and last year around 35 deaths were attributed to drugs. Brighton is the drug death capital of the UK, with the highest mortality rate from drugs per capita.

The situation is not expected to improve soon. "There was a bad crop in Afghanistan last year, which meant the heroin being taken recently was of very bad quality. A lot of the time it will have been dust", said Mike Pattinson, the director of operations for CRI, a charity rehabilitating drug users in the city. "But we hear this year's crop is a bumper one, which means the quality will be much higher and people will overdose. They won't cope with the strength of what they are taking."

Caroline Lucas, MP for Brighton Pavilion, has called for a new approach, having identified an unlikely ally. She wants to exploit the localism agenda of communities secretary Eric Pickles, the no-nonsense cabinet bruiser from Bradford, to decriminalise drug use in the city.

If Lucas, the first Green MP in England, gets her way, a town which has gained a reputation as one of the most tolerant in the country will become a pioneer in liberal drugs policy as well.

She claims the government's localism strategy echoes, at least on the surface, the Global Commission on Drugs Policy's recent recommendation that local administrations be allowed to develop their own approaches, if there are grounds to believe these will deliver improved health or social outcomes.

If her argument is accepted, Brighton will attempt to amend the laws on drugs and criminality for a trial period.

Her plan, she insists, does not stem from a desire to foster the cannabis cafe culture of Amsterdam on the south coast, but because the death toll demands a rethink. "The current free-for-all in which anyone can manufacture, sell or get hold of drugs needs to end — through proper regulation, strict controls on who can buy what and when, and ending the criminal control of drug markets," Lucas recently said in a speech to health workers.

"I think somewhere like Brighton should be able to say our experience shows that prohibition and abstinence don't work — and we want to try something different."

Strikingly, Lucas has the measured support of the senior police officer in this most cosmopolitan of cities. Chief Inspector Graham Bartlett knows he is on perilous ground, but his 22 years working with drug users has persuaded him that now is the time for change.

Progress?

Let's see if she doesn't get slapped down by the Tories, their localism hat slipping off momentarily.
**** YEAH moving there in September.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
**** YEAH moving there in September.

Gay capital + liberal drug policy: win win, eh?
Quote by gabcd86
Gay capital + liberal drug policy: win win, eh?

And on a music course with master classes from Jeff Beck and Guthrie Govan, no less.

AWWWW YEEEAAAAAHHHH

It is progress. If it goes over well, it's another nail in the coffin for the war on drugs. We waste so much tax money on it. I'd be okay with it if it actually stopped people from using drugs, but it doesn't. It stigmatizes a group of people and we spend a bunch of money telling them they're criminals without giving them any help. What's worse is that many young kids who ran away from home are forced into childhood prostitution and are given hard drugs so that they become dependent and don't run away. But with the war on drugs in place, they're the criminals because they're addicted to drugs.
Quote by TheBurningFish
And on a music course with master classes from Jeff Beck and Guthrie Govan, no less.

AWWWW YEEEAAAAAHHHH

Oh, you actually were moving there anyway?

Awesome!

BIMM?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Heroin is some nasty stuff

Not really, although that's a common misconception

There's a lack of good information about heroin, and a lot of misinformation in the media and education.

Opiates like heroin are highly addictive, however the health risks from chronic exposure are remarkably and surprisingly minor. The main direct risks are constipation, pupil restriction, menstrual irregularity, and reduced libido. many opiate addicts have taken pure heroin or morphine for years with no serious ill effects. In fact, opiate addiction is more prevalent amongst doctors, nurses, and dentists than among other professionals (e.g, Brewster, 1986)

"An individual tolerant to and dependant upon an opiate who is socially or financially capable of obtaining an adequate supply of good quality drug, sterile syringes and needles, and other paraphernalia may maintain his or her proper social and occupational functions, remain in fairly good health, and suffer little serious incapacitation as a result of dependence. (Julien, 1981 p.117)

One such individual was Dr. William Steward Halsted, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Medical School and one of the most brilliant surgeons of his day . . . Known as "the father of modern surgery." And yet, during his career he was addicted to morphine, a fact that he was able to keep secret from all but his closest friends. In fact, the only time his habit caused him any trouble was when he was attempting to reduce his dosage (McKim, 1986, p.197)"

Most of the risks of opiate addiction come from the fact that the drug is illegal.

In 1994 the Swiss government took an alternative approach to the problem of heroin addiction - despite substantial opposition from the Swiss public. It established a series of clinics in which, as part of a total treatment package, Swiss heroin addicts could receive heroin injections for a small fee. The Swiss government wisely funded a major research programme to evaluate the clinics (See Gschwend et el., 2002). The results have been uniformly positive: Addicts are no longer a presence in the streets and parks; drug related crime has substantially declined; the physical and social well-being of the addicts has greatly improved; there has been a decrease in heroin use by addicts; and the number of new addicts has declined. (see Brehmer & Iten, 2001; De Preux, Dubois-Arber, & Zobel, 2004; Guttinger et al., 2003; Nordt & Stohler, 2006; Rehm et al., 2001)

There is absolutely no logical reason not to legalise drugs like heroin, treatment programmes are proven to work while prohibition and repressive drug policies has only made the problem worse with any drug wherever it has been tried.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I saw this last week on the news... progress

EFFING FINALLY!

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by gabcd86
Oh, you actually were moving there anyway?

Awesome!

BIMM?

Yes and yes

It's not going to happen.

The tories will come in with their propaganda bollocks and tell them why it's in the 'best interests' of everyone (read: themselves) to have a strong stance against drugs
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
It's not going to happen.

The tories will come in with their propaganda bollocks and tell them why it's in the 'best interests' of everyone (read: themselves) to have a strong stance against drugs

This. With anyone even slightly right wing in power, no liberties will ever come into action.
The same government that puts kids in more debt than they'll pay off over their lifetime, creates a clearly visible divide between the rich and the poor everybody else, destroys spending in the public sector and contradicts pretty much every other plan he made to drag our sorry asses out of the state we're in....is unlikely to allow one small town the right to decriminalise heroin straight off the top. If that happens and pot stays Class B, I'll be pissed.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really, although that's a common misconception. *citations*

Someone on UG has an informed opinion?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by TheBurningFish

AWWWW YEEEAAAAAHHHH

i like my course with regular classes with high ranking UK composers of this time
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by SkepsisMetal
This. With anyone even slightly right wing in power, no liberties will ever come into action.
The same government that puts kids in more debt than they'll pay off over their lifetime, creates a clearly visible divide between the rich and the poor everybody else, destroys spending in the public sector and contradicts pretty much every other plan he made to drag our sorry asses out of the state we're in....is unlikely to allow one small town the right to decriminalise heroin straight off the top. If that happens and pot stays Class B, I'll be pissed.

Doesn't even need to be that right wing. Anyone who gets a taste of power suddenly changes their mind and supports the war on drugs because they can't take the backlash from the Daily Heil crowd afterwards.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Das_Skittles
Someone on UG has an informed opinion?

I swear he's got that saved on his desktop in notepad for quick reference.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really, although that's a common misconception

There's a lack of good information about heroin, and a lot of misinformation in the media and education.

Every time I see this copypasta of yours I know it's a thread I wanna watch
i don't know why i feel so dry
Fuck yeah Brighton. Seriously. However, this might be problematic for Brighton. I seriously have no issue against liberalising drug laws at all, but slightly iffy with doing it in such a localised area where it might be well publicised. It might attract problem dealers and users into the area because of decriminalised drugs. (If anyone could contradict me on this, that'd be ace.) It'd be best though if more places than Brighton, or a larger area did so.
Quote by RU Experienced?

it from some notes I had typed up for a psychopharmacology module, so it's on my computer but not my desktop
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Sparky-MMA
i like my course with regular classes with high ranking UK composers of this time

But will you be up to your elbows in penis and drugs?

Quote by RU Experienced?

He still makes the tiny effort to know what he's talking about

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm