hello all,

so i've got this nice ibanez solid body that ive been playing for a few years. my issue is that the action on it is really high, which was fine before when i was developing my technique, but now i'd really like to make things easier for my fingers. what's the best way to lower the action on an acoustic without getting fret buzzing and all of those unpleasantries?

thanks!
Post a picture of the bridge. If it is a fixed bridge, then you'll need some wood working skill, if not then you'll just need to turn a couple of screw things. A fixed bridge would probably be easier if you took it to a professional.
"Sigh..." Folks are so free with bad advice....

Go to Frets.com:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician

and check out the "instrument set-up" section. The guy (a professional repairman of 30+ years experience) will show you the standard measurements for setting up an acoustic guitar and how to make them.
Even if you don't want to do the work, you can check your instrument against the standard and decide if a trip to the shop is called for.

For about the dozenth time.... The truss rod is NOT for action adjustments. Also, the action is adjusted both at the nut and the saddle and the part than most guitarists would be most concerned with is the nut... Since they tend to play first-position chords.
Quote by Bikewer
"Sigh..." Folks are so free with bad advice....

Go to Frets.com:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician

and check out the "instrument set-up" section. The guy (a professional repairman of 30+ years experience) will show you the standard measurements for setting up an acoustic guitar and how to make them.
Even if you don't want to do the work, you can check your instrument against the standard and decide if a trip to the shop is called for.

For about the dozenth time.... The truss rod is NOT for action adjustments. Also, the action is adjusted both at the nut and the saddle and the part than most guitarists would be most concerned with is the nut... Since they tend to play first-position chords.

Yes, the truss rod is not for action adjustments, if the action is to high to your liking. If it's gone out of spec over the years, then that's due to the truss rod moving, not the saddle or nut magically getting shorter.
I have to agree with Bikewer. I mean the tread is titled " Need some acoustic guitar wisdom"

It does not say " Write down the first lot of crap that enters your head". Cheers
actually the truss rod really ISN'T for adjusting the action - it's there to adjust the curve in the neck. newbies use the truss rod instead of doing it right.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks Bikewer for the link, it was really helpful. i adjusted the truss rod a bit, and sanded down the bridge and now it plays wonderfully. thanks everyone for the advice.
Hi guys and gals. Im a new subscriber. Could someone pleas help me? Im interested in folk and country style guitar playing. Can anyone suggest good artists and songs for me to practise on as well as good techniques for fingering and such. I recently started guitar about 6months ago. Thanks
Hey TelanH if you want help, it would be better to start a new thread. Cheers
Quote by TélanH
Hi guys and gals. Im a new subscriber. Could someone pleas help me? Im interested in folk and country style guitar playing. Can anyone suggest good artists and songs for me to practise on as well as good techniques for fingering and such. I recently started guitar about 6months ago. Thanks

Just play what you listen too and work on chord progressions.