So I'm off to college in the fall and I'm going to buy a new laptop.

I'll be using this for mostly run-of-the-mill college stuff, as well as: recording with a focusrite saffire 6, torrenting/seeding things, etc. I don't really need a gaming computer because I'll be bringing my PS3.

I have a budget of about $500. I can pay more, but only if it's really worth it.

TL;DR- You have a rope, a hammer, and a screwdriver. Which do you use to get out of the Tesseract?
Tie the hammer to one end of the rope. Throw it to the top, so the hooky side provides a support. Then, tie the screwdriver to the opposite end and use it to dig into the walls like an icepick and scale the wall. Easy as pie.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just get something that's got at least a dual core and over 4 gb of ram.

This but keep it dual core unless you know you have a lot of programs that can take advantage of 4 processors to justify the cost. Running a dual core will make some programs a little slower if they are only meant to be used with a single core... so 4 cores might be even slower. Not by much though, i might add.

Depending on the OS, it might not take advantage of 4 GB and actually only ever be able to use 3 GB (Windows Vista 32 bit does this). Not sure if 7 does this. Also, make sure programs can run on the OS.

Also a no-brainer but make sure it has a high definition soundcard or otherwise it'll just sound awful.

Look for reviews online too.. obviously.

Also don't buy piano black, because it'll get scratches and look ugly very quickly. Expecially when your friend puts a backpack on it.. *rages fist in the air*
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Jun 27, 2011,
Any Toshiba Satellite that has a screen of roughly 15" will do you good.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by blackflag49
Macbook Pro

Not under 500$
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Screwdriver, but only to end your suffering. There is no escape from the Tesseract.

I'm gonna need a new laptop soon too, I accidentally headbutted mine apart. No that's not a joke. It still works kind of, but the keyboard, monitor, and battery system are all on their deathbed.
I'm a fan of ASUS computers, but Toshiba Satellite should be practical enough for you if you just want it for school. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that suits what you need it for considering you aren't going to do much gaming. Just look around a bit.
Quote by FaDe2bLaCk242
I'm a fan of ASUS computers, but Toshiba Satellite should be practical enough for you if you just want it for school. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that suits what you need it for considering you aren't going to do much gaming. Just look around a bit.

Asus makes non gaming laptops that tend to destroy the competition. But, I would recommend the G73 since it's got a insane amount of processing power, and has a very good soundcard.
ASUS. My motherboard in the desktop I'm on now is ASUS and runs like a champ. 4GB RAM and 2.8Ghz dual core.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I'm using an hp G60-630US. Running windows 7. I'm not really tech savvy but I torrent and record stuff so this suits my needs. Plenty of memory, fast, customizable, durable. Only problem I recently had was I overheated the battery by leaving it on overnight all the time, and I ran over the tip of my powercord with a chair(my fault).

Just make sure you shut it down at night and you'll be ok.
Used Macbook, save up a little more, upgrade software.
you're a stone fox
1) I don't care for macs very much... flameshield?

2)The Asus G73 is cool... but its also more than double what I'm looking to spend. I can't really justify a $1000 nothing laptop.