hello

anywho, i am trying to decide what to do for my dist+ and came to one conclusion, i have no freaking idea how germanium, silicone, and led's differ in terms of distortion.

i know my dist+ has germaniums, and i'm told silicone is more vintage correct, but in terms of how they clip, and how the distortion goes, what is different between these three?

apart from the clipping diodes, what would be a good opamp to put in? i'm looking to basically help the harmonics and reduce the noise so i don't have to run a noise gate.
http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=217

It's got the basics laid out at the top before it goes deeper into the difference popular od pedals

edit: basics about clipping and diodes
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jun 27, 2011,
on the subject of opamps I personally prefer the 4558 (the 808 chip) for overdrive/distortions as I feel it has a bit more of an edge to it, but tend to use the LM308 for everything else as I find it a bit quieter. That may just be my ear though...
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
i was thinking of using the tubescreamer opamp, but i don't want to get too close to the tube screamer.

i also want to fix that muddy/indistinct tone when the distortion knob is turned down, which i think will be fixed by changing the pots, right?