I already have a fretted electric bass and have just got hold of an acoustic bass. The previous owner has taken the frets out to make it fretless. So, my question is what would you do? Replace the frets, or keep it as it is so that I have both a fretted and fretless bass? At the moment I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it fretless as it feels really great to play at the moment .
The previous person has just pulled the frets out and hasn't even filled the slots so if I keep it fretless do I need to do anything else to finish the conversion (I have seen mention on-line about epoxying the fingerboard to make it more durable)? At present it has round wound strings on it, so would flat wound be kinder on the finger board?

Cheers

Chris
Last edited by chris241 at Jun 27, 2011,
I love playing fretless, all i did was get a wood filler and i filled in the slots that were left. i didnt seal the fingerboard with any epoxy or anything, i just use flat wound, they work great and i haven't noticed any serious wearing of the fingerboard.

Edit: Here is a picture of my fingerboard with the wood filler
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/HowToFly/pictures/gear/962348/963238
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Last edited by HowToFly at Jun 27, 2011,
Thanks for that. It is useful to know that your fingerboard is holding up ok without any special treatment. How long ago did you do yours?
I did it about two years ago now, it was a first act before but i tore it all apart and put all new hardware, and wiring in. The wood filler you can get at any hardware store in any wood color you want. The color on mine is natural. If you have any questions just send me a message
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
if you want ot keep it fretless keep it fretless. if not don't. I would leave it fretless just cuz I want a fretless.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
if you want ot keep it fretless keep it fretless. if not don't. I would leave it fretless just cuz I want a fretless.

Yes. I only really had the dilema because I had not really considered a fretless bass before and wouldn't have gone specifically looking for one. Had this always been fretless, again it wouldn't have been an issue as I wouldn't have considered trying a fretless to fretted conversion myself. However because the frets have just been pulled out and the slots left open, it left me with the option of taking it back to original.
As I said in a previous post I think I will be leaving it fretless because I'm really enjoying playing it.