Poll: Which Pickups do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Pickups do you prefer?
Seymour Duncan
39 80%
EMGs
10 20%
Voters: 49.
I was just wondering what pickup brand people prefer :P
"Dreams fucking come true!" - Myles Kennedy
Seymour Duncan!!!
Rock On!!!

Schecter C-1 Custom FR (Prototype)
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Taylor 510ce
B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez SRX705
I used to love EMG's back when I went though a metal phase but seymour duncan's can be more versatile while still being good for heavy stuff too.
Depends.....on which Eng and which Duncan. They make pickups for diff things. The only competator by Duncan to EMG actives are blackouts. Duncan makes some great pickups for a bunch of different genres and styles
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Fender, Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, Lollar, Gibson, Rio Grande, etc. etc. etc.

Duncan and EMG aren't the only brands, dude...
Quote by JesusCrisp
Fender, Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, Lollar, Gibson, Rio Grande, etc. etc. etc.

Duncan and EMG aren't the only brands, dude...

That's obviously not what he is saying. He's asking which people prefer. Pretty self explanatory
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
That's obviously not what he is saying. He's asking which people prefer. Pretty self explanatory

OK, lulz I like teh Duncanz then...
For what? Jazz? Metal? Blues? Pop? Country? Single coils? Humbuckers? P-90s? Build quality? Tone? Price? Ease of installation?

This is retarded. You might as well be asking which we prefer out of hot or cold water. What, to drink, to wash with?
I like both but for different instruments.

EMG for bass
SD for Guitar.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Seymour Duncan all the way. I will never buy another guitar with EMGs in it, unless I plan to swap them out.
Quote by grohl1987
For what? Jazz? Metal? Blues? Pop? Country? Single coils? Humbuckers? P-90s? Build quality? Tone? Price? Ease of installation?

This is retarded. You might as well be asking which we prefer out of hot or cold water. What, to drink, to wash with?
Not really. He's asking what brand people prefer, including all that brand's pickups and how well it suits their style, what ever it may be. The question isn't "Which is better?" it's "What do you prefer?"

Perfectly valid question.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jun 27, 2011,
I'll take a Duncan any day over an EMG any day. I just never got into a p/u that doesn't show the "character" of the guitar tone woods.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't really mind either. I think EMG's sound good through the right amp, and Duncans are good for about anything. For the time being, my choice will be Duncans.
EMG. They don't colour my tone before they hit the amp which is good: gives me a clean slate to EQ.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I think EMGs are pretty bad TBH(I have a 81/85-equipped guitar, not a fan of the 85 at all and the 81 isn't quite as amazing as everyone makes it out to be, not to mention they actually feedback more than my DiMarzio-equipped guitar...) and I have little experience with Duncans but from hearing my friend play a few Duncan-equipped Jacksons at Long And McQuade, they don't seem that bad. I'm a DiMarzio person though. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I haven't used an SD blackout so I can't really say. I've got an EMG81TW, 81 and 85. The single coil/humbucker modes of the TW are handy as it's in a single pickup guitar but overall I LOVE the sound of the EMG 85 for both rhythm and for solo tone.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Really depends on the application. I'd take SD's almost any day for blues or rock, and EMGs for more modern metal.

Generally though, I almost always prefer to use EMGs. While SD's sound a tad better/more specialized for certain lower gain applications, EMGs are really versatile, and can be shaped to pretty much any application you need, and I love that about them. They're also very quiet, and preserve your tone through long cable runs, which is really nice. So I'd go with EMG.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^ Must disagree with the one comment on EMG's being useful for everything (from the post at the bottom of page 1), I have yet to find an active EMG that sounds even remotely clean without some heavy EQing. That said, I rarely play clean, and the actives do sound REALLY good distored. I've got an 81/85 in my Jackson (came equiped that way) and 707's in the Loomis (again, equiped that way), and have NO experience with Duncan's so I'm very bias towards EMG's. Don't know what I'm going to do for my custom build though....
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I can get decent cleans with my 81 and good cleans with my 60 on my 5150. That said, if you can't get cleans with EMGs, you seriously need to practice EQing.

I've found that EMGs have a really bad reputation because people review them after using them for 5 minutes, without even beginning to explore their massive potential. It's all about that flat EQ response, and probably a lot of people aren't used to that. I will say they can be a bit sterile dry, but a touch of reverb can fix that right way.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EMGs are more than capable of pulling cleans but you'll want to back off the volume. As it is I think there may be a marginal amount of clip coming from the internal preaamp but if you've got volume at full you're obviously going to drive the amp hard. I agree a touch of reverb helps.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
i have my drop drop B / C# std with dual 81's in my Gibson SG for the sludgey, kind of deathcore/doom stuff, i like how EMG's mud up a little bit in lower tunings, adds just what i am looking for.

now EMG 81's in standard i am not really a fan of, they are kind of just flat and sometimes sharp. i just am not a fan them in standard tunings.

Duncans, i have had in a few jacksons, (don't remember which SD's exactly), but i am not really a fan. they have their uses for a lot of things, but not so much for me. the '59 isn't bad though.

Dimarzio, i prefer for both for 40% of my playing, the pickups in my Wolfgangs and Ibby 3550, i love. tonezone/air norton in the 3550 with a true velvet in the middle sounds really nice.

Gibson makes my favorite pickups (used for about 50% of my playing) though, despite a lot of people aren't fans. i really get what i want out of them. the 1980 sonex's sound absolutely killer with the origional Dirty figers. they are amazing. i like a 490T a lot for sludgey type stuff, the 498T i use for blues and although a lot of people not liking any of the 49X pickups i have found them to suit my needs well. i also really love '57 classics for blues, and Burstbuckers sound pretty good too. i love my 500t, that is all around one of my favorite pickups for the non sludgey metal i play.

although i have a feeling it will change once i can justify the cash flow to Bareknuckle
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
SD, I prefer their options. Also really like the Distortions.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.