Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and suspect that this topic might have been addressed in the past, but I need some help. I'm currently in the market for a Gibson and is / was seriously considering a 2008 Les Paul Standard.

Today I have found out about this whole chambered body thing and was shocked to my core as I've always known that Gibson was well known for its solid body guitars.

My question to you would be: does the 2008 LP Standard still have a fat / balsy tone with nice attack, or has it become brighter with less of a fat tone? I believe it is that fat tone which makes the LP so unique and sought after.

Your thoughts?
only the solid gibson historics have the fat tone.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
only the solid gibson historics have the fat tone.

Yep.

But the 08 standard I believe is the first chambered model Gibson produced. Never played it, so I cant say how the sound is.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
My Gibson is a 2010 Faded, Standard, which is chambered. It still sounds very fat and like a proper Les Paul should. It's very acoustic as well and harmonically rich. It's just lighter. They can be hotter than the solid bodies. The solids tend to be warmer and fatter.

If you want to hear mine, click on the link in my sig. Not meaning to advertise my videos, but I have a pretty good sound going on in both of the videos I've done. I don't use any pedals, just straight into the Marshall
They've been weight-relieving LPs since the 90's afaik.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by NosralTserrof
Yep.

But the 08 standard I believe is the first chambered model Gibson produced. Never played it, so I cant say how the sound is.

They do it since 1982
Quote by paruwi
They do it since 1982

no, that's weight relieving, not chambering. different thing - weight relief was where they cut a load of small holes in certain parts of the body that they thought wouldn't affect the tone of the guitar if they cut a hole there. they were still mostly solid- the chambered les pauls are now pretty much completely hollow.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
My Gibson is a 2010 Faded, Standard, which is chambered. It still sounds very fat and like a proper Les Paul should. It's very acoustic as well and harmonically rich. It's just lighter. They can be hotter than the solid bodies. The solids tend to be warmer and fatter.

If you want to hear mine, click on the link in my sig. Not meaning to advertise my videos, but I have a pretty good sound going on in both of the videos I've done. I don't use any pedals, just straight into the Marshall

fat and gibson historic fat are two completely different things.

Weight relief and chambering both fatten up the tone. If a thick tone is what you want then having at least a weight relieved body will help. Chambering is the next step, then a proper semi hollow design, then a full hollow design. A solid body will give a brighter tone. If brightness isn't what you want then you're better off getting a chambered LP. Almost all LPs since the late 70s are weight relieved. For the fattest tone get one of the new Gibson LP Customs. Full mahogany construction, no maple at all, and they're weight relieved.
Quote by grohl1987
Weight relief and chambering both fatten up the tone. If a thick tone is what you want then having at least a weight relieved body will help. Chambering is the next step, then a proper semi hollow design, then a full hollow design. A solid body will give a brighter tone. If brightness isn't what you want then you're better off getting a chambered LP. Almost all LPs since the late 70s are weight relieved. For the fattest tone get one of the new Gibson LP Customs. Full mahogany construction, no maple at all, and they're weight relieved.

how come you never have any idea what the hell you are talking about.

Explain where I'm wrong then because I'd love to hear you explain why a solid body guitar might have a fatter tone than a chambered or hollow design of any kind. Of course before you start, the entire range of Gibson ES guitars, lots of Gretsch guitars and Thinline Telecasters would all love to have a word with you.
Quote by grohl1987
Explain where I'm wrong then because I'd love to hear you explain why a solid body guitar might have a fatter tone than a chambered or hollow design of any kind. Of course before you start, the entire range of Gibson ES guitars, lots of Gretsch guitars and Thinline Telecasters would all love to have a word with you.

bass notes need mass for resonance reflection.

but other then that...you have got to be kidding me.

you think a thin-line telecaster is fatter then a solid les paul?

seriously?

The later model LPs that are weight relieved weight less than most Norlin Era LPs but more than early HJ era LPs (as the stock on lighter honduran mahogany gets more scarce and is reserved for Custom SHop guitras). 9-11lbs seems to be the norm for Trads these days.
Chambered are quite noticeably lighter I'd guess at well under 8lbs (judging by the ones I've held and played stacked against my LPs).
Sound wise I really didn't notice anything unusual with chambered LPs. They still sound like a Les Paul should. Between the Trad and Standard there's more to consider than weight.
Neck Profiles, pickups, hardware are all diffferent between the two.

These days the Trad represents the more true to form LP thru the 80's & 90's while the Standard is the show piece for Gibson inovations.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 27, 2011,
IIRC the Customs (Gibson, the Epi customs are as hollow as shit) are the only model left that are completely solid.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by AcousticMirror
bass notes need mass for resonance reflection.
And treble dies when a body or neck lacks mass.

you think a thin-line telecaster is fatter then a solid les paul?

seriously?
I never said that. You appear to be arguing with statements that you've imagined yourself. However now that you mention it, yes, a thinline Tele DOES have a naturally thicker tone than a solid body mahogany+maple Les Paul. At least the original Thinline design would. The later design which is half solid wouldn't. Also there's the issue of the earlier style of Thinline having single coils but that's nothing to do with the tone charactistics of the body construction. Assuming all other things are equal, e.g. pickups, amp, pedals, playing style, strings and so forth, the original mahogany or rosewood thinlines will have a naturally thicker tone than a solid body Les Paul. The early ash thinlines would be about on par with the Les Paul, whether it's thicker or not would likely vary between guitars with them averaging out roughly the same. I would expect any alder thinline to be consistently warmer-toned than most Les Pauls.

Quote by NosralTserrof
IIRC the Customs (Gibson, the Epi customs are as hollow as shit) are the only model left that are completely solid.
Pretty much the opposite, the Customs are one of the few high-end Gibsons that are weight relieved. All the other custom shop guitars are solid, except maybe the one with the Floyd I think. The Custom uses the really old school weight relief though which is minimal. I think the slightly older Customs WERE solid, before they became custom shop models. It's been a while since I checked though. Pretty sure that's how it is.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by NosralTserrof

No Epi LesPaul is chambered or swiss cheesed - except the Ultra/Ultra II series
Quote by grohl1987
wall of gibberish

you know what. you are right.

none of my hollows sound as fat as the r8 I owned but who knows?

obviously you do.

Quote by NosralTserrof

gibson les paul customs have weight relief, or swiss cheese holes as some call it.

the only non weight relieved (swiss cheese holes) or chambered LP (big massive chamber) is the VOS historics. those are solid bodies.

and i personally don't think hollow body fat, and solid body fat, are NOT the same fat. ymmv.

it's like queen latifa vs jabba the hut. both fat, both totally different.

jabba's milkshakes never brought any boys to the yard.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020

But damn right, it's better than yours.

So 1982 is when they started pokin holes in GLPs, huh? I've been looking (read: Teenage boy talking, I'll get this when I'm 25 )at a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Silverburst
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
the whole chambering thing is kind of pro and con type of thing.

they are just different. i have played quite a few of each. its just a matter of what you like.

one man's eargasm is another mans prostate exam.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AcousticMirror
you know what. you are right.

none of my hollows sound as fat as the r8 I owned but who knows?

obviously you do.
You actually need to put forwrd a valid rebuttal to be correct. Simply stating you are and using weak sarcasm, which doesn't work over the internet, just makes you look like a pathetic bullshitting troll who hasn't got a clue and knows it. I stand by my points and I've explained why. Unless you would like to expand on your HERPA DERPA I R SMRT SO HNNNNNGGGGGGG PARP argument, I think we can all agree I'm right.
Quote by NosralTserrof

Customs (apart from 57 and 68 Re-Issues) are weight relieved (swiss-cheesed)
Quote by NosralTserrof
Yep.

Nah, they started chambering in late 2006 on Les Paul Classics

The only non-weight-relieved Gibsons left are the Historic/Re-Issues. My 68 Custom RI is completely solid. A normal Custom is not. All the USA series is either chambered or swiss-cheesed (weight-relieved)

They sound good and are generally much lighter. I've played a couple of 08 Standards and they felt really nice, the neck profile on that model is brilliant.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by gregs1020
gibson les paul customs have weight relief, or swiss cheese holes as some call it.

the only non weight relieved (swiss cheese holes) or chambered LP (big massive chamber) is the VOS historics. those are solid bodies.

and i personally don't think hollow body fat, and solid body fat, are NOT the same fat. ymmv.

it's like queen latifa vs jabba the hut. both fat, both totally different.

This man essentially has it right.

Quote by grohl1987

Early 80's was the start of chambering and the current Les Paul Customs (except for the 57 RI) all have maple caps. The normal Les Paul Custom is weight relieved and has the short neck tenon

Quote by digman50
This man essentially has it right.

essentially?

also, no gibson les paul custom guitar is all mahogany, they all have maple caps. it's part of their design.
according to gibson:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

the customs have a maple cap and are weight releived

and this:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1960-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty/Features.aspx

the REISSUE 60's BLACK BEAUTY - it IS all mahogany and not weight releived. no maple cap.

to my knowledge, the epiphone les custom is 100% solid mahogany as well.

/end of that areguement
Quote by ikey_

to my knowledge, the epiphone les custom is 100% solid mahogany as well.

Hell no. The Epi LPC's are hollow as hell. Idk if theyre 100% Mahogany, but they are not solid by any strech of the imagination.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by grohl1987
You actually need to put forwrd a valid rebuttal to be correct. Simply stating you are and using weak sarcasm, which doesn't work over the internet, just makes you look like a pathetic bullshitting troll who hasn't got a clue and knows it. I stand by my points and I've explained why. Unless you would like to expand on your HERPA DERPA I R SMRT SO HNNNNNGGGGGGG PARP argument, I think we can all agree I'm right.

yes of course. you are right.

Quote by NosralTserrof
Hell no. The Epi LPC's are hollow as hell. Idk if theyre 100% Mahogany, but they are not solid by any strech of the imagination.

This ^^ is just wrong !

No Epi LP is chambered - except the Ultra models !

The (newer) Customs don't have maple caps
played a chambered LP side by side with a normal one. the chambered one seemed to have more punch, but the solid ofcourse blew me away with the dark deep tone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED