Finally decided to start learning stuff by ear, after 2 and a half years of using tabs and lessons...

Here's the bit i struggle with - chords... arrpegiatons of chords and weird chords in particular...

Muse's first and second albums are rife with these sorts of combinations and i really don't know how to figure out what they are, or even where to start. Muse's Muscle Museum for example - the 2 chords in the prechorus are (from lowest 3 strings) 244, then 443. The F# power chord is easy enough, ive heard enough rock to be able to recognise a power chord, but the 443 totally threw me for a loop, and i had to rely on tabs to figure it.

Any advice?
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Figure out the chord/function before you go after the voicing.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Figure out the chord/function before you go after the voicing.

feel guilty for being about to sound like a retard... but i dunno what you mean...

i know you mean figuring out what exact shape is used in the chord voicing, but what u said about the chord/function... not really sure what you mean by that
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
You have to learn to hear which chords are major, minor, seventh etc. That helps a lot in transcribing.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
It's simple. Imagine that you're playing a 7-string. That would give you a 2nd-fret (on the B-string) Db. The remaining notes fill out the Db major chord. Put simply, it's a Db power chord with a major third in it...that note is an F.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
feel guilty for being about to sound like a retard... but i dunno what you mean...

i know you mean figuring out what exact shape is used in the chord voicing, but what u said about the chord/function... not really sure what you mean by that

If you feel it moving into the dominant chord, try all the predominant chords you know, starting with the most obvious. If you're hearing I - vi - ??? - V7, try IV, ii, bII or even V/V.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by KingHenrik1967

It's about knowing theory, to the extent, that you can answer the questions that you are asking. Triads, Inversions Chord Tones etc. The reason you are floored is because when you get something you've never seen before, you are absent the information to determine what it is. You've equated your understanding to patterns and shapes, and so when something new comes along outside the same patterns and shapes, you're coming up empty.

This is where just learning to imitate patterns and shapes and playing without understanding comes up short. I'd recommend that you consider learning theory and gaining a real understanding of the guitar, and what you are doing, if you are trying to pursue questions like these.

This is a great time to move things to the next level. When you start wanting to do more than just write tabs and play them, you're ripe to learn theory.

By the way, that chord Db Major in first inversion.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by KingHenrik1967
Finally decided to start learning stuff by ear, after 2 and a half years of using tabs and lessons...

(from lowest 3 strings) 244, then 443. The F# power chord is easy enough, ive heard enough rock to be able to recognise a power chord, but the 443 totally threw me for a loop, and i had to rely on tabs to figure it.

Any advice?

learning triads-major & minor and their inversions on ALL sets of strings will open a new world of chords and give you a new feel for the fretboard..the 443 (G# C# E#) is a C# Maj with G# in the bass(second inversion) it is also enharmonic with Db..(Ab Db F)

it will take some work and time to get under your fingers...but if your the least bit serious about learing music/guitar...this will be one of the most valuable & necessary things to learn regarding chords..

play well

wolf