So I've built the BYOC Triboost (http://buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html), and it has an clear LED that's supposed to change colors depending on which transistor the signal is going through. Unfortunately, I burnt two of the three transistors (I'm new to this stuff and didn't use a heat clamp), so I replace the burnt transistors (MOSFET, blue light and Si, green light) with new similar transistors, but the LED won't light up for those two transistors. It only lights up for the only transistor I didn't burn (Germanium, lights up red). The thing is, the boost actually works for all three settings - the MOSFET transistor produces a full clean boost, the Si transistor is more linear, and the Ge transistor is very treble-y, but the LED only works for the Ge setting. Is it possible to burn out the other colors and just leave red working on the LED? the LED has four leads, one for each color (red/blue/green) plus another lead, is it possible that I just fried the blue and green leads (if that even makes sense)? or could it be because I'm not using the exact specified transistors, just similar types of transistors? Thanks and sorry for the longwinded post
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
sure you have the LED the right way around? an LED will only work one way
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

if I had it the wrong way, would/could the red light still work? I'm pretty sure I put it the right way, but I'll try switching it once I get home... if I remember correctly, I didn't use a heat clamp when I originally soldered the LED either =(... I'm essentially teaching myself all this stuff as I'm going along, but it's a very rewarding hobby =)

EDIT: actually I just looked on the BYOC forums for the Triboost, it turns out that there's a batch of faulty LEDs and that batch's date coincides with the date my kit was made... I'll pick up a new LED after work. Thanks man!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Jun 27, 2011,
Always use a heat sink. I've broken loads out of LEDs out of stupidity and simply just forgetting to use one lol.