I've been wanting to pick up another guitar, and I'm intrigued by a couple of PRS's SE guitars, mostly the Custom 24. I'm planning on making a trip to Guitar Center to play one for myself, but had a quick question just out of curiosity. How noticeable (if at all) is the difference in scale length between this (25") and Gibson length scale? I don't really have too much trouble switching between Gibson and Fender scale lengths, but I was just wondering how the PRS scale length compares.
Well PRS is 25" and Gibson is 24.75". Do the math.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
Well PRS is 25" and Gibson is 24.75". Do the math.

/thread
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I know what the different measurements are, I'm just asking in terms of feel. Does the PRS scale length feel noticeably different than Gibson scale length while playing?
I barely notice a difference when I shift from 24.75" to 25.5". A quarter of an inch will make almost no difference. The SHAPE of the neck, however, will determine its feel a lot more than the scale length.

The above comment about the measurements were because a quarter of an inch is a miniscule change.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I've got the PRS SE custom semi hollow, and imho the neck's just fine. A little short actually.

The pickups are incredible. The biggest drawback is tuning this bitch... I don't know if it's because it's (semi) hollow, or if all the SE's have that problem; but simply picking up the guitar and starting to play is not an option. You have to spend 5min tuning it, warming up, retuning, ... Once you've done that, it stays in tune.
Try a couple out, let me know what you think!

cheers
Quote by Gui_Lux
I've got the PRS SE custom semi hollow, and imho the neck's just fine. A little short actually.

The pickups are incredible. The biggest drawback is tuning this bitch... I don't know if it's because it's (semi) hollow, or if all the SE's have that problem; but simply picking up the guitar and starting to play is not an option. You have to spend 5min tuning it, warming up, retuning, ... Once you've done that, it stays in tune.
Try a couple out, let me know what you think!

cheers

Have you thought about replacing the tuners? There are locking tuners that are a drop-in replacement that would make a BIG difference on your existing SE. If you need help finding those just let me know, I don't have a link right off hand.
Quote by thehikingdude
Have you thought about replacing the tuners? There are locking tuners that are a drop-in replacement that would make a BIG difference on your existing SE. If you need help finding those just let me know, I don't have a link right off hand.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think that the tuners are the problem here... It just that the guitar is so sensitive to temperature changes. But I'll try locking tuners, who knows

G
The only difference you'll notice is a slight increase in tension. Longer scales have more string tension. Which is why when most professional guitarists drop to drop B or something, they like to use a baritone guitar with a 27 inch scale so they have more string tension.
Not much of a difference, but try the two guitars out for yourself, if the Guitar Center has any Les Pauls.
honestly, i notice a huge difference going from my 25.5 strat to my 24.75 "les paul" shape.

that said, i feel nothing going from a les paul to a prs. but i do however feel a little going from the strat to prs. ONLY on higher frets. if i'm making a 6 fret jump lets say, i'll sometimes miss because i'm simply not used to playing those (i dont really watch what i play - i let my fingers just go at it). so i feel it a little, but i'm sure if i spent more than a half hour every here and there at a shop playing them, i'd feel right at home on them. just gotta get used to it