Hello all... I've got a cream coloured Strat that I want to do some custom artwork on... my question is regarding what markers can be used to do this.

I want a purple or blue colour to stencil on some words and I want something that will be permanent and not smudge with a little sweat. Will regular sharpies do the job or is there a better way? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for replies!
uhh.. sanding down the clear coat, use paint or a sharpie then reapply a clear coat...dunno what would work without doing all that.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
yeah whatever you use you will want to clear coat over it to protect it.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
yeah... its like painting anything else...

you could probably get away with a sharpie without sanding (like an autograph)... but if you dont seal it, it will smudge no matter what you use...
acrylic paint pen $2-$5, krylon gloss/satin clear $3-$5, Trip to wal mart priceless
I'd also recommend getting a can of spray sealer from an art supply store, as spraying straight clear over some markers will just spread the lines really badly (personal exp.)
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
Use a proper paint marker. Most sharpie-like markers will blur a little once you shoot the clear on top. You can shoot a very very light first coat to lessen that effect, but a paint marker will work better. The Sharpie brand actually has some quality ones, I've heard.