I have been offered a place on the Higher Diploma guitar performance course at The Academy Of Contemporary Music in Guildford, UK.

Whether I accept or not is a rather huge descision for me, your outside perspective would be very useful!

I could either:

A) Accept the offer

PROS
-Cool course, lots performance experience
-Likely to meet some great people and have a lot of fun
-Tuition from some damn good professionals
-Possibly come out with a successful project
-Recognised qualification so I can professionally teach guitar
-Recieve some help with career after I leave

CONS
-£3350 + living expenses
-Will have a lot of debt and possibly not a lot to show for it
-Chance that it might be a complete waste of time and money as I know of people who have been and are trying to do what I list below
-Would have to drop my current projects
-Less money for gear (new amp would be out of the question now)

OR

B) Decline the offer

PROS
-Get a crappy student type job and make money = no debt
-Could teach myself (with a guitar tutor) most of the theory I would learn there
-Could get a teaching diploma from an exam board eg RGT/rockschool
-Could continue the projects I have lined up:
Youtube channel, post-rock project with a really good guitarist, studio volunteer
-I could go travelling

CONS
-Pretty much all of my friends are leaving for uni, I'd often be on my own- bored
-I dont actually know many more good musicians with the same taste as me so if the projects fall through early on I would be stuffed
-Course fees rise dramatically next year
-No performance experience unless I get somewhere with other projects

Basically it boils down to either risking debt and going to college, or trying to get somewhere on my own - both have very unclear outcomes.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

PS. sorry for the wall of text (it helped to get my options down in writing!)
Whatever you do, don't have a sour face.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Go for it, then just get a crap job and you'll never have to pay the debt
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Someone on UG gave me very good advice once when it comes to decisions. Assign each choice to one side of a coin. Flip the coin. If you regret the outcome of the coin flip, you know which you want to do most.

Also, quite a few UG'ers are applying for ACM, just thought I'd throw that in there.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Do it. An opportunity comes about, grab it, especially if it will cost more next year.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by entity0009
Someone on UG gave me very good advice once when it comes to decisions. Assign each choice to one side of a coin. Flip the coin. If you regret the outcome of the coin flip, you know which you want to do most.

Also, quite a few UG'ers are applying for ACM, just thought I'd throw that in there.

That is a really excellent idea.
Quote by entity0009

Brilliant! Thats scarily good advice!

Looks like I'm accepting then...

If anyone knows anybody going to ACM let me know!

Thanks guyes
ACM is one of the places I'm thinking of applying to after my gap year (along with Manchester's RNCM and Bristol's BIMM (not looking at the Brighton one, too far)).

I think (assuming you're going for the degree and not the one under it, I forget the names) it'd be worth it. Especially if you're going for a career as a musician. Debt is what you are going to face, not just as a musician, but as a human! Everyone gets in debt, no matter what they do, I know people who haven't gone to uni who are having very hard live, with none of the upsides of uni!

Plus when you come out with a degree that opens loads of doors.
And as I've always thought, what you do at uni isn't necessarily about the qualification (when it comes to music), it's about who you meet and actually what you learn.
Music is all about networking and stuff, which uni will help you a lot with, moreso than if you stay at home and teach guitar.
Because teaching is alright, but you do need a reputation to make good money from it.
And getting popular on youtube is all luck.

But with uni you're guaranteed to get a grounding in the business.

I may have rambled in this post so it might be a bit dis-organised, sorry!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
ACM is one of the places I'm thinking of applying to after my gap year (along with Manchester's RNCM and Bristol's BIMM (not looking at the Brighton one, too far)).

I think (assuming you're going for the degree and not the one under it, I forget the names) it'd be worth it. Especially if you're going for a career as a musician. Debt is what you are going to face, not just as a musician, but as a human! Everyone gets in debt, no matter what they do, I know people who haven't gone to uni who are having very hard live, with none of the upsides of uni!

Plus when you come out with a degree that opens loads of doors.
And as I've always thought, what you do at uni isn't necessarily about the qualification (when it comes to music), it's about who you meet and actually what you learn.
Music is all about networking and stuff, which uni will help you a lot with, moreso than if you stay at home and teach guitar.
Because teaching is alright, but you do need a reputation to make good money from it.
And getting popular on youtube is all luck.

But with uni you're guaranteed to get a grounding in the business.

I may have rambled in this post so it might be a bit dis-organised, sorry!

Thanks for the reply!

I will be going for the Higher diploma - the one below, unfortunately I wasnt offered degree- though possibly with a view to the degree course in the year that you join.

Debating whether it'd make more sense to take a year out and get on the degree course next year, or go for all three.

I understand that everyone gets into debt, but that debt packs a particular punch for musicians who get paid shit all- so reducing it is a big concern for me.

Gunna sleep on all of this and take a week to weigh everything up. Thanks so much for all the advice!
Do it. Like Punk Ninja said, everyone's in debt. The way I see it, at least you could get a job teaching guitar afterwards to pay off the debt. Plus, with all your friends leaving you might as well go too, meet some new people, jam! and just enjoy yourself
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Do it. Like Punk Ninja said, everyone's in debt. The way I see it, at least you could get a job teaching guitar afterwards to pay off the debt. Plus, with all your friends leaving you might as well go too, meet some new people, jam! and just enjoy yourself

Youre probably right! I think about things too much sometimes
Quote by demon.guitarist
Thanks for the reply!

I will be going for the Higher diploma - the one below, unfortunately I wasnt offered degree- though possibly with a view to the degree course in the year that you join.

Debating whether it'd make more sense to take a year out and get on the degree course next year, or go for all three.

I understand that everyone gets into debt, but that debt packs a particular punch for musicians who get paid shit all- so reducing it is a big concern for me.

Gunna sleep on all of this and take a week to weigh everything up. Thanks so much for all the advice!

Yeah what I'm doing is taking a gap year, mainly to raise money and get everything sorted for getting into the uni/s.
Like I need to take my Theory Grade 5 and guitar grade 8 exams, I wouldn't mind to maybe get grade 8 in bass too, and get graded at the piano (for the past 6 years I've been too lazy to every actually take the exams, so I'm hitting them up now).

And with the debt, the best thing about being a musician, is that income can come from so many places. Of course it's quite unstable, but at the same time, when you have 5 sources of income, if one begins to lose you a bit of money, you still have money coming in.
Like, this video outlines what I'm trying to say a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWB2X90XCSg

You have to try not to worry too much about the debt and stuff.
Because if you work hard enough that sort of stuff should disappear eventually. If you aim low and miss your mark, you'll end up pretty damn low! But if you aim high and miss, you could always end up at a decent position.
You should run back to third and when the third baseman has the ball, turn real quick and run for home, then turn back around when the catcher has the ball. Eventually someone will screw up and throw it over the other guy's head.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
98% chance you'll never have this opportunity again.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Congrats TS.

My opinion, I'm American. I don't really know what the hell these acadamy's are that your talking about. BUT it sounds like a prestigious and exclusive academy. This could set you apart from other potential applicants of the same job.Also sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Go for it, Good luck!
If you're that undecided between the two options, I'm gonna suggest doing what a friend of mine did.

Basically, he was in a very similar situation, either go to uni to do a degree which could lead nowhere and leave him in debt, or go straight into a job.

He couldn't decide, so sat down, got a lot of paper and literally mapped out every possible result from each route. This included the pro's and con's of both in the short, medium and long terms, where he would be with each choice in 5, 10 and 15 years, and how each would impact his life in the smallest and biggest ways. It took him about one and a half weeks to finally finish it, but once he had, he had everything infront of him and it helped him make a decision quite easily. (He chose uni for those of you interested)

L.F.C
Quote by tubatom868686
One time I sneezed and pooped in my pants at someones house. It fell down my pantleg onto the floor. I blamed it on the dog. They believed me
In my experience, i've found those types of qualifications to be largely useless.

I'd say go for it. If it sucks you can always drop out, right?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████