Hello, I'm looking at taking the jump into tube amps here. If you guys could recommend one that's less than $500 CAD/USD that would be great!

Guitar: Epi Les Paul with Duncan JB&Jazz
Music: mostly hard rock, but also some lighter stuff like jazz and blues.

I was thinking that something that can do a clean, crunch, and OD, but with my budget, I don't know... doesn't have to be top priority.

Currently looking at a used Marshall DSL 401, but have read some reliability issues.

Thanks in advance guys!
i had a dsl 401, loved it, no reliability issues, but that can be said with every amp and every product ever. also check out: traynor yc50? blue i think it is. solid amp
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by KLanh
Hello, I'm looking at taking the jump into tube amps here. If you guys could recommend one that's less than $500 CAD/USD that would be great!

Guitar: Epi Les Paul with Duncan JB&Jazz
Music: mostly hard rock, but also some lighter stuff like jazz and blues.

I was thinking that something that can do a clean, crunch, and OD, but with my budget, I don't know... doesn't have to be top priority.

Currently looking at a used Marshall DSL 401, but have read some reliability issues.

Thanks in advance guys!

A peavey xxx
Just know if you can afford a Marshall amp....there something better and cheaper. Keep looking. Iv been trying to get a JCM2000 for a decent price and even then I know I can find some better or comparable amps for cheaper.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
eeeew beringher cab = doo doo construction.. DON'T DO IT, MAN!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by teamhex
Just know if you can afford a Marshall amp....there something better and cheaper. Keep looking. Iv been trying to get a JCM2000 for a decent price and even then I know I can find some better or comparable amps for cheaper.

Whats is this based on? I got my Marshall TSL 100 for $700, and i wasnt even looking for a marshall... I actually was against buying one, and after shopping around and decideing i wanted to get a JCA 100 from jet city i played it in the used section of guitar center, and compared to every other amp i played, it sounded great, alot better actually. Theres are reason marshall is a big name, because its good quality.

Sorry for the rant i just thought this was such a general statement and in alot of cases wrong because tone is subjective.

To answer OP's question, i would check out Jet City Amplifiers, they have a great tone and are good for the price, for jazz and blues i would look at one of the heads that has two channels, or the 50 watt JCA combo... i think they still sell those. Also, dont limit your self to a half stack, i dont know if you are from your original post but look at combos because usually they are a good choise and cheaper than a head + cab.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
dsl50 i say personally i have an epi black beauty with the same pickups. Im actually trying to get a dsl50 or dsl100 myself. I played the dsl100 and I found the cleans and distortions better than the tsl. but i say go try one out I loved the one I played.
Does the dsl 50 have a master volume like the dsl 401 ?
Quote by thejester
also check out: traynor yc50? blue i think it is. solid amp

+1 Great amps, I have one at the moment. Built like a brick shit house, weighs a ton though! Takes pedals very well and should suit your style. It is a prett dark amp, if you want something a smidgen lighter check out the Traynor YCV40

The YCV50 is maybe a lot for bedroom use though, you won't get her much above 1.5 without pissing off the neighbours
Last edited by ragingben at Jun 30, 2011,
Thanks everyone, I was able to get the DSL50 half stack a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds awesome! On some sort of Marshall kick now haha want to get a JCM 800 & 900... doubt I will though... a Mesa rectifier's still on my list of 'would likes'
HNAD!

How is it at lower volumes?

I would quite like a dsl but as a home player am interested in ability to sound good at lower volumes
It's not too bad, to me... I mean I have it at volume 1 and that's a little loud (depending what time of day it is)
I've ordered one of those volume boxes off ebay - we'll see how it works.