Hi,
I'll write something about tapping. You might think it's hard and it's going too fast for ya and you can't keep it up.

This is a regular problem that many asks about:
-Am I doing it wrong?
-Is it something wrong with my guitar?

I just want your views at this, just to see at what other UGs is thinking about this.

You have to start the tapping really slow (like other techniques as well) and you have to do IT CORRECT. This is the solution and the secret about tapping (remember to focus when you're practicin'!)

Slowly and correctly --> much better to listen to than a fast and bad played song

Views? (A kind of stupid for experienced guitarists, wrote this thread for newbeginners mainly)
Um, those principles apply for absolutely anything you do on the guitar.

You're not wrong in what you're saying, I just don't see the point in you telling us all what we already know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So you're saying to learn how to tap, you do the same exact thing that you would do learning anything else?

Fascinating
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Quote by steven seagull
Um, those principles apply for absolutely anything you do on the guitar.

You're not wrong in what you're saying, I just don't see the point in you telling us all what we already know.

Yes, of course, I know.
It's OK you don't see the point for posting this, but some newbeginners may get a kind of confused when they're trying tapping.

This thread will probably help some newbeginners. If not, don't care
Quote by soulsablaze
So you're saying to learn how to tap, you do the same exact thing that you would do learning anything else?

Fascinating

Yupp,
no new theory to learn in this thread actually.. but some newbeginners don't understand this.

Trust me.. I've seen it myself
You should prob put this in the "lessons" tab in correct practice instead. Since tomorrow this thread wont be on the front page of GT, and therefor "newbeginners" won´t see it.
Why do you keep saying "newbeginners"? It's completely redundant and wholly irritating.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
I'm confused. I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years. Am I a "newprofessional" or an "oldbeginner"?
We can't say. Paul Gilbert probably was a beast after having played for four years, but most of us are not half as amazing after six years. Everything is relative.
Yeah
Leave the guy alone, he was only trying to be helpful! lol
On topic though, I was actually very suprised at how easy tapping was to pick up, it looks and sounds so much harder than it actually is and I think everyone should give it a go regardless of wether you're gonna use it or not
Uploaded some MP3's onto my profile, please check 'em out & let me know what you think! :3
Quote by Dmaj7
I'm confused. I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years. Am I a "newprofessional" or an "oldbeginner"?

You're a probie.
Quote by Housequake
Leave the guy alone, he was only trying to be helpful! lol
On topic though, I was actually very suprised at how easy tapping was to pick up, it looks and sounds so much harder than it actually is and I think everyone should give it a go regardless of wether you're gonna use it or not

Thank you very much
You get it

Others:
If you think this is stupid: Don't care about it!
A month after getting my first guitar, I saw some guy at my school tapping. I just watched and said "Ok, index finger on one fret, skip 2 frets, Ring finger, skip 3 frets, tap with other hand." Taught myself after about a month.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by MidniteHaze
A month after getting my first guitar, I saw some guy at my school tapping. I just watched and said "Ok, index finger on one fret, skip 2 frets, Ring finger, skip 3 frets, tap with other hand." Taught myself after about a month.

so like A-B-D?? is there another chord name that would be other than like Asus2sus4no5?
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
There's two kind of tapping:
1. Poor man's speed playing like EVH does it
2. Complex tapping like Chris Broderick and the likes do it

The first kind everyrone can do. I assume you're not referring to the second kind.
Shit thread.
Quote by TehDutchDude
We can't say. Paul Gilbert probably was a beast after having played for four years, but most of us are not half as amazing after six years. Everything is relative.

Actually if you listen to the man himself speak, he still sucked after 4 years; he says it took him ages to even get around to the idea of alternate picking and it in fact took him a teacher to get there. He did specify a number of years but it's been a while since I watched that clinic video.

Quote by piszczel
There's two kind of tapping:
1. Poor man's speed playing like EVH does it
2. Complex tapping like Chris Broderick and the likes do it

The first kind everyrone can do. I assume you're not referring to the second kind.
Shit thread.

You are wrong. EVH uses it to get notes that are out of range of the fretting hand, exactly the same way as Broderick does, they are both as valid as each other as methods for expression. Shit post

Yes, it's an easy way to get speed but that's not what it's for, not by a long shot.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.