Howdy guys.

I have no idea how to swap out pickup. Not good with that kind of stuff. But how much would it cost to swap out the pickups in say an Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-xpt700-xiphos-electric-guitar) and put some BKP's in them?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I don't know, but I'm guessing it'll probably be more than buying a 20 dollar soldering iron, following a diagram and learning something in the process.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are so afraid of replacing pickups themselves. It really isn't difficult. Getting a store to do it is a waste of money. I've replaced a bunch of pickups, and I'm a complete fucking idiot (proven by science). If I can do it, anyone can.
Last edited by sashki at Jun 27, 2011,
I had some pups put in for 80 bucks. I got a tune up to my guitar with it though (fixing action, truss rod adjustments, intonation, etc.) so I'd say anywhere from 50-100 as a ballpark. But as above said, it's much easier just buying a soldering iron and doing it yourself. It's really something useful to know, especially if you plan on playing guitar for a while.
Quote by sashki
I don't know, but I'm guessing it'll probably be more than buying a 20 dollar soldering iron, following a diagram and learning something in the process.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are so afraid of replacing pickups themselves. It really isn't difficult. Getting a store to do it is a waste of money. I've replaced a bunch of pickups, and I'm a complete fucking idiot (proven by science). If I can do it, anyone can.

This man has a point. I plan to do the same!
If you really want them to just put in the pickups, it would probably cost about $20-$25 per pickup.

Since the strings will probably come off, it would make sense to do a complete set up, so there goes another $30-$50. Whatever you do, don't send it to GuitarCenter. They have a private guy do the set up, and it costs more since they have to send the guitar out, or make profit off handling the guitar, if the guy is in the store.
hs anybody ever though if this?

buy the pickups, unstring, screw pickup mounts, expose wiring,

>go to hobby store (like hobby town) or something

> ask them to do 4 simple soldering connection that you tell them to do, unsolder the one old ones, then you hand them the pickup and ask them to solder the new connections

> go home and reassemble the guitar yourself.

would that cost more ? you think asking a hobby town guy to bust out a solering iron and do 4 connections in front of you would cost a lot?

i suppose if you have never even worked on a guitar you can even get this far. but im just sayin. if GC will install, restring, and do a full setup, they are charging you way more than the simple 4 soldering joints would cost.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Since the strings will probably come off, ...

a guitar with a floyd can be done without removing the strings. just take off the springs and remove the entire bridge with the strings still locked in! of course, be very careful when you're doing this. i swapped pups on one of my guitars like this.
Quote by rebar71
a guitar with a floyd can be done without removing the strings. just take off the springs and remove the entire bridge with the strings still locked in! of course, be very careful when you're doing this. i swapped pups on one of my guitars like this.

Doesn't that mean you'd have to set the trem up after though?
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by sashki

this, I just put a pickup in.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

it's actually quite simple. you can look up a vid on youtube on how to do it.

@Twisted - you don't need to setup the trem again. you're not changing strings, you're not moving the claw, etc.

just use the bar to pull the trem back to loosen the springs, remove the springs - then hold on to the bar and let the trem slowly come up. as tension is released and the strings become loose with the bridge at an angle like you're diving all the way, with no spring tension on the underside, you can ease the trem off the posts. viola!