(uninspired title is uninspired)

Just did a soundtrackish piece to get some practice with EWQL. It's quite fantasy-inspired, and terribly cheesy.

Cheese aside, I'd like to think what people think about the mix and sounds in general. It feels a bit messy, at least in my headphones, but I've tried to clear up som room in the mix for the bass drums etc and did some light panning.

Some input on orchestration and texture would be nice too, don't often write for brass! Compositionwise, my biggest gripe was that I couldn't get a nice transition into the more hectic passage at around 01:40

links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrvG1EPaHg
http://soundcloud.com/desc/over-the-rolling-hills

C4C of course, just leave a link with your post!
Last edited by descara at Jun 27, 2011,
This isn't too shabby dude! Most modern orchestrated music, especially what gets used for fantasy movies and games must have a certain amount of cheese anyway, right?

For the most part the sounds you used are very good. I am listening through headphones too because my girlfriend is sleeping, but it sounds good to my ears. The instruments are all where they should be, and the bass drums is nice and boomy. The only gripe I have with the percussion is the crash cymbals. For whatever reason it doesn't sound like its being hit.. maybe your cymbal roll hits aren't far enough apart for the attack to come through.

The part at 1:40 is a bit hectic, but I really think your transition is fine. Apart from writing a new segment in between the two parts, I think you did a good job. I hear something that sounds a little out of place, its high in the mix panned a little to the right. Sounds kind of like a kazoo, haha. I would see how it sounds if you drop that noise from the mix.

From there til the end though, this is pretty dynamic and engaging. It builds nicely, and I think it really succeeds as an epic type song. It would fit in epicmealtime in my opinion, and that's really the only measure of how it stacks up. Great work on this piece.. you say its just for practice, and in that case I think you will do very well as you continue your work.

C4C if you get a chance-
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455255
hello descara my FRIEND!!

I'm glad you took a jump into some my music with an OPEN MIND! For this I will return my promise of a critique!!!

Ok here we GO!!

(grabbin headphones)

Ok so it's nice the ratata on the snare drum, and the chords with the interval of a SECOND in them in the left channel is nice while the brass in the RIGHT CHANNEL carries on a TRIUMPHANT MELODY that sets a mood of STRENGTH and DUTY.

Overall its carrying on well and I can see how this would fit really nicely to go with A VISUAL COMPONENT! even if it was SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN CREATION!!! I think the main comment you get is that a dominating MELODY never really enters the SOUNDSCAPE , but don't feel you always need such a thing.

OH AT THE HECTIC PART!!!

Consider that the transition would be MUCH longer than a fill, or one measure. Like, this part is sort of your counter theme, so I wouldnt put it RIGHT BESIDE the other one I think you could go on a big ADVENTURE where there are wondering WHEN AND WHERE TO LAND. In the scope of this piece, say 8-16 measures of adventure.

THE COUNTER THEME is very NICE in it's AGGRESSION it is just what the piece WANTED YOU TO DO!!!!

be proud good luck I commented on your channel to motivate you
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
hey whats up, i listened to your track and heres my 2 cents

musically the song is pretty good, i couldn't really hear the tonal center switch much. i could tell there were kinda chord progressions but it sounded like the root was going pretty much the whole time. i thought the theme could've used a bit more development, like what you made would be an excellent harmony for more melody.

im not a big fan of the panning, it feels like its panned too far which i didn't think was possible for classical music im having a hard time pointing out why it feels like that. just curious if you researched how orchestras are setup when performing live. i might recommend getting some charts off google and try mixing by the stage performance locations.

don't take my "constructive criticism" too harshly. i thought that the theme was quite good and the embellishments sounded great. keep writing , it's sounding really good.
I took a pee a few mnins ago what u doin?

edit : my roomate did that and THAT is funny so I will leave it.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by nightwind
I took a pee a few mnins ago what u doin?

edit : my roomate did that and THAT is funny so I will leave it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote by z4twenny
hey whats up, i listened to your track and heres my 2 cents

musically the song is pretty good, i couldn't really hear the tonal center switch much. i could tell there were kinda chord progressions but it sounded like the root was going pretty much the whole time. i thought the theme could've used a bit more development, like what you made would be an excellent harmony for more melody.

im not a big fan of the panning, it feels like its panned too far which i didn't think was possible for classical music im having a hard time pointing out why it feels like that. just curious if you researched how orchestras are setup when performing live. i might recommend getting some charts off google and try mixing by the stage performance locations.

don't take my "constructive criticism" too harshly. i thought that the theme was quite good and the embellishments sounded great. keep writing , it's sounding really good.

Huh. The orchestra setup is pretty much standard, and the panning pretty meek. Though given the relatively conservative use of violins, maybe I should switch around horns and perc to balance it out a bit. There's slight panning "built in" the EWQL samples (L to R something like vln1-2 | vla-cello/cb and perc-horn-brass), the way they were recorded I guess, so they're not always the most easy to work with in that respect.

Re: the first part, what can I say, I like drones. Not entirely happy with how the melodic thematic material isn't very clear either - in a way it's spread over horns/trombone and trumpet so it isn't very apparent to begin with, but I might try and orchestrate it so it's clearer.

Gonna take a look at putting a small interlude before the hectic part, just have to come up with what to base it on.
^ you're right, i think maybe it needs more panning it's hard to put my finger on, something doesn't feel balanced about the way its mixed. there were a couple parts where everything gelled nicely and i thought "ah ok i'm getting this" for example at 2:26 theres a brief lull and it seems like everything is really close together in relation to how many instruments are actually going. i think if all the instruments got a little more space it would sound bigger and fuller.

as for the panning in EWQL i know of their well intentioned prepanned sounds (i use it myself, check out the dichotomy of loss if you get bored) and sometimes you have to use different panning conventions based on the specific instruments and how many of them you have. just food for thought y'know. again just trying to give honest constructive crit

out of curiosity, what DAW are you using?
This is a really nice track, I could easily see this in some type of rpg game with dragons. The snare really makes this piece for me, it makes it feel much more epic. The melodies in the first and second part contract each other in a really good way. The only thing I think would make this a little better is if the part when everything drops out around 2:05 lasted a bit longer. Other than that this is a great composition, it makes me want to go on a journey to slay some dragons and find a castle. Nice job with this one!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455263
ok so i really dont know much at all about orchestral or classical or whatever you want to call it so i cant comment technically really, but then again neither do most people that hear it. all music is dependent and based around moods, but soundtrack pieces especially since they back pictures and ...well set the mood. so for me, the intro is a build up, like a gathering of forces. the rolls on the snare to me implies marching so im picturing troops perhaps, perhaps in medieval times to satisfy the fantastical element. to describe this song in one word i would say: conquest. i tell you this because sometimes we have intentions that are completely lost on other people and we dont even realize it. if these things were what you were shooting for, then right on. if not, well hey its still good but perhaps think about what you were aiming for and how they might have been lost in portrayal. its essential for theme music to capture the moment. hence the name THEME music, i guess haha so if you write more you should always ask people what it makes them think of as a test of seeing how well your ideas are holding up on other people

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455798