I don't know much about tremolos (tremeli?), but I hear a lot of criticism of cheap Ibanez locking trems like the Edge III.
I'm told that the knife edges wear out within half a year of regular use, and that all the screws strip as they're made of some cheap alloy.

I wonder how much of this is actually true.
These tremolos are featured on relatively affordable guitars. I imagine that many people who buys these guitars are buying one with a locking tremolo for the first time. Maybe the tuning problems come from the owner's inexperience in setting up the tremolo, rather than an inherent problem of the hardware.

I know that video demos are not really a good thing to base opinions on, but I've seen properly adjusted Edge III's seem to stay in tune pretty well, at least on new guitars anyway. A lot of UGers avoid the Edge III like the plague, as if it falls apart in your hands. Could it be that the faults are vastly exaggerated, and that a lot of its problems are attributed to bad setup and maintenance? Or am I missing the point?

I understand that it's a false economy either way, but are they really THAT bad?
no idea.

i know my lo-trs's knife edges wore out pretty darn quickly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RockGuitarist09
The edge III's aren't that bad, but i would take a good licensed floyd rose over it any day

That goes without saying.
What I'm concerned about is the belief that cheap tremolos are completely incapable of functioning properly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
no idea.

i know my lo-trs's knife edges wore out pretty darn quickly.

How quickly is pretty darn quickly? Within a year? Months? Weeks?
i think months.

i only discovered the knife edges were shot a year or two later when i took it in for a setup (was a noob at that point). but i remember the trem getting really bad, all of a sudden, a couple of months after I got it (and it never really got any worse from then on). So I assume a couple of months.

EDIT: if you ask me a lot of the cheaper ones *are* incapable of functioning properly. Go and try to get flutter out of one of the cheaper ones, even if it's brand new... o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I Have the zr tremolo, which everyone gave shit because the socket apparently breaks. I've only had it half a year but I've been dive-bombing the shit out of it and it still works perfectly.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

part of the problem is that noobs tend to beat the piss out of a trem (cheap or not) instead of taking the time to learn how to actually use one. the cheap ones do use inferior parts so they do wear out faster even if taken care of.
i've got a edge 3 tremolo and it's ****ing awful. it takes any oppurtunity to sink and it often goes considerably out of tune when you put the string locks on at the nut. two of the saddles burst forwards and put a noticable dent in the wood, and another one of them had the little black bit inside snap.
A bad tremolo is BAD. It won't stay in tune and will give you no end of trouble. I used to be a real tight arse but I'm not realising generally you do get what you pay for up to a point (at which the "bang for buck" ratio goes downhill) and it's worth investing in a good steady guitar or piece of equipment.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
certainly, alot of the trem issues (cheap ones and good ones) are possible to track down to mis-use, abuse, poor setups and other owner related issues.

however, cheaper locking trems do tend to wear out extremely quickly due to the cheaper alloys involved. additionally, poor quality control during production results in looser tolerances, which means that things will wear down quicker because they almost fit properly, but dont.