She finally arrived from Japan

First impressions:

Grabbed this off E-Bay NEW for $2126. I've owned ibanez guitars before, but this is my first ever J Custom. My favorite part is the neck, its so thin which makes it a breeze to play on. Most round profile necks cramp up my hand, but this neck is the most comfortable I've ever played. The fret spacing is pretty huge, which will take some getting used to. The tree of life/vine inlays are great eyecandy.

I tuned her up, and started playing. In comparison to my ESP LTD MH-350NT, the tone sounds ridiculously similar due to EMG's on both guitars. The only difference I can really notice is that the J Custom seems a tad brighter and lighter, but that's probably because of the stock strings being really, really thin. Sustain is very good, tremolo is a bit stiff, but thats ok since the Edge-Zero keeps in the tuning pretty well.

Gonna grab some fresh batteries, strings, and give it a proper setup tomorrow, should sound beastly
Last edited by raz1289 at Jun 27, 2011,
EMGs sound a lot alike in similar shaped guitars. I would guess that the Ibanez is basswood with a maple neck and the LTD is mahogany, though? It would make sense for the Ibanez to sound brighter.

HNGD, that thing is awesome!

Neither really. I think its due to EMGs giving a consistent tone/sound on different guitars.
Quote by raz1289

that the J Custom seems a tad brighter and lighter, but that's probably because of the stock strings being really, really thin.

HNGD J-customs are very nice!

I have 2 other explanations though: Bolt on vs set neck, floating trem with springs vs string trough body.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ +1

sweet guitar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im jelly congratz
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
That's a beautiful guitar. HNGD!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Meh, RG's and superstrats have never done anything for me. But HNGD all the same.

And you spent 2k on a guitar off of eBay?! Damn you musta been sure about that...
Wasn't expecting this, looks ace. HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuum son.

That's gorgeous, great find man, hope she plays as good as she looks.

ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I. hate. you. so. ****ing. much. I'm going to rob you of that guitar dammit. I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. It's beautiful bro. HNGD!!
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)

That is beautiful, I just wished the flames were more apparent in photos, I am willing to bet you any money that once you get used to it, you will never touch one of your other guitars again.

HNGD, I am very very jealous.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Meh, RG's and superstrats have never done anything for me. But HNGD all the same.

And you spent 2k on a guitar off of eBay?! Damn you musta been sure about that...

I'd trust Meetersparkle with my life...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
EMG's and the fret inlays kill it for me.

Other than that, i came.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
You bought a $2,000+ guitar, and it only barely sounds better than your $500 LTD and the bridge doesn't even keep it in tune impeccably? Oh jeez, here come the Ibanez fanboys.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I only said the tones were similar, it doesn't mean its necessarily better or worse. Of course that is subjective to your ears, but i do like the consistent sound that EMGs give in different guitars. Also, yes the bridge is stiff, but because of that it is kept in tune VERY well. This is one of the best bridges i've played on. It also plays way better than my LTD because i'm more comfortable on Ibanez necks.

Slapped on some new batteries, strings, and set it up. My LTD doesn't even compete with this. I'm extremely happy with my purchase =)