Its time for a new amp for me. i play 80s thrash, and dont really play blues and other clean sounds too much so i dont really need a good clean sound, just one that gets the job done. Right now i have a Line 6 spider IV 120 (biggest mistake of my life) and play with some distortion pedals that dont have the right sound for me, and play through an ibanez rg4exfm1 (why do guitars need crazy names). i am planning to buy an amp in the 600$ dollar range as i dont have a job. So far my considerations have been a vox valvetronix vt 80, a peavey 6505+ 112, and a peavey vypyr tube 120 watt. i dont really wnat to buy anything used. can i also have other suggestions? thanks for any replies
Last edited by livingston96 at Jun 27, 2011,
out of those, the Peavey 6505+. If you're willing to go used and extend your budget, a Marshall JCM 800 wouldn't hurt. The most excellent amp for 80's thrash IMO.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i read the 6505 was super good for new metal tones, but can you get a good old tone out of it? thanks
if you EQ it right you prolly could.

and like that dude said a JCM 800 would be great if you could save up more money.

or a Mesa/Boogie.

when i think 80's thrash i think metallica, megadeth, some slayer-esque type of sound. is that what you're goin for?
Quote by livingston96
i read the 6505 was super good for new metal tones, but can you get a good old tone out of it? thanks

Well, sure if you don't add gain too much, but I think that if you're more into just 80's thrash and not new stuff, you'd be better off with the good ol' Marshall JCM800/900. Or then the new Marshall 2203KK head, but that's out of your budget..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.