alright, just recently started trying to record on my computer. i have reaper and plugged my amp from the record out to the line/mic in on my computer, played, and it sounds like complete ass. it just sounds awful, feedback, static, what do i need to do to make it sound good? no idea about my sound card specs btw, just whatever my computer came with
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
^ +1

it sounds like ass because you're running your amp straight in. you need a mic and a soundcard specifically for recording.
Could someone post a link or whatever so I can get an idea what I need?
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
It seems like so many questions that get asked around here can simply be answered with "You need to buy an interface"

By the sounds of it, you are just wanting to record guitar. Line 6 have a whole range of interfaces perfect for home recording. However, if you can see yourself wanting to capture sounds with an actual microphone, you'll want an interface that also has XLR inputs. M-Audio would be a good place to start looking.
Quote by ZombieCommando
It seems like so many questions that get asked around here can simply be answered with "You need to buy an interface"

By the sounds of it, you are just wanting to record guitar. Line 6 have a whole range of interfaces perfect for home recording. However, if you can see yourself wanting to capture sounds with an actual microphone, you'll want an interface that also has XLR inputs. M-Audio would be a good place to start looking.

Because 90 percent of the threads on here give interface suggestions. Its not hard to pen a thread and find multiple suggestions.
Also most Line 6 interfaces have XLR ports. What you really need to look for if using mics is phantom power. Phantom power is required on condenser micas which is ideal for most vocals.

I have owned and used many interfaces in the price range of line 6 ux2 and m-audio fast track pro mk ii. If I ever bought an interface in this price range again I would probably get a Focusrite interface.