WARNING, PROBABLE WALL OF TEXT:

Hi, I'm currently in the process of trying to get a new amp, and on my search today(played a bunch of Marshalls, some Traynors, a Hughes And Kettner and some Oranges, and was surprised with my lack of satisfaction at most of them to be honest, Marshall MAs are pretty horrid for $800 tube amps...) I came across a Traynor Custom Special 50H at Long And McQuade. I played it through a Traynor 4x10, and was downright blown away, it was pretty much the exact tone I was looking for, and decided to rent it to see if I really wanted it(went through an incident with a Fender that I thought I liked but really didn't and got for Christmas regardless). I rented the amp, but as the floor model was all hooked up and such, I took a brand new one home with me, straight out of the warehouse.

I hooked it up when I got home, and after 45 minutes of noodling with it decidedly the amp doesn't quite sound like it did in the store; the one in the store had a really crisp, bright tone a la JCM800 with a little more gain, whereas this one sounds okay, but it's a tad on the muddy side, lots more bass to it. I can't remember where I heard it, but I've heard that after your tubes go through a little use they tend to get brighter tonally, or something like that. Would this be a factor? Also, I'm using a Crate 1x15 bass cab, so I'm sure that has something to do with the tone, but I wouldn't imagine it'd completely change the tone, would it? As for the guitars, I used a Gibson SG Standard at the shop, and at home I've got a Dean MLX(basswood with maple neck) with a DiMarzio Super Disto in the bridge and a Schecter Damien Elite(mahogany with maple neck), so I think if anything my guitars would be brighter than the SG. Thanks!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Yes, speakers have a lot to do with tone.

A 4x10 is going to be a lot brighter than a 1x15.
EQ settings? same?
15" bass cab would be darker than a 4x10 and the room would /totally/ change the sound
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
The EQ settings are pretty much the same, but I'm thinking it's probably the speakers...xD Thanks guys!
Quote by SlayingDragons
One thing you have to remember, is that different room acoustics will have varying effects on an amp. What sounds good in the store may sound totally different at home. Keep this in mind with all speakers, and especially speaker reviews. Another thing that effects the speaker is humidity. Room humidity has not only an impact on your guitar, but it also effects the speaker cabinet and the speaker.

Edit: Something else to add to that, is that not every speaker sounds the same. Speakers can be a lot like guitars - grab two guitars and play them. Even though they're the same model, they sound slightly different. A lot of times, when we mic a cab for recording, we'll listen to all the speakers in a cab and pick the best sounding one. A lot of variables to deal with here. And... You took home a new system. That floor model has had a chance to break in. The one you took home will do that in time as you play it. It may improve...
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 27, 2011,
^what i was getting at.. when i play in my room the mids are a LOT more prominent but my friend's basement has less mids and more high end

EDIT: and new speakers are sharply bright compared to broken in speakers, so if the 10 inchers were newer than the 15" they'd be a LOT brighter
so adjust the EQ
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Jun 27, 2011,
Quote by IronMaiden76
^what i was getting at.. when i play in my room the mids are a LOT more prominent but my friend's basement has less mids and more high end

Exactly. The room and environment has a big impact on the sound.
Quote by KG6_Steven
One thing you have to remember, is that different room acoustics will have varying effects on an amp. What sounds good in the store may sound totally different at home. Keep this in mind with all speakers, and especially speaker reviews. Another thing that effects the speaker is humidity. Room humidity has not only an impact on your guitar, but it also effects the speaker cabinet and the speaker.

Edit: Something else to add to that, is that not every speaker sounds the same. Speakers can be a lot like guitars - grab two guitars and play them. Even though they're the same model, they sound slightly different. A lot of times, when we mic a cab for recording, we'll listen to all the speakers in a cab and pick the best sounding one. A lot of variables to deal with here. And... You took home a new system. That floor model has had a chance to break in. The one you took home will do that in time as you play it. It may improve...

Alright, so they DO break in? Thanks! And Iunno if humidity'd be a big thing from here to L&M, it's only down the road, but you never know. xD Thanks guys!
Quote by SlayingDragons
The 15 inch bass speaker is contributing the most to the undesirable tone. Guitar amps are designed around huge bass speakers, and likewise big 15 inch bass speakers aren't designed to do much good to the guitar's midrange.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
same amp diff cab...... " I wonder why it sounds diffrent?"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I owned a Peavey Delta Blues 115 and 210 amp. Both were the exact same amp. I put the same brand of tubes in the amp. Had the settings exactly the same.

The 210 was extremely bright, while the 115 had a giant low end.

Your speaker is the biggest problem right now. Its like when you take a Vox AC30 and don't use an AlNiCo Blue. It doesn't sound right.

As far as tubes burning in, they usually become more "regular" is what I call it. I don't hear a tone difference when tubes "burn" in, but I do notice a much more consistent operating point.

The tubes may be crappy though. I would look at that after trying with a different speaker.
not all 15"'s are bad for tone. i have a Randall Cab that houses 2x12"s and 1x15" with MIE T75's and an eminence legend, and it is absolutely killer for the Pro Mod. none of my other cabinets sounded near as good with it (i think i am up to 9 or so cabs), as it did with that 15"

this i am not positive in saying, so don't quote me, but from my understanding different speakers are designed around a certain frequency response. for example that 15" legend (which i have ran alone for fun, with out the two twelves) does great (with some EQing) on the with a number of my ams. now if you were to take a bass speaker that would come in a bass amp, it may operate at different frequencies not work for guitar as well.

so bottom line its the cab making the difference. i personally would love to hear the difference on the aformentioned Peavey delta blues 1x15" and 4x10".
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/