Page 1 of 2
OliNotDead!
144 IQ
im going for a tone thats a bit beyond metalcore but not as heavy as deathcore like a washed down deathcore such as old Bring Me The Horizon no store around me either youtube videos play some stupid classic rock so yeah haha i need help deciding
Cheers
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
either one will do exactly what you want to be honest. they just do it in different ways...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Recto = Huge tone, muddier, loose lowend (assuming we're talking about 3 channel ones here)

5150 = More focused tone, clearly, tight.

Just depends what you want. Go for a 2 channel Recto and you'll have the best of both worlds
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
shredftw
Back from the dead
1,679 IQ
completely different amps

6505 is kinda the staple of metal/death core and is a very good amp for the money, it does that stuff very well. personally tho i find them a tad generic sounding

a Recto has a totally different character to it, and the best way to choose is to try them both out for yourself and see which you prefer tbh
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
6505 is a generic as a Rec sound and vica versa.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
coolstoryangus
Ludicrous Display!
820 IQ
Why the hell would you want your tone to sound like old bring me the horizon?

Its pretty horrid tone.

You'd probablys be happy with a 6505 and a dual recto with teh b00zts
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
I find the triple recto to be very muddy, I dont like it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
themelodicdeathshow
UG Addict
968 IQ
Not that huge of a difference OTHER than the triple will kill the 6505 in basically everything it does.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
1,482 IQ
Quote by slipknot_420
Not that huge of a difference OTHER than the triple will kill the 6505 in basically everything it does.

I disagree.
I much prefer the 6505 to the Rec.
I've said it many times, and I stick by it.
I'm not a fan of the Recs. Too muddy and the low end is too loose for my tastes.
I prefer a JCM800 to everything else though.

TS, try out both amps and see what you like. You may like the Rec, you may not.
You may like the 6505, you may not.
Try 'em out and see which one you prefer.
themelodicdeathshow
UG Addict
968 IQ
Quote by darkwolf291
I disagree.
I much prefer the 6505 to the Rec.
I've said it many times, and I stick by it.
I'm not a fan of the Recs. Too muddy and the low end is too loose for my tastes.
I prefer a JCM800 to everything else though.

TS, try out both amps and see what you like. You may like the Rec, you may not.
You may like the 6505, you may not.
Try 'em out and see which one you prefer.

I was basically saying the triple is way more versatile, but also that it will rec a 6505+
Get it
But seriously it is personal preference I like 6505+ and 5150/6505s, but I prefer a mesa recto to them.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
6505 would be better if you're looking for gain - the Rectifiers aren't actually that high gain (compared to the 6505 anyway). They do sound big and heavy though.

Anyway, you're probably looking for modern tightness, so that pretty much rules out the Recto.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
themelodicdeathshow
UG Addict
968 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
6505 would be better if you're looking for gain - the Rectifiers aren't actually that high gain (compared to the 6505 anyway). They do sound big and heavy though.

Anyway, you're probably looking for modern tightness, so that pretty much rules out the Recto.

Rectifiers have a shit ton of gain
And sound pretty modern to me still
Most bands use boosts in front of both these amps anyways, or mod them.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by slipknot_420

Hardly.

They are completely different sounding amps. The Recto might be more versatile, but it's also looser and muddier (3 channels)

I would gladly take a 2 channel Recto over a 5150, at the same price point, but comparing an amp that costs twice as much as the other is a little asinine.

FWIW, a 3 channel Triple Recto is quite possible the worst sounding amp I've ever heard in my life - So much so that I would take a Spider over it. The 3 channel Dual I had after it was significantly better, but was still very muddy and boomy. The 2 channels absolutely slay though, it's like night and day between the two. I dunno what Mesa was thinking when they "upgraded" those amps

Quote by Offworld92
Rectifiers aren't actually that high gain (compared to the 6505 anyway).

WHAT!?

Rectos have MORE gain than 6505s, and a lot more that is completely unusable... unless you want a super muddy tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Kev_369
278 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
Recto = Huge tone, muddier, loose lowend (assuming we're talking about 3 channel ones here)

5150 = More focused tone, clearly, tight.

What I came in to say. The biggest thing you should be worrying about is making sure you get a recto cab regardless, or at least not the stock 6505 cab.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,210 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hardly.

They are completely different sounding amps. The Recto might be more versatile, but it's also looser and muddier (3 channels)

I would gladly take a 2 channel Recto over a 5150, at the same price point, but comparing an amp that costs twice as much as the other is a little asinine.

FWIW, a 3 channel Triple Recto is quite possible the worst sounding amp I've ever heard in my life - So much so that I would take a Spider over it. The 3 channel Dual I had after it was significantly better, but was still very muddy and boomy. The 2 channels absolutely slay though, it's like night and day between the two. I dunno what Mesa was thinking when they "upgraded" those amps

WHAT!?

Rectos have MORE gain than 6505s
, and a lot more that is completely unusable... unless you want a super muddy tone.

O_O

WHAT!? And 6505's already have a shit-ton of gain to speak of. I'm kinda
and I completely agree on the 3 channel rectos. Not at all what I was expecting, considering I heard all that metallica (read as: fairly tight) was recorded using rectos and/or Marks. Did really enjoy the Mark V when I tried it though, very versatile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
cheseagrinwh0re
225 IQ
Quote by coolstoryangus
Why the hell would you want your tone to sound like old bring me the horizon?

Its pretty horrid tone.

You'd probablys be happy with a 6505 and a dual recto with teh b00zts

its preference man we are in the same band and personally i love their old tone so dont judge and give him your opinion on what amp will suit us....d#@n is it that hard? and i had a pretty good deal for a marshall jcm800 for 800 us dollars...will it suit our style? sorry nathan but im jacking your thread haha b$#@h!!! cheers
Civic
66 IQ
I'm a Rectifier guy.. they aren't muddy if you don't over-do it on the gain (something you also must be conscious of with the 6505). I find the 6505s to be a little to fizzy for my liking. I like the thickness and chunk of a Rectifier. They both have very different characteristics. Both are fantastic amps.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Ignite
   
2,078 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw

FWIW, a 3 channel Triple Recto is quite possible the worst sounding amp I've ever heard in my life - So much so that I would take a Spider over it.

You'd take a spider over this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGnWufCjso

It's just a triple rec with a boost. That's it. And it sounds fantastic.
(the intro in that video isn't a rec)
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 24, 2011,
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by Ignite
You'd take a spider over this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGnWufCjso

It's just a triple rec with a boost. That's it. And it sounds fantastic.
(the intro in that video isn't a rec)

I have owned a 3 channel triple Recto before, so yes

The 3 channel dual I had sounded pretty good with KT-77s in it though, but there was absolutely no clarity in that amp when it comes to chords
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
that video seems to have a good bit of clarity. maybe you just haven't owned enough high end amps MC

trolololol
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by InanezGuitars44
that video seems to have a good bit of clarity. maybe you just haven't owned enough high end amps MC

trolololol

To be fair though, I didn't even watch the video until now

I like big, dissonant chords that incorporate the top string in drop tunings - The 3 channels just do not have the clarity to pull those off, and he never plays any in that video.

I did like the cleans from the Stone Sour song he did, though

Also, to be fair - I never even tried the 3 channel Triple with a boost, because it just sounded like so much ass without one that I didn't feel like it was even worth trying I hate amps that need a boost to sound good.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
hahahaha. it's weird that amps like that can go from worthless to worth 1000 or so by putting a tubescreamer in front lol.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by InanezGuitars44
hahahaha. it's weird that amps like that can go from worthless to worth 1000 or so by putting a tubescreamer in front lol.

True story.

That was the case with the Bogner Uberschall for me. Cool amp for some looser hard rock tones by itself, but nothing I'd use. With a boost, it became pretty beastly - Too bad it also got super noisy

I dunno, call me crazy... but I don't want to spend 2 grand on an amp just for it to only sound good with a $100 pedal pushing it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
you....spend 2000 on an amp? doubt it. lololol

yeah i mean if i'm going to buy a 2000 loose muddy amp, it better take a klon or something to tighten it up. none of this non-true bypass, non-boutique, non-vintage, non-expensive crap

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by InanezGuitars44
you....spend 2000 on an amp? doubt it. lololol

yeah i mean if i'm going to buy a 2000 loose muddy amp, it better take a klon or something to tighten it up. none of this non-true bypass, non-boutique, non-vintage, non-expensive crap

I feel like this conversation is going nowhere quickly.

I approve of your trolololololing
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ

i'll facebook you or something haha. or google+, it preserves teh toanz

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
GS LEAD 5
4,966 IQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWer6vLy_i4

/thread

EDIT: On a more serious note, any idea how he gets that sound? Every other vid ive seen has a much harsher grain to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kebaRe2AOOA&feature=related

This oens a more realistic video of what to expect.

Btw its a two channel
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 25, 2011,
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
i think all the feared clips sound the same haha. he just has one sound he goes for, and pretty much gets it with every amp. i'm sure he does a lot to the tracks before uploading them

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ignite
   
2,078 IQ
Well guys, the words of Ola Englund himself:
"IMO I don't think that one is tighter than the other. I've never bothered to much about which version of the rectifier to get. They're all GREAT!"

He has owned/played both, get's great tones, and really knows what he's doing. If HE doesn't notice too much of a difference.. then.. i don't know.

There's a video comparing the Dual and Triple recto that sound really great on youtube without a boost or anything. IMO the Triple actual sounds only slighter better/fuller but not by much.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-txiKWJt6M

edit:
well it wasn't as great as I remember but oh well
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 25, 2011,
Goodtimes666
Doesn't even need a title
883 IQ
the 6505+ is what bring me the horizon actually uses and was used to record count your blessings so it can get extremely close to their sound if thats what you want.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
GS LEAD 5
4,966 IQ
Quote by Ignite
Well guys, the words of Ola Englund himself:
"IMO I don't think that one is tighter than the other. I've never bothered to much about which version of the rectifier to get. They're all GREAT!"

He has owned/played both, get's great tones, and really knows what he's doing. If HE doesn't notice too much of a difference.. then.. i don't know.

There's a video comparing the Dual and Triple recto that sound really great on youtube without a boost or anything. IMO the Triple actual sounds only slighter better/fuller but not by much.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-txiKWJt6M

edit:
well it wasn't as great as I remember but oh well

I wouldnt say theres no difference- the Triple always sounded slightly flubbier to me
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i think all the feared clips sound the same haha. he just has one sound he goes for, and pretty much gets it with every amp. i'm sure he does a lot to the tracks before uploading them

Why don't you learn how he does it, here, I'll give you his video lesson on how he records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLhv0rId5k
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by Ignite

I really don't trust the opinions of anyone from the Sneap forum anymore.

After hearing them almost unanimously say that EMGs are amazing and BKPs suck, I've pretty much lost faith in their ability to hear anything other than generic metalcore. Not only that, but I had a 3 day long argument with some guy on there about how the 5150 and 6505+ sound quite different in voicing. He said it sounded the same as the 5150, AND he also said that the bias sweep of the 6505+ is high enough to cook up your tubes (when in reality, even running it at full shouldn't be high enough).

People on that forum might know how to mix and record, but they don't know shit about unprocessed guitar tones.

That and Ola listed the Line 6 Spider IV in his "Top 10 Best Metal Amps" in one of the threads I was reading the other day, based off of what he's owned and heard
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
shredftw
Back from the dead
1,679 IQ
if its a 2 channel recto, get it. if not the 6505 is probably a better choice.

the 3 channel rectos are still good i think, i can get very usable and clear tones out of mine even with stock tubes, but most people still dont like them. 6505 is a safe bet, but is a tad generic sounding IMO
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by shredftw
6505 is a safe bet, but is a tad generic sounding IMO

And a Recto isn't?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
shredftw
Back from the dead
1,679 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
And a Recto isn't?

recto's are rare in comparison, and every metal band seems to use a 5150 or some derivative of that amp these days
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults