so I was playing a song out of The Real Book 6th Edition, and I was just doing some improv soloing over the tune and when I got to the fully diminished chord I got stuck, because it was the perfect time for a switch, and right now I'm working with my major modes, learning how to use them. so I was wondering could anyone tell me, which major mode do I use over a fully diminished chord? or rather some people know it as a diminished 7 chord.

thanks for all help in advance.
depends on what chord in what key. what are we talking here?

you could use the diminished scale. don't think of it as using a mode, because you're not using a mode. think about the key and adapting when chords outside the key show up.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
learn your diminished scale, which is just whole step-half step-W-H, etc. then come up with some cool patterns based on that and work on those. I'd also recommend the forum on jazzguitar.be for questions like these. There are some really good players there...
ok thanks for the help, I seen some things on other sites about the diminshed scale, but I know there is a major mode I can adapt to it as well, I was trynna see if I could find out what it was. well, I assume there is, as you use the locrian for your half diminished chord (1 b3 b5 b7) so I figured you could use a major mode for the fully diminished chord (1 b3 b5 bb7). I thought maybe Phrygian, but I wasn't positive. If there is a major mode, it would be good to know which one. Still, I'll learn my diminished scale too, thanks for that.
Quote by dttjaron
ok thanks for the help, I seen some things on other sites about the diminshed scale, but I know there is a major mode I can adapt to it as well, I was trynna see if I could find out what it was. well, I assume there is, as you use the locrian for your half diminished chord (1 b3 b5 b7) so I figured you could use a major mode for the fully diminished chord (1 b3 b5 bb7). I thought maybe Phrygian, but I wasn't positive. If there is a major mode, it would be good to know which one. Still, I'll learn my diminished scale too, thanks for that.

i think you'd benefit from a more thorough understanding of the major scale and tonal harmony. because 99.99% of the time, you don't play the locrian mode over a diminished chord -- you play the major/minor scale corresponding to the key.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.