*I'm not good at writing tab. The timing isn't really on my tab; I've tabbed like 3 of my songs; never a solo (never wrote one)

Anyway, this first started off as a riff at the much lower frets; but I was never really happy with it, and so for laughs, turned it into a solo. This is only half, but when I played it it seemed to jazzy or bluesy. Should I rearrange the notes or just play at higher/lower frets? Its meant to be an indie rock/alternative solo.

I'm a beginner, and this most likely isn't on a scale, and my first lesson is tomorrow. I've written Power Chord tabs, but thats it. So it may suck, but give it a play.

E|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|
B|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|
G|--------13b-12-10---|-12----10-----------|----12b-10----10----|-12b-12-------------|
D|-----12-------------|----10----10-12b----|-10--------12-------|--------14----------|
A|-12-----------------|-----------------12-|--------------------|-----------13-10-12-|
E|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|

Thank you for the feedback. Any opinions would help a lot.
Last edited by dkeenan at Jun 27, 2011,
That's an excellent solo! I just played it with max distortion and all my neighbours have come running saying how cool it was...

The only thing I would like to suggest (don't feel obliged) is maybe change the tuning to DEGDBC and also try a capo on the 2nd fret?
Quote by George Harrison
I can`t put more than 4 notes together in a run
Quote by davey1272250
That's an excellent solo! I just played it with max distortion and all my neighbours have come running saying how cool it was...

The only thing I would like to suggest (don't feel obliged) is maybe change the tuning to DEGDBC and also try a capo on the 2nd fret?

Thats pretty stunning... lol.

It just seems really jazzy for me, which really isn't my thing. I haven't played it on my DS1 but its worth a try.

I'll also keep that tuning in mind.
Quote by davey1272250

Dont be a douche, man, help a guy out. . .

TS, what do you mean by 'too jazzy'? Is there a vibe you're hearing in it that jarrs you?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Sorry dude, I was just having a larf!

It's pretty hard to play a tab without having heard the melody/riff before, or knowing the key, or the underlying chords...

Sorry for fooling with ya! Good luck with the lesson, enjoy the journey...
Quote by George Harrison
I can`t put more than 4 notes together in a run
Quote by gwitersnamps
Dont be a douche, man, help a guy out. . .

TS, what do you mean by 'too jazzy'? Is there a vibe you're hearing in it that jarrs you?

I think the tuning its at or the notes feel like its a little jazzy or bluesly; I feel like Dicky Betts should be playing it, not someone like Jerry Cantrell or Kurt Cobain.

Quote by davey1272250
Sorry dude, I was just having a larf!

It's pretty hard to play a tab without having heard the melody/riff before, or knowing the key, or the underlying chords...

Sorry for fooling with ya! Good luck with the lesson, enjoy the journey...

Lol, I had a feeling your neighbors sat right where they were, if it was played at all. But I ran it through Distortion. and it doesn't sound bad through that.

I really don't have a riff/verse that goes with it. I initially had it as a main riff it self, and I moved it up 10 frets and had it play at the ADG strings rather than EAD to give it a different viewpoint. I also kind of adjusted the notes. The riff was some trash, haha.

At least you elevated my mood for a few minutes
Seems like you're orbiting around F major, and you're using the F pentatonic/major blues scale, which is definitely going to sound like Betts.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Seems like you're orbiting around F major, and you're using the F pentatonic/major blues scale, which is definitely going to sound like Betts.

I see.

I'll use it as practice; no reason why I couldn't. After playing it over and over I really couldn't think of anything to go with it other than something than blues.

Thanks for the input.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
could you explain how to play this? does it have a triplet feel to it? it is straight eighth notes in 6/8?
Quote by amonamarthmetal
could you explain how to play this? does it have a triplet feel to it? it is straight eighth notes in 6/8?

Its pretty complicated - as I said, I'm a beginner; I could show you in person the timing, but never in a million years could I explain to you the timing.

I know it sounds stupid, but besides this, I've only written stuff w/ barre chords and power chords. My first lesson is in a few hours but besides that, I can only just play parts of covers.

EDIT: Even if you play it slow or fast, you'll probably know what I mean about the blues sound.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Well I played it as straight 8th notes and then in a 'Blues' style as it sounds mainly blues based. I have a feeling it's the F Blues scale with the exception of the E natural. You should flatten (decrease one fret) or sharp (Increase one fret) that.

IF you want to be able to post decipherable notation then I suggest that in your next lesson that you begin with reading (Notation and key signatures/scales), fretboard knowledge and rhythm. Those are the main things you should start on. If your teacher can only provide you with technical merit through learning artists songs then I advise a new teacher.