Page 1 of 2
Just looking for some criticism regarding technique and playing-style, so I figured I'd let The Pit see a few covers I have on youtube.

Please keep in mind that the music being covered is of a heavier/technical nature, and I would prefer if you looked at the most recent videos so that technique improvements can be as relevant as possible.

Also, please don't spam my actual youtube account/videos, just looking for some constructive criticism.

Thank you for any/all comments!

www.youtube.com/user/gravyonmypotatoes

Got Djent?
You suck at everything.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Marshmelllow
study jazz and music theory, come back in 10 years.

I listen to jazz and classical daily, and I just finished an AP highschool theory class and plan on studying in college.

I haven't been playing for over 4 years yet, just looking for specified areas for improvement, thank you for all the help and understanding.
Got Djent?
Quote by Cyngus
you need to turn the gain and reverb up as high as possible then it will be perfect

I wasn't asking for comments on the tone, I'm working with the practice amp I have until I can afford a head.

Once, again just looking for areas to improve as far as PLAYING goes (i.e. picking technique, fretting, etc.)
Got Djent?
Quote by blackflag49
You're tacky and I hate you.

Hey, Turkey Sub, what about you?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Your picking technique is fine ... it just needs to be 20% more efficient.

Smaller movements and less anchoring.
Quote by metal4eva_22

Thank you God himself for someone legitimately responding.

I appreciate it, thank you.
Got Djent?
Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Okay, you're awfully defensive for someone A. asking for crit and B. asking for crit IN THE PIT.

BTW, I have that shirt. I've never been remotely interested in playing anything like that so I can't comment on your technique.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Okay, you're awfully defensive for someone A. asking for crit and B. asking for crit IN THE PIT.

BTW, I have that shirt. I've never been remotely interested in playing anything like that so I can't comment on your technique.

Nah, just expected some sort of maturity regarding actually being relevant to what I was asking.. But I guess that's kind-of a naive approach in The Pit

Good point. XD
Got Djent?
Nice shirt

Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
Nah, just expected some sort of maturity regarding actually being relevant to what I was asking.. But I guess that's kind-of a naive approach in The Pit

Good point. XD

oh the 'i expected more maturity' card. i remember playing that one as well.
i agree with what Scyther said about you're picking being a bit inefficient. economy of motion is key for technical playing. also, during a lot of the lead parts, you tended to not use your pinky as much as you should of, using mainly the index, middle, and ring fingers when the runs would have been much more efficient with four fingers. we'd need to see a harder song to really rate your abilities though, because as far as metal goes, that was an easy song.

other than that, listen to better bands. lololol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I agree with the guy who said smaller movements.
Also, I can't really tell, but your hand seems to be really tight. Keep it relaxed when you want to play fast.

Watch these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxU_fzC1Io
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0K6z3mw91Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRBrELqoQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoEl5TtZUw
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by theogonia777
i agree with what Scyther said about you're picking being a bit inefficient. economy of motion is key for technical playing. also, during a lot of the lead parts, you tended to not use your pinky as much as you should of, using mainly the index, middle, and ring fingers when the runs would have been much more efficient with four fingers. we'd need to see a harder song to really rate your abilities though, because as far as metal goes, that was an easy song.

other than that, listen to better bands. lololol

Thank you, I'll work on minimizing movements and getting more precise- and as far as seeing a harder song, I've been playing about 3 and a half years.. haha. And I wouldn't say this is one of my bands I frequently listen to, they just have fun songs to cover.
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie

Good point. XD

Ya, the pit is pretty much a self-righteous, testosterone driven, version of 4chan with a condom. At least the people of 4chan realize they're retarded.

If you ask for critique in other area of UG you'll get people telling you to: A) Not Anchor and B) minimize the amount you move the pick. Thats about all the help you'll get. Just trying to save you the time.
Quote by mcjosh
I agree with the guy who said smaller movements.
Also, I can't really tell, but your hand seems to be really tight. Keep it relaxed when you want to play fast.

Watch these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxU_fzC1Io
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0K6z3mw91Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRBrELqoQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoEl5TtZUw

Thank you very much
Got Djent?
Your tone kind of sucks, try playing with the EQ more, add more treble or bass or something, maybe turn the gain down.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Your tone kind of sucks, try playing with the EQ more, add more treble or bass or something, maybe turn the gain down.

Did you not even read what TS said?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Refer to previous reply about doing what I can with a crap practice amp until I can afford a decent head-
Haha I'm aware the tone isn't good, thank you though
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
Refer to previous reply about doing what I can with a crap practice amp until I can afford a decent head-
Haha I'm aware the tone isn't good, thank you though

Idk, I just meant play with the EQ and gain, sounds too grainy
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by blackflag49
You're tacky and I hate you.

OKAY BILLY I'LL SEE YOU AFTER CLASS

OT: You seem really tense, OP. Try relaxing a bit, even though the songs are fast and involve palm muting.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
OKAY BILLY I'LL SEE YOU AFTER CLASS

OT: You seem really tense, OP. Try relaxing a bit, even though the songs are fast and involve palm muting.

Thank you.
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
Thank you.

np, dude

it's something i struggle with too, i'm always too tense, especially if the song is heavy
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Gyroscope
Play Mowgli.

I actually learned that and never recorded it lol.
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
Just looking for some criticism regarding technique and playing-style, so I figured I'd let The Pit see a few covers I have on youtube.

Please keep in mind that the music being covered is of a heavier/technical nature, and I would prefer if you looked at the most recent videos so that technique improvements can be as relevant as possible.

Also, please don't spam my actual youtube account/videos, just looking for some constructive criticism.

Thank you for any/all comments!

www.youtube.com/user/gravyonmypotatoes

You from Atlanta? I'll just come over and view your actual playing, hahaha. I live in fayetteville.

Also, it looks like you're only a year older than me. Wanna start a metal band together?
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
I hate it because i hate almost all death metal. Seemed alright though, but why death metal :C
Quote by The Buttmonkey
You from Atlanta? I'll just come over and view your actual playing, hahaha. I live in fayetteville.

Also, it looks like you're only a year older than me. Wanna start a metal band together?

Oh sweet a local hahaha actually I'm already writing stuff with another guitarist from Marietta, but thank you for the offer
Got Djent?
Quote by vayne92
I hate it because i hate almost all death metal. Seemed alright though, but why death metal :C

I just love the guitar parts- I also listen to Antoine Dufour, Guthrie Govan, Andy McKee, SRV, and the usuals.
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
Oh sweet a local hahaha actually I'm already writing stuff with another guitarist from Marietta, but thank you for the offer

There's always room for a third...especially in Periphery. I could be the Mike to your Bulb :P

PLEEEEAASSEE??!?!! I need to be around another guitarist that's serious!!!!!

Disregard the emotions running wild in this post.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by The Buttmonkey
There's always room for a third...especially in Periphery. I could be the Mike to your Bulb :P

PLEEEEAASSEE??!?!! I need to be around another guitarist that's serious!!!!!

Disregard the emotions running wild in this post.

That was fantastic
Friend me on here and if we decide to bring a third guitarist into it I'll contact you over UG
Got Djent?
Quote by PeachesMcKenzie
That was fantastic
Friend me on here and if we decide to bring a third guitarist into it I'll contact you over UG

I'm so far ahead of you, it isn't even funny.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Page 1 of 2