Poll: Where do you prefer your gain to come from when playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Where do you prefer your gain to come from when playing?
Pickups
2 2%
Amp
77 76%
Pedal(s)/Pedalboard
22 22%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
When you're playing, whether it be live or on your own, where do you prefer your gain to come from?

Some people like most of their gain to come from their pickups, boosting whatever amp they play through. Some like the gain to come all from the amp. And of course there's the guy that has 3 different distortion pedals and and EQ pedal to make up his sound lol.

Which type of player are you?

I really prefer my gain to come from the amp but that's just me.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by darkwolf291
Gain doesn't come from the pickups.
In the case with the pickups boosting the amp, the distortion's still coming from the amp clipping.

+1
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by darkwolf291
Gain doesn't come from the pickups.
In the case with the pickups boosting the amp, the distortion's still coming from the amp clipping.

I was under the impression that some very high output pickups ala the Dimarzio X2N were pretty much designed to drive one's amp? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that people do that?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I was under the impression that some very high output pickups ala the Dimarzio X2N were pretty much designed to drive one's amp? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that people do that?

Yeah. They do drive the amp, but they don't clip anything, so they create no distortion. They just boost the signal, which hits the amp harder, which makes the tubes clip more, adding more gain.
The distortion still comes from the amp, the pickups just boost the signal to hit it harder.
Quote by darkwolf291
Yeah. They do drive the amp, but they don't clip anything, so they create no distortion. They just boost the signal, which hits the amp harder, which makes the tubes clip more, adding more gain.
The distortion still comes from the amp, the pickups just boost the signal to hit it harder.

I think I see what you're saying. The gain isn't produced via the pickup itself but the pickup is the impetus for the increase in gain from the amp?...I think? lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
gain comes from the gain knob.

it says so in min's sig.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Like my pickups.....use it with the clean channel on any amp and it sounds like theres OD on it. It is all from the amp though. By decreasing the output on the guitar, you wont get *as much* of a drive.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
it clips the input stage more. maybe. right into that gain knob. and the gain knob is like oh man that's a hot signal. good thing i'm an attenuator.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
gain = amplification factor.

it comes from everything that the signal goes through. even your cable provide gain.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest

it comes from everything that the signal goes through. even your cable provide gain.

+1
Gain != distortion

If Marshall had labelled the preamp gain "preamp" instead of "gain" everybody would be running around calling distortion "preamp".
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ECistheBest

You were going good until the cable part. Unless you have some type of active cables or something, they will only sap gain because it is impossible for them to be perfectly efficient.
gain isn't always "more"... the output can be 0.7 times (smaller than) the input. that is still the "gain" of the element that the signal goes through.

a passive volume pot provides gain. set at half way, it probably gives about 0.1~0.3 gain. did you know a simple tube triode stage in your amplifier gives NEGATIVE gain???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Say Ocean
You were going good until the cable part. Unless you have some type of active cables or something, they will only sap gain because it is impossible for them to be perfectly efficient.

In physics, one doesn't use different terms for positive and negative, slowing down is acceleration, it just has a negative value. An attenuator (like a cable) is providing gain, it just has a value less than 1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ECistheBest
gain isn't always "more"... the output can be 0.7 times (smaller than) the input. that is still the "gain" of the element that the signal goes through.

a passive volume pot provides gain. set at half way, it probably gives about 0.1~0.3 gain. did you know a simple tube triode stage in your amplifier gives NEGATIVE gain???

did you know that it's inverting and that impedance is imaginary.

but it's ok cuz all numbers imaginary.

.7 times smaller is a lot if you're shoving it into a differential amplifier or an error amplifier or a vco. wheeee.
Actually Min, if something has a phase shift it is represented mathematically by multiplying it by i (which engineers call j so it doesn't get confused with current). i is the square root of -1 and is called an imaginary number because it can't actually exist. In higher order mathematics i actually has the same effect on the equation as a 90 degree phase shift. So yes, in actual factual, the numbers used to describe a phase change are indeed imaginary.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i like my gain to come from the gods
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Cathbard
Actually Min, if something has a phase shift it is represented mathematically by multiplying it by i (which engineers call j so it doesn't get confused with current). i is the square root of -1 and is called an imaginary number because it can't actually exist. In higher order mathematics i actually has the same effect on the equation as a 90 degree phase shift. So yes, in actual factual, the numbers used to describe a phase change are indeed imaginary.

all numbers are imaginary.

how about that.
I hear Bugera have harnessed the energy of fire to power their amps. So all the gain is coming from the flames.
Br00tal.

Quote by AcousticMirror
all numbers are imaginary.

how about that.

Only in so much that mathematics is an abstract concept. However even within that abstract framework the way you work with phase shifts is really imaginary, it uses a term that descibes something that is physically impossible. It describes something that can't exist but is useful within the expression.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheBodomBullet
When you're playing, whether it be live or on your own, where do you prefer your gain to come from?

Some people like most of their gain to come from their pickups, boosting whatever amp they play through. Some like the gain to come all from the amp. And of course there's the guy that has 3 different distortion pedals and and EQ pedal to make up his sound lol.

Which type of player are you?

I really prefer my gain to come from the amp but that's just me.

My dirt pedals:
1 fuzz (Which rotates in and out with several other fuzz pedals).
2 distortions.
3 Overdrives.
And 2 EQ pedals, one of which I just use for a boost.
Works for me.

But I bet the cleans on my amp are better than yours.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Edit:
I get ALL my dirt from pedals. Usually.
I can get a little grit from the amp if I really crank it.
But my last tube purchase from eurotubes were for the Max Headroom option.
I really love my cleans. But I need dirt now and then.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 28, 2011,

safe to say I get most of my dirt from pedals
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
It depends on the situation. With tube amps 9 times out of 10 i want to run the amp at the point of breakup so that i can get clean tones by picking softly and overdrive by bashing the living shit out of my strings, and i use an overdrive pedal or a compressor to boost for solos, and a fuzz box for... fuzz tones (duh) because you can't get fuzz tones out of a tube amp on its own.

with solid state amps it really depends on how usable the drive is. my current favourite solid state amp is a HH IC100 which has a usable overdrive setting but unfortunately there's no control over the gain or anything, fortunately the amp actually sounds better running pedals into a clean setting as well as giving a lot more control over the ovderdrive sound. so with solid states i'm likely to use pedals, if i can't dial in an overdrive sound that works either because of crap overdrive or no settings to actually dial in
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stykerwolf
everyone knows tone/gain comes from the fingers

yep, that's why they call those gibson pickups "dirty fingers", because they are distortion pickups but you need to play distorted with your fingers to get the good distortion sound out of your pickups
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I use a modelling pedal......does that count as "amp" distortion?

No
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
christ man...20 pedals? simplify. i mean, you got 4 big muffs?
Originally Posted by lbj273
*Pedalboard*
lbj273 aka "Muff Man"

Personally, I use my amp for Dirt but I boost it with an SD-1. But every pedalboard needs a muff

EDIT: but not 5 muffs. That's overkill
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 28, 2011,
What I don't get is the organisation of that board
And yes there are 5
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M