Hey guys, about a month ago I picked up a new project, a Jackson JS30RR, the shittiest of the Rhoads family. I figured I would pick it up for $100 used at GC, put a couple of dollars in parts/hardware into it, and have something fun to play. And thats exactly what happened.

Heres the guitar completely stock next to one of my other projects. It has passive Jackson pickups (that actually weren't too bad through my Peavey XXX)

The first thing I did was replace the stock pickups with an EMG 81/85 combo I got from a friend. I may change the neck pup to a 60 later but the deal was too good to pass up. After gutting and rewiring the whole thing with the right parts It looked like this.

Then I figured I would make it look somewhat like the USA custom shop model they had out a few years ago, which involved gold pinstriping along the bevels, gold hardware and new inlays. Here it is after I got some vinyl graphics put on the guitar to simulate pinstripes, it looks amazing even in person and unless you are really looking, you would swear its painted on.

Here's the body with the gold hardware (minus the ferrules, which just came today)

and the new gold locking tuners

Next I got some vinyl inlay stickers to go over the plain boring dots. They look like MOP Les Paul Custom inlays, and they really look good on the guitar.

Heres some detail of the "inlay"

Finally I got the gold ferrules in today, and I strung it all up,minus the High E which snapped at the ferrule. Im hoping I dont have a rough edge or something, but Ill know when I can get to the store. After a little setup it plays and sounds awesome, a little bit of buzz on the lower frets but its inaudible through the amp.

Shes all done with the exception of a high E string, and I want to get a gold input jack, straplocks and rear ferrules. Let me know what you think! For a guitar under $250, she plays like a dream!
Quote by darkwolf291
Looks awesome man.
Personally, I would have thrown a PAF and Super Distortion instead of EMGs, and I would have gotten shark fin inlays, but it's your build.
Still looks killer.
Can we get some clips?

I wanted sharkfins at first but the sharkfin vinyl's wouldnt have covered the dots at all and that would have made it look like shit. Plus this gives it more of a Randy vibe as the first prototypes of the Rhoads had block inlays. I think they are growing on me to the point where I like them more than sharkfins now haha.

As far as the pickups, These were cheap, I picked up the pickups and the guitar it came in (a Schecter Omen 6) for only $50. Cant beat that, plus all my other guitars have EMG's already. I do like the Super Dist sound though.

Clips may be kind of hard to do at the moment, all I have are my little practice amps and no recording software that sounds halfway decent at my house but if I get downtime in my bands studio Ill see what I can do.
Last edited by thetoastinator at Jun 28, 2011,
Thanks man! By the way, I now have a quick question, if I were to just take metallic gold spraypaint and paint the input jack plate and selector washer, do you think it would stay on there for a while? I cant seem to find any of them for cheap, and I figured spray painting may work on such miniscule things, rather than paying $15 for a jack plate, or paying $15 and rewiring the pickup selector to get a gold one.
Quote by thetoastinator
Thanks man! By the way, I now have a quick question, if I were to just take metallic gold spraypaint and paint the input jack plate and selector washer, do you think it would stay on there for a while? I cant seem to find any of them for cheap, and I figured spray painting may work on such miniscule things, rather than paying $15 for a jack plate, or paying $15 and rewiring the pickup selector to get a gold one.

it will work
just lay it on heavy
Nice. I was thinking the gold would look like shit, however you turned a 100 turd into a nice looking geetar.

How much do you have into it total? It seems the tuning keys would cost the most?

Good job.
I just did the math, all in all I have 270 tied up in this guitar. That includes everything. Luckily my singer had an old guitar his uncle gave to him that just sits in a display case. He thought it would look cool with gold tuners on it instead of the stock chrome so 11 years ago he replaced them. I was telling him about the tuners and how they would cost the most and he just pulled the guitar out of the case and told me I could have the gold ones if I have him the Jackson ones so he could at least restring the guitar. So I got pretty lucky with that. They are damn good tuners too apparently. I pulled that guitar out of the case, it was still almost completely in tune from when he tuned it 11 years ago.
THAT, sir, just may be the coolest thing I have ever seen.
*insert witty statement here*
A big improvement. Something about gold and black just fits right... Looks great.
That's some sexy shit right there. Wanted to do that to my JS32RR but it got stolen
BTW, as a dude who works in a paint shop I'd recommend hitting any chrome stuff with some kind of Etch Primer before spraying it with gold, it'll make it stick better and last much longer.
Damn, wish I woulda seen that advice before I went ahead and did it. I sprayed the pickup selector nut, the screws holding in the pickup rings, and the input jack and screws gold, they turned out looking pretty good, definitely can't tell till you are right on it that it isnt actually gold plated. Hope they last, but if not, I can always touch em up, I have a lot of gold spray paint left.
kickass.

My only beef with the jsrr is that my friend had one for under a year and the neck warped completely. he had the bridge as low as it would go and the strings were stil about half an inch away from the neck
GJ, congrats!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Chaosinborn
kickass.

My only beef with the jsrr is that my friend had one for under a year and the neck warped completely. he had the bridge as low as it would go and the strings were stil about half an inch away from the neck

Shit, hope that doesnt happen. I pulled truss rod cover off when redoing this, and it looks like you cant even use an allen wrench to adjust it, it looks like you almost need a pair of pliers or a socket wrench or something... havent seen a rod like that before. If it does warp, Ill probably get a Warmoth or Mighty Mite neck or something for it, but as of right now, it actually plays pretty good. A little buzz but you can't pick it up through the amp.