Hello,

I have a 30 year old Peavey T-30 that has been my only guitar for the past 15 years. Grant it, I'm no pro at guitar. However, this guitar seems to get better with age. The neck is perfect, the action is spot on, and the intonation is perfect. I currently have EB Heavy Low's, Thin High's strings installed.

Within the last 10 years, I had a local peavey dealer replace the ground wire with an insulated wire to help reduce noise. It did so to an extent. Over the years, the buzzing has become worse and the noise level grows and grows and grows until it overpowers what I play, unless I place my hand on one of the control knobs on the guitar, then the buzz is gone for a bit.

So, I am looking for some insight as to what I need to do to stop this electrical buzzing. I bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 yesterday and I have to avoid most over drive settings because of the persistant electrical buzz. I'd like to keep this guitar in good, playable condition as it was a birthday gift from my grandfather 15 years ago. What's ironic is that the guitar is nearly the same age as me!

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Peavey T-30 Standard Electric
Thanks for the replies.

The thought had crossed my mind to replace the pups. I have looked at what GC has to offer for humbucking strats, and these are the few I need to decide upon:

1.) Chrome Domes

2.) Fury

3.) Axe Everything

I'm liking the looks of the chrome domes. Are Pups hard to install? Thanks!

EDIT: I found some single-coil, passive EMG's. Although, I have no clue what to use for neck - middle - bridge pick-ups though. GC has the EMG S1, S2, S3, and S4 HERE. Is it natural to use 3 singles of the same model? Thanks!
Last edited by iwannarockism at Jun 28, 2011,
I have never used Lace p/u's, but when you change your p/u you may want to redo your tone and vol pots. I actualy like the Duncan JBjr for strat in the bridge position.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What do you mean by redoing the pots? Replacing them or rewiring them?

I wish I could easily install one of the prewired kits. But those are meant for guitars that have the output jack on the bottom. My output jack sits where a 3rd knob resides on thos kits.
Replacing the Vol and Tone control.you could buy a pre wired pick guard, if it is a strat style guard. then you just remove the 3rd pot and put your input jack in that hole. If that helps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Definitely gives me something to thing about. I really like the idea of getting a pre-wired kit. I may end up have to drill new holes though. That's ok as long as the guard covers the existing holes.

As far as bypassing the 3rd pot, I imagine that wouldn't be difficult to do? Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually, what I'll do is pull everything off the new pick guard and install it on the old one. The new pick guards don't match to the T-30 body.
It sounds like something has lost its grounding. Replacing the pots (and optionally capacitors) on an old guitar is a good idea, and resoldering all those bits will ensure they are all grounded. Don't replace the pickups unless you want a different sound. Carefully look at where the wires join the pickups, some designs are a bit fragile in this area. The designer assumed the guitar will not be shaken or vibrated like a Ford truck on a farm road, but after 30 years things can just fall apart.
Some buildings have more electrical noise and extenuate grounding problems. I've done fixes that seem fine at home but when the guitar gets to my son's apartment, eww! Also, for only a couple dollars, you can line the inside of the cavities with metal tape to provide more shielding.