I've just recently got an electric and I want to learn how to Trem and Sweep pick. Can you guys tell me how?
I really only need for someone to explain the motions to me.
If you've recently got an electric, you may want to master the basic techniques before attempting sweep picking. Tremolo picking is pretty self explanatory, it's just up and down really fast, refine your angle and attack and use your wrist and not your arm.
You've been registered here for 3 years, and it's not until now you get an electric...?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I know and some people just play acoustic

What you'll want to do for sweep picking is find a simple pattern to start off with (theres more than plenty examples on youtube) then practice the basic motion for it. Most patterns are pretty similar in shape, the easiest ones are generally based around major and minor arppegios. The basic movement is pretty simple its just to do with timing.

The best technique with your picking hand is to move the pick in a 'sweeping' motion. This is basically strumming but you gently mute strings when you move on to the next one to prevent excess sound. With your fretting hand you fret each note as you pick the string then pull your finger off when you move on to the next string (this is what creates the excess noise, open strings ringing out sounds bad in a sweep). Depending on the pattern it will be easier to roll your finger off of the string instead of lifting it up.

Other than that I advise you do your spider exercises to a metronome and build up speed in your fretting hand. As well as this make sure you always do a bit of gentle playing and loosen up but for you do the sweeps.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
E----------5---8---5--------|
B-------6--------------6-----|
G---5---------------------5--|
D-----------------------------|
A-----------------------------|
E-----------------------------|

Here is a basic C major arpeggio. Change the 5th fret on the first string to a 4th fret and you will be left with a C minor arpeggio. Here is a harder one:

E----------------------12---15---12-------------------|
B------------------13------------------13--------------|
G-------------12---------------------------12----------|
D---------14-----------------------------------14------|
A-----15-------------------------------------------15---|
E---------------------------------------------------------|

Just slowly try and connect the notes while moving your fingers off of the last note and play it like a slow strum, one string for each note. Hope this helps.
Quote by Naruto00121

Here is a basic C major arpeggio. Change the 5th fret on the first string to a 4th fret and you will be left with a C minor arpeggio. Here is a harder one:

Just slowly try and connect the notes while moving your fingers off of the last note and play it like a slow strum, one string for each note. Hope this helps.

Bro, for the first arpeggio can I just hammer-on the 8 and pull-off to the 5? I learned some arpeggios that are like that and I'm very used to doing that.
I had an acoustic/electric with an extremely high acton, so I couldn't really try sweeping or trem picking. I got a solid body, a strat actually, in like feburary but I had to do alot of work to it to get it playing.
Thatnks for the help though guys.
Quote by Chimara
Bro, for the first arpeggio can I just hammer-on the 8 and pull-off to the 5? I learned some arpeggios that are like that and I'm very used to doing that.

Thats what I do in my sweeps, if theres any shortcuts like that you can take it makes the sweep sound much more fluid.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by Naruto00121

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but how is that first arpeggio a CMaj? The notes you tabbed out starting on the G string and descending are C, F, A, C, A, F, C. Even if you move the F down a fret to get one of those shapes that Yngwie seems to love so much, you're still missing the fifth to form a major triad.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Quote by arunawayslave
Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but how is that first arpeggio a CMaj? The notes you tabbed out starting on the G string and descending are C, F, A, C, A, F, C. Even if you move the F down a fret to get one of those shapes that Yngwie seems to love so much, you're still missing the fifth to form a major triad.

maybe he typo'd. its FMaj and C and F are like right there next to each other on the keyboard...
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jun 29, 2011,
ah, that's probably it.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w