I've been wondering about something recently. What would happen if you were running your tube amp at full volume, and had a few boost pedals in front of it? I know boost pedals are meant to make the valves work harder, so would it be possible to have too much boost and blow the tubes or anything?
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
No. The maximum output of a boost pedal will never be enough to blow the valve. There is an absolute level that any pedal can produce regardless of what is feeding it. That level is way lower than it would take to hurt the valve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I saw Your Picture and i thought it was a frog but now i see its an Owl!
"The Demon Code prevents me from Declining a rock-off Challenge"

-Satan.
Nope, you probably won't blow it, but it gives you a really sludgy/farty epic tone that ****ing slays for stoner and doom, i did it to my friend's Laney VC30 (which is basically an AC30 copy) with a TS9, a Boss DS1 and some danelectro pedals with level cranked and drive set rather low. Sounded epic!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
yep i did that with smaller tube amps once. it makes really bad sounds. didnt hurt anything, but it pushed the amp to the point of extreme clipping where distortion isnt even distortion anymore. basically the amp is being choked out by the 10 foot noose that is your gain coming in.

sounds like somethings wrong. weird sludge/farting noises is right.
Quote by Cathbard
No. The maximum output of a boost pedal will never be enough to blow the valve. There is an absolute level that any pedal can produce regardless of what is feeding it. That level is way lower than it would take to hurt the valve.

this.

i would imagine there'd get to a point where the pedals start to clip more rather than getting more volume. you can't just keep on stacking up cranked clean boosts to get a massively loud clean signal.

the VC30 is not an AC30 copy, btw. They are almost like very different versions of the same kind of thing, really, if that makes sense... like, onions and spring onions, perhaps?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
this.

i would imagine there'd get to a point where the pedals start to clip more rather than getting more volume. you can't just keep on stacking up cranked clean boosts to get a massively loud clean signal.

the VC30 is not an AC30 copy, btw. They are almost like very different versions of the same kind of thing, really, if that makes sense... like, onions and spring onions, perhaps?

Like Chevrolet and Buick... similar, yet different

EDIT: of course I mean the Grand National and Monte Carlo
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Jun 28, 2011,