No i am not asking for you guys to get me a tone.

Im asking you to teach me, or give me tips, on how to fish out a tone, so i dont need you to give them to me. (Think of the teach a dude to fish proverb or something).

Basicly, being new to bass, i have no idea how to get a bass tone, without hit and miss on the dails lmao. My bass amp has a 3 band eq, and i was wondering how each would effect the sound. I do get that the Low/bass knob adds/cuts lower frequencies, mids do the same for mids and so forth, but thats it.

I dont know how to get a really clanky tone like Behemoth when they played summerbreeze in 08 (it sounds epic) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_i-ah-64g
Nor do i know how to get any other tone.

I did read the FAQ, but i didnt reallyunderstand it, and it didnt really answer my question of what they do. And yes i used search, although im not sure if i did it correctly...

So, can anyone give me advice on how adding, and taking away certain frequencies will get me certain sounds, like a general guide. ie, to make your sound a little more X, slap some Y it's way.

Thanks in advance to all of you, many of you in the bass forum have been very good to my lack of knowledge :P
That sounds like a typical mid-scooped metal sound. Lots of highs, lots of bass (I'm guessing, since I can't really hear the bass at all and it sounds terrible), not many mids.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
That sounds like a typical mid-scooped metal sound. Lots of highs, lots of bass (I'm guessing, since I can't really hear the bass at all and it sounds terrible), not many mids.

Thank you!

Im still wondering though, how do you figure stuff out like that (i know by ear, but you get what i mean).

How do you know that "oh that has lots of this and less of that".
Im not good at explaining things : /
You probably just want to play around with your settings a LOT to figure out how what affects what. It took me a while but now, with my rig I'm able to get nearly whatever sound I want just by messing around with the EQ settings on my amp and bass. Like if I want more punch I turn up the treble, play here for metal/rock then turn this down, blah blah blah.

Through this fiddling around you should get a feel for how artists get certain sounds, and be able to mimic those sounds as close as you can with what you have.
[Insert something clever here]
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
Thank you!

Im still wondering though, how do you figure stuff out like that (i know by ear, but you get what i mean).

It's one of those things that comes with time. It's not something you can explain very well, you just learn to identify a certain tone and the characteristics with it. Remember that it's not just the EQ that affects the tone, but the bass, amp, technique, age of the strings, the type of strings, the room you're in, etc.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
Thank you!

He's just a regular musician. For your bass, have the mids to about 2 or 3, the lows (Bass) to 7-8 and highs (Treble) at 8-9. This should make your bass sound like behemoths (Unless you have a shitty 5 watt amp)
Thanks for all your imput, Ill have to fiddle with it more :P Ill try your suggestions in the morning, cant play after 10...
Quote by Naruto00121
He's just a regular musician. For your bass, have the mids to about 2 or 3, the lows (Bass) to 7-8 and highs (Treble) at 8-9. This should make your bass sound like behemoths (Unless you have a shitty 5 watt amp)

I would disagree with this .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I would disagree with this .

I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Thanks, i now have a sig haha