Page 1 of 3
So pit, Think you can completely stump anyone or everyone with your dazzling Puzzle or intricate riddle?
Well, here would be the place to make such an attempt. Use your brain, and don't ruin the fun for others by using Google to make yourself look smarter Hollow victory.

Shall I start?

How does 3+8+9+10+13+30+39+80+89+90+98 = Interchangeability?
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
All the numbers can be spelled using the letters of INTERCHANGABILITY only once.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
1.What is the SMALLEST number which, when written, contains all five vowels?
2. What is the LARGEST number which, when written, does NOT contain the letter "N"?
3 How many numbers, when written, contain only one distinct vowel (i.e. the same vowel can be repeated)?
4. How many numbers, when written, contain no repeated letters?
5. What is the only number which, when written, has its letters in alphabetical order?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

two hundred and eight - Smallest number I can figure with all 5 vowels...
and Eight-eight seems like the highest without the letter N.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
5. I'm going to guess 40 (forty), simply because I remember hearing it somewhere, and can't think of any other.

I don't have a clue, as to the others.
Quote by Mr.Pink101

Your second one is right, the first one isn't....

Studmuffin - that's correct.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Mr.Pink101

one hundred and eight
one hundred and five
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
one hundred and five

Ahh, of course, there's an 'O' In "one" :P
Wow, didn't give it enough thought
Formula for number of moves in tower of hanoi? Ie if there were "n" rings, what is the formula in terms of "n" for the number of moves needed? Worked this out myself *feels pleased with himself*
What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich don't need it, And if you eat it, you'll die?

more like a riddle but idk i like it
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
What are Homophones (words pronounced and spoken identically but spelled differently to one another) which are antonyms of one another?

If you can think of 3, you win a cookie, however, this isn't a puzzle, more a recreational linguistic exercise.
(I spell with UK conventions.)
Quote by Dash49
What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich don't need it, And if you eat it, you'll die?

more like a riddle but idk i like it

Easy peasy! The answer's "nothing", right?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
2. What is the LARGEST number which, when written, does NOT contain the letter "N"?

What about a Googolplex?
Quote by fonkeymonkey
What about a Googolplex?

Googolplex is the name for the number, not the number itself.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Well eighty-eight is surely the name for a number. I could write out a googolplex, but I would be here a long time (not using powers).
Quote by metacarpi
Easy peasy! The answer's "nothing", right?

*nods* Yah got it

Let's see if I can find a difficult one for you

A group of 100 soldiers suffered the following injuries in a battle: 70 soldiers lost an eye, 75 lost an ear, 85 lost a leg, and 80 lost an arm.
What is the minimum number of soldiers who must have lost all 4?

Don't click this.
Quote by fonkeymonkey
Well eighty-eight is surely the name for a number. I could write out a googolplex, but I would be here a long time (not using powers).

Eighty eight is the number.

Googolplex is like Pi.

Pi is the name for the number, the number itself is three point one four one...... etc.

And if you write out a googolplex like that, it starts with either a one, ten, hundred, thousand, ten thousand, hundred thousand, million etc.... which all include the letter n.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Dash49
*nods* Yah got it

A group of 100 soldiers suffered the following injuries in a battle: 70 soldiers lost an eye, 75 lost an ear, 85 lost a leg, and 80 lost an arm.

Oh, good one!

Let's see....

100 - 70 = 30 soldiers didn't lose eyes. So, 75 - (100 -70) = 45 soldiers at minimum lost both eyes and ears. So, 45 - (100 - 85) = 30 soldiers at minimum lost eyes, ears, and a leg. Then, 30 - (100 - 80) = 10 soldiers at minimum lost all four.

I think that's right anyway. Time for all the proper mathematicians to come and poke it full of holes!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Dash49
*nods* Yah got it

Seventy?
hue
Quote by metacarpi
Eighty eight is the number.

Googolplex is like Pi.

Pi is the name for the number, the number itself is three point one four one...... etc.

And if you write out a googolplex like that, it starts with either a one, ten, hundred, thousand, ten thousand, hundred thousand, million etc.... which all include the letter n.

Metalanguage. The words to describe words, in this case, applied to numerals. Metanumerology?
Quote by sock_demon
Seventy?

Surely that's how many could have lost all four, not how many must have lost all four?

Quote by Mr.Pink101
Metalanguage. The words to describe words, in this case, applied to numerals. Metanumerology?

Metalanguage (or Metanumerology), being discussed by Metacarpi.

Too many Meta's!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Oh, good one!

Let's see....

100 - 70 = 30 soldiers didn't lose eyes. So, 75 - (100 -70) = 45 soldiers at minimum lost both eyes and ears. So, 45 - (100 - 85) = 30 soldiers at minimum lost eyes, ears, and a leg. Then, 30 - (100 - 80) = 10 soldiers at minimum lost all four.

I think that's right anyway. Time for all the proper mathematicians to come and poke it full of holes!

Damn, you are good at these! Good job

Another one... uhm lemme think. There are 10 sets of 10 coins. You know all the coins in one set of ten are exactly a hundredth of an ounce, making the entire set of ten coins a tenth of an ounce. You also know that all the other coins weight the correct amount. You are allowed to use an extremely accurate digital weighing machine only once. So, how do you find the faulty set of coins?

Don't click this.
Why is 'stifle' the most vain word in the English language?

Also, for the mathematicians :P This one is stolen from the internet, but I doubt google will find it anyway without effort.

What is the value of 'n' when n^2 and n^3 together contain all numbers?(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
Last edited by Mr.Pink101 at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by Dash49
Damn, you are good at these! Good job

Another one... uhm lemme think. There are 10 sets of 10 coins. You know all the coins in one set of ten are exactly a hundredth of an ounce, making the entire set of ten coins a tenth of an ounce. You also know that all the other coins weight the correct amount. You are allowed to use an extremely accurate digital weighing machine only once. So, how do you find the faulty set of coins?

Me and my mates always used to do this kind of thing!

Can we use any other method of weighing them? Such as balance scales?

Quote by Mr.Pink101

That's a good one.........
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Me and my mates always used to do this kind of thing!

Can we use any other method of weighing them? Such as balance scales?

That's a good one.........

Nope just that scale, only once.

Quote by Mr.Pink101

Also, for the mathematicians :P This one is stolen from the internet, but I doubt google will find it anyway without effort.

What is the value of 'n' when n^2 and n^3 together contain all numbers?(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)

Oh and uhm... because stifle is an anagram of itself ! Hahaha I remember reading a lot of anagram words back in the day

Don't click this.
Last edited by Dash49 at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by Dash49
Nope just that scale, only once.

Right then, can I continuously add coins to the scale?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Surely that's how many could have lost all four, not how many must have lost all four?

Metalanguage (or Metanumerology), being discussed by Metacarpi.

Too many Meta's!

bleh 'twas a shot in the dark.
hue
Quote by metacarpi
Right then, can I continuously add coins to the scale?

As long as you use it once. Haha well, I think someone's got the answer already xD

Don't click this.
Quote by Dash49
As long as you use it once. Haha well, I think someone's got the answer already xD

Right then, let's see....

If I put one of the coins from the perfect set on the scales, I can then add "n" coins from each of the other sets? Where "n" is the group from which the coin was taken, with the first group after the perfect set being 1.

Then, if the weight is off by "n" hundredths of an ounce, then the nth group is out?

Is that right?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Romeo and Juliet are found naked in a puddle of water, shattered glass and their own excrement. The bodies are discovered this way in the living area of a suburban home.
How did they die?
Quote by metacarpi
Right then, let's see....

If I put one of the coins from the perfect set on the scales, I can then add "n" coins from each of the other sets? Where "n" is the group from which the coin was taken, with the first group after the perfect set being 1.

Then, if the weight is off by "n" hundredths of an ounce, then the nth group is out?

Is that right?

Come on meta, you are just too good with these. >.< Of course you're right.

Don't click this.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
Romeo and Juliet are found naked in a puddle of water, shattered glass and their own excrement. The bodies are discovered this way in the living area of a suburban home.
How did they die?

They were engaging in fecal play, when a Blastoise came in through the window and killed them?

Time to think....

Quote by Dash49
Come on meta, you are just too good with these. >.< Of course you're right.

The math-y sort of these I'm quite good with, one's like the above...... not so much!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Last edited by metacarpi at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by Mr.Pink101
How did they die?

I can think of so many ways.

Don't click this.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
How did they die?

uhhh both engaged in a scuffle, scuffle landed on a glass coffee table, table shattered, killer stabbed both of them with an icicle, which melted into a puddle. Death results in the relaxation of the sphincter, leading to poopy everywhere?

Idk.... i'm just taking wild guesses at these.
hue
Quote by sock_demon
uhhh both engaged in a scuffle, scuffle landed on a glass coffee table, table shattered, killer stabbed both of them with an icicle, which melted into a puddle. Death results in the relaxation of the sphincter, leading to poopy everywhere?
Idk.... i'm just taking wild guesses at these.

Glorious!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

There is no table, nor furniture in any part of the room. There were no signs of violence or foul play, nor suicide. There is no faucet near by, or body of water. The water is not urine.
Page 1 of 3