So I am pretty new to the world of recording and could definitely use some advice on what kind of mic to buy. I would mainly use it for vocals, but occasional would want to be able to use it for small drums or snares or even just for random sounds I create. I would like to spend as little money as possible....
Quit being poor and buy a Sure SM58. Industry standard. (And if you actually want to do music you will soon realize that $100 is cheap.)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Quit being poor and buy a Sure SM58. Industry standard. (And if you actually want to do music you will soon realize that $100 is cheap.)

This, pretty much.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I think a good bang for the buck when it comes to mics is the MXL V63M, I've been using it for a while and I love it, and its only $100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-v63m-condenser-studio-microphone
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
In this case, I would recommend either an SM57 or a Sennheiser e835.

As mics go, both are in the same price ballpark, and both are relatively inexpensive, but you will need to count on spending about $100 for a used one.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by d.c.guitar
I think a good bang for the buck when it comes to mics is the MXL V63M, I've been using it for a while and I love it, and its only $100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-v63m-condenser-studio-microphone

I'd be wary of using any condensor on a snare.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I wouldn't buy a SM57/58 if you planned on doing Primarily Vocals. You're gonna want a condenser mic like what d.c. suggested (though I'd prob go with an AT2020 since their much better).

You aren't going to find a good mic for less than $100. If you have to buy one, get an AT2020 for your vocals then get a SM57/58 down the road for random shit.

(Holy shit, I didn't blow up on everyone)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by axemanchris
In this case, I would recommend either an SM57 or a Sennheiser e835.

As mics go, both are in the same price ballpark, and both are relatively inexpensive, but you will need to count on spending about $100 for a used one.

CT

I think you can find new ones at Guitar Center for exactly $100, actually. And sometimes they're on sale. It's a great value there.
What kind of interface do you have? If it has phantom power, I'd second the AT2020 suggestion.

To Axemanchris: I've heard of pencil condensers being used on snares quite often. I actually tried it once a while back and while I dont seem to remember it being right for the song, it really wasn't much of a problem volume wise on the mic (if that's what you're getting at). I could be wrong, but it seems that most newer condensers aren't as fragile as they used to be.
Quote by ZombieCommando
Get a SM57 instead. They are way more versatile.

Agreed. But why not buy an SM58 and unscrew the little silver ball?

Boom! SM57

Want a 58? Screw the ball back on.

Magic.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Agreed. But why not buy an SM58 and unscrew the little silver ball?

Boom! SM57

Want a 58? Screw the ball back on.

Magic.

Because for RECORDING VOCALS they are NOT very versatile. Yes, the 57/58 works well on some voices (Bono being one notable one...) and screaming, a decent condenser will get you much better results on most voices and most styles. Since a style of singing was not specified, we are recommending one that will truly be more versatile.