Poll: should i build a guitar off ebay?
Poll Options
View poll results: should i build a guitar off ebay?
yes. Why not?
22 71%
NO
7 23%
other please state in the thread
2 6%
Voters: 31.
ive seen necks and bodies for like lbanez premium guitars (of the same model) and it struck me I could use this necks and sh!t to build a guitar and then i would be able to put in my own pup's ect, and get a tech to set it up just right. I figure that it would be cheaper that way. thoughs???
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Last edited by rhino1957 at Jun 28, 2011,
Well, you could work on your spelling first. And once you get all the parts (if they're not broken...) and hire the guitar tech, it'll be easier just to have bought it new. I say nay.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
There's a reason those guitars were parted out in the first place. You might end up with a fine guitar, but you also might end up with a complete dog made out of parts that got pulled from bad guitars to part out. You could also end up with a fake, or a warped neck, or all sorts of other things.

You can end up with a great deal, too, but I just do not trust ebay with this sort of thing.
I built a very nice guitar with parts from eBay but I already had some pickups, a Floyd, tuners, locking nut etc. and I knew what I was buying how to assemble it and set it up myself. If you have to buy all that stuff and pay someone else to build it for you it would be cheaper to just buy a nice used guitar. Really.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I think he (TS) meant that he could put it all together and then just get the tech to do a set-up so it plays well rather than buy the parts and get the tech to put it all together for him.

Sounds like a good idea. Clapton did more or less the same thing to make Blackie, his favourite strat for around 30 years. He bought 6 Stratocasters, gave three away to various friends and made his own out of the remaining three.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
I think he (TS) meant that he could put it all together and then just get the tech to do a set-up so it plays well rather than buy the parts and get the tech to put it all together for him.

Sounds like a good idea. Clapton did more or less the same thing to make Blackie, his favourite strat for around 30 years. He bought 6 Stratocasters, gave three away to various friends and made his own out of the remaining three.

that about sums it up
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
And if you could buy 6 late-50s strats to pick and choose the best parts out of, we wouldn't be having this conversation. There's some real crap on ebay, so just know that you might end up with a bad neck or dead body. You'll only know after you finish the guitar, and it might permanently sound like crap. That's the risk you take making your own from unknown parts.
Quote by Roc8995
And if you could buy 6 late-50s strats to pick and choose the best parts out of, we wouldn't be having this conversation. There's some real crap on ebay, so just know that you might end up with a bad neck or dead body. You'll only know after you finish the guitar, and it might permanently sound like crap. That's the risk you take making your own from unknown parts.

pardon my ignorence but what is a dead body?
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Why not? As long as you do your research so the parts fit to each other.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Why not? As long as you do your research so the parts fit to each other.
Because it takes more parts to make a guitar than you might think. And don't kid yourself. Good parts are expensive, you aren't going to save money buying parts.

It's possible to make a great guitar from eBay parts and it's a lot of fun but when the OP said he has to have someone set it up for him this started sounding like a bad idea. People who build guitars don't need to have someone else set them up.
Quote by BobDetroit
Because it takes more parts to make a guitar than you might think. And don't kid yourself. Good parts are expensive, you aren't going to save money buying parts.

It's possible to make a great guitar from eBay parts and it's a lot of fun but when the OP said he has to have someone set it up for him this started sounding like a bad idea. People who build guitars don't need to have someone else set them up.

i was talking about getting the frets redone
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957
pardon my ignorence but what is a dead body?

Its a theoretical thing that people use for an excuse when they don't know what else to say. On an electric, the body accounts for about 0.5% of the sound, mostly affecting the resonance. A very spongy wood can soak up the string's vibrations and reduce the length of tine that a single pluck will continue to make a sound. Resonance can be increased significantly by installing a heavy bridge or a metal nut. Pickup dynamics account for most of the tone, somewhat affected by the wiring components. All of this becomes seriously modified by the amplifier.

If you're at the level where you're perfecting the last 1/1000 of your sound, the wood could make a difference. Most of us would benefit more from practicing our scales.

All of the above is quite untrue of acoustic guitars, except the more practice.
I completely disagree. I've had guitars with bad/dead bodies before and there was nothing to be done about it. I replaced literally every component on the guitar, including the neck, and it still did not sound proper. Many luthiers throw away or destroy bodies that don't sound right on a finished product. This is not something that people just made up to cover for incompetence. It also isn't just about enough sustain or vibration - some pieces of wood just sound weird or off, even if they ring ok.

Saying that the body makes a certain small percent of the sound and then saying that installing a heavy bridge or metal nut will fix the problem is hypocritical. If the body vibration doesn't matter, neither should the bridge or the nut.

I've heard the 'wood doesn't matter' argument dozens of times around here, and I don't buy it. I've played and owned enough guitars to be able to hear the differences in wood and construction, and have played a few dogs, too. What exactly makes a mexi strat sound bad after a complete setup when the one next to it sounds great and was made 5 minutes later on the same assembly line?

You can say that wood doesn't make a huge impact on the final tone, and that is often the case, but don't say I'm making crap up about a dead sounding body. There's a difference between not hearing alder vs. poplar (the pointless and arbitrary '0.5%' claim) and a body that just won't ring properly.
a dead neck is more likely.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd be most worried about a warped neck on ebay. You wouldn't know until it was too late if you got one. Bodies don't get screwed up royally that often, but necks go bad all the time. If you're getting an ebay neck, get it from someone who sells a lot of guitar parts. The guy with 4 sales in the last 6 months probably has a warped one that he's replacing and wants to get some money back.
Quote by Roc8995
I'd be most worried about a warped neck on ebay. You wouldn't know until it was too late if you got one. Bodies don't get screwed up royally that often, but necks go bad all the time. If you're getting an ebay neck, get it from someone who sells a lot of guitar parts. The guy with 4 sales in the last 6 months probably has a warped one that he's replacing and wants to get some money back.

thats what im worried about. id like to find a place where i can get a new neck for it.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It would have to be an aftermarket, you're not going to get an Ibanez neck new. Buying one on ebay isn't a bad idea, just be careful who you're getting it from. Make sure you can return it if it's warped, and have your tech check it right away. It's going to take a little bit for the neck to settle, so get it on the body and strung up ASAP and have it checked out.
Quote by Roc8995
It would have to be an aftermarket, you're not going to get an Ibanez neck new. Buying one on ebay isn't a bad idea, just be careful who you're getting it from. Make sure you can return it if it's warped, and have your tech check it right away. It's going to take a little bit for the neck to settle, so get it on the body and strung up ASAP and have it checked out.

do you know where i could get a good one? warmouth?
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Warmoth makes good stuff but I don't know whether they've got the right neck pocket dimensions for an Ibanez. Hopefully someone more familiar with that can chime in.
Quote by Roc8995
Warmoth makes good stuff but I don't know whether they've got the right neck pocket dimensions for an Ibanez. Hopefully someone more familiar with that can chime in.

Why wait when you can ask them directly? http://www.warmoth.com/Ordering/ContactUs.aspx

But AFAIK I don't think Warmoth has license for making Ibanez replacement necks. Maybe better luck searching for a Ibanez neck flying around eBay.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jun 28, 2011,
Thanks for taking the bait Roc. You are much more experienced than I am, and you probably can hear the difference from alder to poplar. I can't. Very few people can, which is why I say they shouldn't worry about it. The vibrations are the sum total of all parts of the guitar, and changing ANYTHING, even the extra length of the string hanging off the tuner, WILL have an effect. So does the alignment of the planets and the amount of steel in your belt buckle. That huge chunk of magnetics right behind the pickups probably makes more difference than the type of capacitor on your tone knob, but instead we get hung up on whatever.

I really liked your concern about getting a bad neck, and your advice to continue buying on ebay, but research the seller.
Quote by Levi79
Alot of people can hear it man. It makes a pretty huge difference. If it didn't why would they use so many different woods in guitars?

this so much
anyway im thinking about building a jem style guitar now but there's almost no way i can get a JEM neck unless it's custom. Warmoth won't do it, so does any one have any ideas?
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957
ive seen necks and bodies for like lbanez premium guitars (of the same model) and it struck me I could use this necks and sh!t to build a guitar and then i would be able to put in my own pup's ect, and get a tech to set it up just right. I figure that it would be cheaper that way. thoughs???

There are only two types of kit guitars I'd buy or recommend to anyone.

Would be one from Carvin

http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

If you can put up with the BS Ed Roman (he's pretty much a total jerk)

Ed Roman knows his shit when it comes to DIY guitar kits.

Shit parts of ebay == shit quality on the final build.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Levi79
Alot of people can hear it man. It makes a pretty huge difference. If it didn't why would they use so many different woods in guitars?

I think they use so many different woods because it doesnt make or break an electric guitar if you use a different wood. Consider the difference in something acoustic where there are only a few woods that are considered acceptable. Try finding a violin that doesnt have a spruce top.

The thing is that its easier to talk about it than to make a test where you swap out one wood for a different one on the same guitar, then record the same song on the same equipment. Conceptually, I suppose you could move the hardware from one body to another; bridge, neck, Everything. It would be hard to ensure the exact setup, but as long as the string height and pickup positioning was really close, that would be a good test. Has anyone ever done that?