Page 1 of 2
Quote by Twist of fate
THis one girl I made sex with had DDs
hows that for mountain climbing son?

Yes
I've only done some basic rappelling, mountaineering, and hiking. I would love to do "legitimate" mountaing climbing and get to some summits near me, but I don't have the money or time to pursue it at the moment.

I love it though. I love being outdoors and love exercising, not the mention the beautiful views from mountaintops are always worth it
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Mazzakazza
no.

i have been cliff/rock climbing though. Not really the same i guess, but climbing is great fun, and feels extremely rewarding in general!

Is it the sort of thing a newbie can get the "hang" of right away or is that just a likely way to die?
I haven't climbed a mountain or DD's....but I sure as hell would like to! I climb buildings around campus just because I can. It just gives such a great sense of satisfaction when you get to the top.
Quote by blackflag49
Is it the sort of thing a newbie can get the "hang" of right away or is that just a likely way to die?

Everyone starts somewhere... be smart, safe, and prepared to spend time and money on equipment and training and you should be fine
My God, it's full of stars!
Yeah, it's not too bad like, the main thing is you gotta straighten out your legs right away rather than hanging on for dear life - good climbing shoes are really important (and ropes!).

It takes a while to get into the swing of things, but I 'got' it within a 40ftish climb. Abseiling is worse, I'm terrified of heights.

Also, what he said ^ get someone knowledgeable with you!
I do a lot of rock climbing, it really depends on the area where you are wether it's dangerous or not (how well the routes are prepared), and on how well you prepare yourself in terms of learning how to handle the equipment and how to secure yourself.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I'm a pretty fanatical rock climber and hiker, but I've never done any Alpine style stuff. Hoping to head to the Alps next year.
I've done hikes each summer in France (Alpes, Pyrinees/whatever the spelling is) for about 6 years, pretty nice when you're with friends/family and bring your camera(s)!
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Hate it. The smell of the dirt in the air is awful and it can get pretty cold depending on the mountain you're climbing.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
Hate it. The smell of the dirt in the air is awful and it can get pretty cold depending on the mountain you're climbing.

So basically you don't like being outdoors?
Quote by Pagan-Pie
So basically you don't like being outdoors?

There's something different about the dirt in mountain air. It's hard to describe.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
I've climbed some pretty epic mountains in Norway. I love the feeling of standing ontop of a huge mountain and knowing you just conquered it.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by StewieSwan
There's something different about the dirt in mountain air. It's hard to describe.

Perhaps the mountains just stink where you live...
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Perhaps the mountains just stink where you live...

At least I have mountains where I live
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
At least I have mountains where I live

We sort of do...

Quote by GezzyDiversion
Are we talking hanging off cliff faces or hiking to the summit?

Doesn't mountain climbing entail both? That's my impression from Jon Krakauer's books. He's hiking, he's hiking, he comes to a vertical ice wall, suddenly he's scaling it with ropes and carabiners and whatnot. You have to be prepared for anything.
Yep, living in the North Cascades is ****ing awesome. So many peaks to climb around here. Anyway, I've done a handful of alpine trad climbs as well as a couple ice climbs and some other "climbs" that weren't quite as technical and just involved some steep glacier travel. My experiences have been good for the most part. Make sure you go with someone who knows what they're doing because this is an activity where there is no room for error. Last year, my uncle and I climbed Liberty Bell and we lost a rope on the rappel down. Thank god we had an extra. That being said, that was probably the diciest situation I've been in, other than a couple other mild freak-out moments, everything has been awesome!
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
We sort of do...

View from my city:

U jello?
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
View from my city:
big mountain

U jello?

Yes. Where is that?
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Yes. Where is that?

Colorado Springs, USA. Come visit sometime. We'll climb some mountains, breathe dirt, and have an ale.
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Ah awesome, I always wanted to visit there

And yes, delicious mountain dirt.
Quote by blackflag49
Doesn't mountain climbing entail both? That's my impression from Jon Krakauer's books. He's hiking, he's hiking, he comes to a vertical ice wall, suddenly he's scaling it with ropes and carabiners and whatnot. You have to be prepared for anything.

Well I've done the 3 peaks.....over the space of 10 years That has involved a scramble here or there. I go up to the Lake District every year with my Dad and did Scafell Pike of course, Hellvellyn, Skiddaw, Grisedale Pike, mostly the 3000ft'ers.
Quote by Twist of fate
THis one girl I made sex with had DDs
hows that for mountain climbing son?
That is a new of combining the terms. A 'passionate grudge bang'
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Incidentally, I will be climbing this in a couple of months:

Howling Ridge on Carrauntoohil in Co. Kerry.
I did some rock climbing in Alaska, and hiked some mountain trails before but I have never done actual mountain climbing. I can imagine it's really fun but super intense. Where are you thinking about going?

P.S. You should listen to Mountain's album Climbing while you do it.
Since we're talking about stuff we're going to climb, I'm going to climb Mont Blanc this summer:

Been training for half a year already for it, it's not the hardest climb in the world, but you need a good physical condition to make it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by K Reyn
I did some rock climbing in Alaska, and hiked some mountain trails before but I have never done actual mountain climbing. I can imagine it's really fun but super intense. Where are you thinking about going?

P.S. You should listen to Mountain's album Climbing while you do it.

Probably Mt. Marcy here in New York state, if I was going to take it seriously. It looks like an easy place for a beginner. Eventually I suppose I'd like to go to Alaska and do the really heavy duty climbing I've read about.

But that's in the future as it'd obviously take a lot of time and training, and the whole notion of mountain climbing only popped into my head this morning.
the closest to that would be rock climbing in gym class :p
or climbing up the, umm, rocky hills i guess up by sudbury, ontario
Greatest thing ever, been doing it for years and even as a starter you'll always be shown to appropriate places to climb. If you do it right there is no way to get seriously injured, but you will have scratches and bruises pretty much every time you go.

The parts I love the most are the views and the experiences you get (been rock climbing in china, which was absolutely amazing. not quite the same as mountaineering, but falls in the same category i guess). Also it's an amazing workout if you are into that...
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Page 1 of 2