So I'm getting away from metalcore, thrash, and blues for a while to expand my playing towards a new style/genre: Celtic. I know this Scottish/Irish form of music has been around ages before the invention of the guitar, and the whole idea of Celtic guitar is to imitate the sounds of pipes and fiddles with lots of hammer-ons, pull-offs and droning. The purpose of an open tuning such as d modal is to get the harp effect, basically turning the guitar into a full range of Irish instruments.

I'm well-versed in standard, drop d, flat, and d standard (dgcfad) tunings as far as chords and several scales. However, with the d modal tuning, things change dramatically. Standard chord formations are nil and a reliable web resource for building chords and using scales in d modal is something I've yet to find. Maybe this is because it's not as popular as some tunings or styles...I dunno.

I've looked for tabs on UG to try and find my way around this new tuning, but I've turned up little that's been helpful. Can anyone point me to a good web source/lessons/tabs/scale diagrams/chord charts? Or just provide some tips and advice?
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Last edited by AlphaBlackheart at Jul 2, 2011,
Try applying some theory and making the chords that way? If that fails I'd recommend visiting http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php and changing your tuning to D modal on that and just try to build chords from there. All the strings open should play a Dsus4 and the 4th 5th and 6th strings open will play a D5 chord if that's of any use to you.

EDIT: The open chord only applies if your 2nd string is tuned to A, I've seen a B used before. (Double Drop D)
Last edited by MCaribbean at Jun 28, 2011,
Just learn the notes on the fretboard in this tuning and save yourself the hassel of relying on spottily-available information. If you figure out where all the notes are building chords and scales is easy. You can even make your own scale/chord charts so you can always have that reference.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
So I'm getting away from metalcore, thrash, and blues for a while to expand my playing towards a new style/genre: Celtic. I know this Scottish/Irish form of music has been around ages before the invention of the guitar, and the whole idea of Celtic guitar is to imitate the sounds of pipes and fiddles with lots of hammer-ons, pull-offs and droning. The purpose of an open tuning such as d modal is to get the harp effect, basically turning the guitar into a full range of Irish instruments.

I'm well-versed in standard, drop d, flat, and d standard (dgcfad) tunings as far as chords and several scales. However, with the d modal tuning, things change dramatically. Standard chord formations are nil and a reliable web resource for building chords and using scales in d modal is something I've yet to find. Maybe this is because it's not as popular as some tunings or styles...I dunno.

I've looked for tabs on UG to try and find my way around this new tuning, but I've turned up little that's been helpful. Can anyone point me to a good web source/lessons/tabs/scale diagrams/chord charts? Or just provide some tips and advice?

Learn the notes on the neck, transpose them to the new tunings, grab some fretboard neck diagram paper and construct your own voicings based around your knowledge of triads. Basically get in and start working with them and get your hands dirty exploring them.

Best,

Sean
^ as always, sean comes through. looks like soviet ska suggested the same thing as well. i'll go ahead and third that one and call it a day
Thanks for all the replies and reminding me that the long way works best.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
DADGAD

May also be known as open d, though I think the g string gets a down-tune in open d, IIRC.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
DADGAD

May also be known as open d, though I think the g string gets a down-tune in open d, IIRC.

Yeah, Open D would feature an F#. This would be more like Open Dsus4. I guess D Modal is a cooler name.
Quote by Sean0913
I think its called that because of the tendency to maintain a low D pedal tone with some attractive voicings against it. I wouldn't necessarily use that name I'd call it DADGAD, but that's my reading of it, because of its resolution strengths.

Best,

Sean

It also doesn't seem to suggest any particular modality with just the 1st, 4th and 5th present. DADGAD works: it's kind of catchy!
In the OP the TS said which notes there were...it's just D standard. You have a lot to learn TS.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
DADGAD is a really cool tuning.

It's cool for using open strings mixed with fretted strings.

So try that tuning, fret a few notes at different parts of the neck, and then let the other strings ring out. You'll probably find some cool new sounds that you've never gotten out of your guitar before.
Quote by AlanHB
In the OP the TS said which notes there were...it's just D standard. You have a lot to learn TS.

By TS, I assume you mean me? Not sure what that stands for...

As far as the notes in the original post, that wasn't the tuning I was talking about. DGCFAD isn't the new tuning I'm experimenting with. I didn't know what else to call it, other than D standard. If it has another term, then by all means correct me.

As for the tuning in question, DADGAD, I borrowed the term D Modal from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADGAD

I was searching for a tuning that would give me a traditional Irish sound. Upon further research, I'm finding it's also known as Open Dsus4. I'll admit I'm dumb as a brick in terms of theory, but I know what sounds good.

If you haven't heard this tuning before, look up Andy McKee's "Drifting" on youtube.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Quote by AlphaBlackheart
By TS, I assume you mean me? Not sure what that stands for...

Strange, I swear there was something in your original post which made me think it was D standard you were playing with. No worries.

DADGAD is usually referred to as DADGAD. D modal is not a common term at all, and it also makes no sense at all, so I'd stop using that.

DADGAD is also a pretty common tuning in terms of alternate tunings, although it would help a lot of you knew your theory to help construct scales and chords with it. If you couldn't be bothered, just google DADGAD patterns and you'll have a whole heap of links for you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ah, DADGAD.

Yes, call it DAD...GAD and most everyone will know what you are talking about. "modal tuning" could really be any tuning at all that is tuned to a modal chord.

This is a Dsus4 chord.

You can help yourself with using it by checking out some tunes that use it:

Black Mountain Side
Kashmir
White Summer

All of those are by Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin
Okie....something for you gurus to think on...

I have a simple 4 chord progression in the key of G, I think:

Gadd9 D6 Em7add11 Cadd9
0 0 0 0
0 0 2 3
4 4 0 0
5 4 2 2
x 0 0 3
5 0 2 x

If I'm thinking correctly, the only chords I have left are variations of F#, A, and B. This is on an E minor scale. So here's what I've come up with for possible chords:

Asus4
x

As for F# and B...everything I've tinkered with on guitar pro has been off sounding or too difficult to play with hammer-ons and pull-offs.

I'll post a .GP5 soon as I finish transcribing it. If my chord/scale names are off, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Last edited by AlphaBlackheart at Jun 29, 2011,