Hello UG,

I'm planning on buying a new amp real soon, and I already made a thread here, I asked for some recommendations and I'm seriously considering either a Bugera 6262 212 combo or a Peavey 6505 plus 112 combo.

Now, what I want to know is, considering I'm going to buy it new, to play metal with, (and some post-rock), for practicing with my band, and small gigs later on, what amp is the most suitable?

I heard the bugera 6262 is based on the peavey 6505, yet it has 120 watts of power for a smaller price, whilst the peavey 6505 has 60 watts of power for 100 euros more. I would prefer using it at home too.
Also, what amp has the best sound?

Any opinions?

Thx, bauwke

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Don't bugera's ship with a fire extinguisher these days?

Regardless, i would look into getting a used 6505 head and a small cab over the combos. The combos have cheap speakers and are annoying to move.
Guitars
Amps
go for the peavey. at least it wont break down on you. sadly, i made that mistake
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
You won't be able to play either of them at home if you live in a city, just a heads up.
@meow1992
So, the bugera 6262 is a little bit unstable?
I can't have it fail on stage...
@Matt15f
I don't think I can afford a 6505 head and cab...
and aren't stacks hard to move too?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
the older bugeras were known to break down. not so much the newer ones. the chinese made 6505 actually breaks down a lot from what i've been told. i'm close with a lot of guitar shop employees, and they tell me those things come in all the time.

i've played both many times, and gigged with both many times as well (probably 30 times each). at the end of the day, the bugera always sounded better. there's more usable gain (the peavey has more overall, but you dont notice a difference after about 1:00) and the low end on the bugera is not only tighter, but more pronounced.

play both. but aren't Bugera high gain amps not being sold anymore because of the law suit?
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jun 28, 2011,
@Ascendant
I live near a city, I live next to a big field, and have a detached house, so...
@User_Name336
Thanks, gonna check both out this weekend (I hope),
did any of the amps break down when you used them?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I dont know about the 6505 but the 6260 sounds great and Ive had mine a year and have had no problems whatsoever, only the early models had serious reliability issues, plus you can buy one from thomann for only £260
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I own a 6262 212 combo myself and I love it. It broke within the first week of owning it but I got it repaired under warranty and I haven't had a problem since, and that was about 2 years ago now. The Bugera has a really nice tone overall with solid cleans and distortion whereas my understanding is the distortion is really nice with the Peavey but cleans are not their strong point. As you are comparing the Peavey 112 combo, not the head + cab, I would say go the Bugera. It is cheaper and you will probably find the overall cleans and distortion to be better. If it were the head and cab I would probably choose differently. I guess it could depend on how much you value the clean tone? I play a lot of post rock and I prefer to use the clean channel with loads of effects but thats just my two cents.
@RetroGunslinger
Thanks, do you use it for gigging? Is it loud enough?
@Borsworth
I basically need the distortion, but a little bit of cleans for the post-rock too, so I might consider the bugera, yet I don't want it to break down... What was the problem with it?
-
What are the differences between the 6260 and 6262 by the way?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Don't get me wrong. The Bugera still has plenty of gain, the Peavey just has more My amp was one of the earlier models which had a manufacturing defect with one of the circuitry components, or so the dude in the store said. Pretty sure all the recent models no longer have the problem but the rule of thumb here man is the more you pay the more you get. You're always gonna get a more reliable amp with the Peavey hands down.
Thanks, will base myself on your information when I try it out in the store this weekend

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Borsworth
Don't get me wrong. The Bugera still has plenty of gain, the Peavey just has more My amp was one of the earlier models which had a manufacturing defect with one of the circuitry components, or so the dude in the store said. Pretty sure all the recent models no longer have the problem but the rule of thumb here man is the more you pay the more you get. You're always gonna get a more reliable amp with the Peavey hands down.

That doesn't even make sense. The Bugera has more than enough again. If you are the kind of dude that has his gain at 11, you are either an idiot or your amp is broke..

I've had my 6262 for nearly a year with no signs of failing. This bandwagon is seriously getting old now. My advice is try both amps if you can and decide what you feel sounds better. You're just going to get a vast number of people arguing of what is better in here..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
6505+ 1x12. I have it. It functions awesome as a bedroom amp and the speaker inside is decent enough. When you jam or need to record, just find a 4x12 or borrow one or invest in one later...voila! your 6505+ 1x12 is suddenly a 6505+ head! minus 2 or 3 tubes.

Still, it's done me very well.

I also owned the 6262 2x12...for a week...
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Borsworth

Hold on, bugera just released that new infinium technology, which means they are new models, could that mean that it won't be reliable?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
have you ever tried marktplaats?

You have to wait for the Infinium series ( they come here around september )
there are some bugera's left on the bax-shop site, but i don't know they ship to belgium....

I think you have to check on marktplaats and tweedehands...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by WtrPlyr

it's the best amp for heavy!
and it's not too far away ( left of antwerpen FYI

and 600 is a nice price xD
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Having used both, and bought the 6505+ 112, you can take a wild guess at which one I liked better.

I also appreciated the fact that it sounded good and that it's built like a tank (except for the stock power tubes, which were shit).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
@Tunder250
So I can't buy one of those bugera's untill september?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Just get a 5150 2x12 and be happy.
Used of course
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Bauke:

The 5150 is the origional

Thats the best!!

And afaik no bugera's on thomann and musicstore.de
Only on baxshop

Didnt find it anywhere else

But srlssy: get the 5150!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Stacks are a pain to move but that's not what I was referring to. A nice 2x12 on rollers is pretty easy to move, I def prefer it to the combo I had once.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Adam124
That doesn't even make sense. The Bugera has more than enough again. If you are the kind of dude that has his gain at 11, you are either an idiot or your amp is broke..

You're right. I stand corrected. What I meant to say was the Peavey has a better, nicer sounding lead channel, not more gain. My bad. For the record I rarely have the gain past 3 or 4, if I even use the lead channel at all.