This is probably obvious but I'd rather make sure of what to do instead of blowing up my gear!

I have a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50w combo and when I play tonight I want to try hooking it up to a Marshall 1960 4X12 but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to put the plugs and where I'm supposed to have the switches. On the back of the Switchblade I have options for 4 Ohm; 1 X 8 Ohm; 2 X 16 Ohm and finally, 16 Ohm. On the back of the 4 X 12 I have a switch that goes from Mono to Stereo and two sockets to choose from. One is marked '4 Ohm' and '8 Ohm left' while the other one is '16 Ohm' and '8 Ohm right'.

If it helps, the speaker in the Switchblade is stock and the speakers in the cabinet are also stock.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
ok on the cab have it switched to 16ohm, on the back of the h&k use the 16ohm, speaker cable that and viola
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Slightly different question now. Whe I got to the pub to set up it was quickly apparent that space going to be an issue and if this is typical of where we'll be playing, I don't see how a 4X12 cabinet is going to be practical. Clearly I need a solution that makes better use of the space so I'm thinking of selling the 4X12 and getting a 1X12 extension cabinet instead so I can simply place the combo on top of the extension cabinet and use the speakers from both to effectively have a 2X12 for gigs and a 1X12 combo for the home. Is this a viable option for me and how would I set it up, given the connection options that I specified above? Furthermore, what specification should I look for on an extension cabinet so that I can use the combo's internal speaker as well as the speaker on the extension cabinet?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
great question. haha i am a huge proponenet that 4x12's are overkill, for any stage, at any level, ever.

what is the ohm of the speaker in the combo?

the outputs on the h&k as you stated are: 4 Ohm; 1 X 8 Ohm/2 X 16 Ohm and finally, 16 Ohm

ok so im guessing the speaker (could not find ohms on a website) is a 16ohm? if that is the case then get a speaker cab (extension cab 1x12, rated at 16ohms). then you will plug into the 2x16ohms. that essentially can make it 8ohm but that is what you will need to do, i am pretty certain.

anyone else here can help out
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

ok so i just emailed H&K with your question, ill keep you posted!

REPLY FROM H&K:

Hello Jesse,

Yes, connecting an 8 ohm extension cab is a bit tricky. You would need to wire it in parallel with the internal loudspeaker and then use the 4 ohm output. Or wire it in series and use the 16 ohm output.

In no case you should mismatch the impedance. If you connect the internal loudspeaker and the external 8 ohm cab with the 2x 16 ohm port the total impedance will be 4 ohm and that will shorten the life of the power tubes.

Best regards,

HK

on that note i would just pick up a 2x12 extension cab and use that for live shows, wired at 8ohms then use the combo for practice, sorry about the bad news, hope that helps