i noticed that if i pick closer to the bridge its easier to control the picking motion because there's more string tension, however it is also harder to mute.
if i pick closer to the neck its easy to mute but pick often gets caught in the strings.

do you think it is best to learn how to mute properly and pick at the bridge or pick closer to the neck and deal with it?
learn properly bro! If you dont, something else will come along later and you'll end up having to learn to do it properly anyway so just take some extra time now to save you hassle in the long run!
For mega-fast tremolo picking, I pick right up near the neck. Anything else, including normal trem picking, I pick just behind the neck pickup, like normal.

I'd say learn both, but also bear in mind the thickness of your pick has quite a bit to do with it. Fast picking is better suited to a thicker pick (giggity).
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by little_wingjimi
learn properly bro! If you dont, something else will come along later and you'll end up having to learn to do it properly anyway so just take some extra time now to save you hassle in the long run!

That is one of the most meaningless non-spam posts I have ever seen

TS: The key is to find a nice medium spot really, nothing too extreme that has the benefits of both. Also consider tone, there is a very definite difference in tone between picking near the bridge and near the neck.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

TS: The key is to find a nice medium spot really, nothing too extreme that has the benefits of both. Also consider tone, there is a very definite difference in tone between picking near the bridge and near the neck.

^^^THIS^^^

At the end of the day the techniques you use, including where and how you use them. Should only help you create the sound you invision in your head.

Never hinder yourself simply for the sake of playing a certain technique one way... if there is a better sounding "non-traditional" technique why not give it a shot? It really comes down to you and what you consider comfortable and what you think sounds good.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Not to mention, picking too close to the bridge makes you lose sustain.

I've always picked like most people do: Right between the neck and bridge pickup, and when I do palm-muted, uberfast metalfag stuff, I usually have my palm right where the string meets the bridge, and I'm picking right on top of the bridge pickup. That's just me though.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by MacMan2001
For mega-fast tremolo picking, I pick right up near the neck. Anything else, including normal trem picking, I pick just behind the neck pickup, like normal.

I'd say learn both, but also bear in mind the thickness of your pick has quite a bit to do with it. Fast picking is better suited to a thicker pick (giggity).

That's personal preference.

I play fast stuff, but with a very thin and small pick
Quote by SGstriker
Not to mention, picking too close to the bridge makes you lose sustain.

I've always picked like most people do: Right between the neck and bridge pickup, and when I do palm-muted, uberfast metalfag stuff, I usually have my palm right where the string meets the bridge, and I'm picking right on top of the bridge pickup. That's just me though.

yeah what i meant is having the palm right when the strings meet the bridge. i used to play a les paul and got used to pick close to the neck pick up. now i bought a 24 frets ibanez and since the neck is longer the neck pick up gets pushed back and i end up picking very close to the neck.
Well, I hate to be a spoilsport, but they both sound quite different.

So, pick a spot where you like the sound, and develop the technique to play there. It's perfectly possible to play ridiculously fast and clean picking anywhere, just go with what you want to hear.
i have another question, not sure if i have to make a new thread but here it goes.

i understand it is best to hold the pick at a 45 angle, however i noticed that if i play on high frets (say 16-24) of G B and high e strings the notes dont ring out as well, so i have to hold the pick more parallel to the strings and pick pretty hard.

is this normal or maybe there is something wrong with my guitar's action?

thanks
It's mostly preference, as long as your hand position isn't too extreme. There's really nothing I can tell you except to find a good balance of everything. Personally I pick directly over the middle single coil pickup (if there is one). I find it's a good balance of everything, so you might want to start there.
is this normal or maybe there is something wrong with my guitar's action?

If you use light strings or a low action you may notice you sound a bit weedy. I certainly find that I just don't sound ballsy past the 12th fret unless I'm on 10s+, if you use 9s or 8s maybe that's it.