Page 1 of 3
I'm in need of some helpful advice.

First of all, I'm an Asian so kindly keep that in perspective if you decide to help me out here.

I graduated last year and worked in a software firm for around 9-10 months. The work was not bad and I made some great friends.

However, I recently quit. There is this super-uber tough examination that's conducted yearly by the government and it gets you some really top notch posts. I was ambitious, and after a lot of research I decided to go for it. It really requires a TON of effort, basically months and months of poring over books.

I had been on and off studying for it in college and recently, finally decided to settle down to study. It is conducted in 3 stages and I have already given stage one and it went really well so I will probably clear it.

But the thing is, as much as this is a great career option, it imposes a lot of limitations. I am also kind of an adventurer and travelling enthusiast and this job will post a LOT of limitations on that stuff. And in the past 2 weeks, it sort of crashed down on me that I would not be able to do a lot of the stuff that I want to do and that this career option might end up making me miserable.I'm still young, 22; but I'm not going to be young forever and basically this is the time I should travel around, do odd jobs or whatever and basically figure my life out.

But I have already (most probably) cleared the first stage. The second stage is in 4 months. I can either suck it up, prepare for it and hope for the best in terms of my extracurricular interests, or I piss my effort away, and go headlong into figuring out what I want.

I have read a lot about how people go travelling for months to Europe, Asia etc for months after graduation and even do petty work overseas (join peace corps and all too) and that they are usually happier since they figure a lot of shit out in this time and end up making good career choices. But this seems to be mostly a part of American and British culture and you can well imagine the situation in Asia (parents control their kids to the hilt and "figuring out life" is called a meaningless waste of time which IMHO it isn't. Even college was a bit like school, partly because it was not compulsory-residential and partly because it's the way things go here. After exams I would be interested in going for a road trip and most others would go home to their parents and do nothing. Though I must say, I made the best out of it in the end and it wasn't totally hopeless ).

Sorry for the long read. Help appreciated here. I'm not able to concentrate on my studies due to this, I basically can't accept wasting away so much time and effort to get into a job I will end up hating.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Just no.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by spanishyanez
Just no.

Thanks. Real helpful,jackass.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Hmmm, have you traveled already? Can't you do that and then take the exam?

What kind of post would it be anyway?
This may be cliched advice, but go traveling. You're only 22 and have your whole life ahead of you for working.
Who the hell wants to have already hit their stride at ~25?
MATTERHORN
interesting story bro.

I can't answer this question for you. Personally I am a more adventurous type and not really career oriented at the moment. I'm currently in uni, which I will finish for the piece of paper, to show employers that im not completely useless but I have no desires to study further and get a good job.

This gives me a sense of freedom but I also worry how I will get by when I am older. I have a lot of plans in business ventures, music and what not but there is a chance that I will not succeed at them.

You really have to figure out what you want later on in life. If you get that awesome job now you might reap the benefits of it when you are older and filthy rich. On the other hand, you can enjoy while you are young and get a more regular job later or perhaps do the test later.

hope this helps in any way.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Quote by blackflag49
Hmmm, have you traveled already? Can't you do that and then take the exam?

What kind of post would it be anyway?

Yeah I have been on a few road trips and all. But nothing spectacular. Nothing like going off alone across Europe for 6 months. Or South America.

I could take a few short breaks, but basically It's a shit tough examination. I am making notes on my laptop right now, and basically I will need to sit my ass down and study HARD for the next 4 months. Graduation was a cinch compared to this. And I know I could make it if I put in the effort.

I would be in-charge of a district. All government department offices of a district would be under the direct charge of an officer and this examination is to select these guys.

20-25 years down the line,they end up in senior ministry posts, hopefully ending up as a secretary in a ministry. You can well imagine the power and prestige that goes along with it.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

can you finish this 3 part test, then after take a year or two off travelling, then go back to this job? or are you hired right after the results are in?
Quote by br33dlove
What kind of limitations?

Basically, here any goverment official if he intends to visit any other nation has to take a lot of permissions. They don't come easy. Then they ask how you intend to afford it and more problems.

Couple that with the fact that it's a sensitive job. I make one ****up during my "adventure" and my department is gonna open a can of whoop ass on me. No kidding.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

being a little bit older than you i would say this. go ahead and get a great job now. sounds like you are a go getter but sounds like this could very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity. i always say this, work when you are young relax when you are older. do you want to be working when you are 60 or do you want to retire at 55 with a pension of 90% of your paycheck then you can travel everywhere with your wife kids etc.

now is the time to build up your net worth, save up money buy properties (not yet housing market will still come down). im just looking at the economy and everything and i really think it will get much worse before it gets better. if you can secure a government position now, do it and hold on. you might not be able to do a month long backpacking trip but at the same time in 2 years no matter what job you have you wont be able to do that
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by K Reyn
Flip a coin. Heads you go travel and tails you get to work.

Heads you are a moron, tails you are an idiot.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

tl;dr
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
If you have money enough to stay alive, go adventuring. You won't regret it. Think about when you're 40 years old and you look back at the decision you made. You sound like a bright dude, so it's unlikely you'll have a problem finding solid work when you get back from your travels. Plus, employers LOVE people who have been abroad. So get out of here!
Quote by Seattle_sound35
Can you take the test, forget about it for a few years, then put it on your resume when you want to apply for one of those jobs?

So I would sorely wish. But the rules are pretty rigid. After the second stage is an interview. If you do not appear for any stage you are disqualified. It just is this way. Once I clear, I might be able to do what I want but that will be a narrow window of opportunity.

Once I am in government service, I am caged in many ways. Within the country I can go anywhere and do mostly whatever, but all the "crazy stuff" is out of bounds. And traveling overseas is a hassle.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Thanks everyone, but those who advocate traveling, there's one more issue. If I leave now and come back I'll have to start over with this. Which won't just be a bitch, it would be a mutant-rottweiler bitch.

And TBH I'm not even sure I want to go for this job. To be more precise, I'm not sure what I want. I have some research experience, so I have MS as an option as well as MBA or just going back to a job. Basically there are too many options and no clarity in my mind. It's been like this for 2 weeks.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Well dude, it seems like you're in a pickle. To be honest, it's hard for someone to make this decision for you.

On one hand- the government job seems a little ridiculous and maybe not worth the hassle. On the other- you've got a government job and all the nonsense that comes with that.

If I was you, I wouldn't bother anymore. Forget about the monotony of studying and just go on an adventure. Do you really want to be stuck in that job forever? I wouldn't. Go abroad and be really forward about making friends. Go to Europe and meet people that will change your life. If you're even remotely friendly they'll accept you and help you with everything you need.

Source: My girlfriends brother just came back from London and is depressed and wants to go back.
Quote by sage76

There is no need for that kind of animosity. If you don't like his comment, just ignore it. You're way to hostile for a person asking advice.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by zbest
There is no need for that kind of animosity. If you don't like his comment, just ignore it. You're way to hostile for a person asking advice.

Sorry man. But I've been mulling this over for 2 weeks and the last thing I wanted was some troll taking a crap on my situation.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by sage76
Sorry man. But I've been mulling this over for 2 weeks and the last thing I wanted was some troll taking a crap on my situation.

Lol it's ok dont worry about it. I was just saying that letting it upset you is worse then just ignoring it.
As for you're problem honestly I think you should go travel. It sems to be very important to you, on top of that you don't even know if you want this job. Go out and have fun if you can afford it, then after you experiance what you needed to you can make an informed decision on whether or not to go for this job or a different one.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by TheMastodon
Well dude, it seems like you're in a pickle. To be honest, it's hard for someone to make this decision for you.

On one hand- the government job seems a little ridiculous and maybe not worth the hassle. On the other- you've got a government job and all the nonsense that comes with that.

If I was you, I wouldn't bother anymore. Forget about the monotony of studying and just go on an adventure. Do you really want to be stuck in that job forever? I wouldn't. Go abroad and be really forward about making friends. Go to Europe and meet people that will change your life. If you're even remotely friendly they'll accept you and help you with everything you need.

Source: My girlfriends brother just came back from London and is depressed and wants to go back.

Well the job is generally considered worth the hassle, though I'm not sure how many of those who get in are actually happy. It does give you a lot of decision making power and the petty problems of life are gone.

You are right, I'm not sure whether I want to be stuck in that job forever but the things is I have invested a lot of effort and time (even some money) into it already.

And the Asian culture is pretty restrictive you see. Most of my savings are invested or used up in insurance and what not and my parents would be disappointed as hell to see me give this up, not to mention they wouldn't give me the money.

I have been living with them since I quit my job for studying for this exam.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I'd travel. You said the exam's administered yearly, so the opportunity will still be there when you return, and while it may be a pain in the ass to start the process over, you'll likely have gained some perspective on whether you want this position in the first place. Travel broadens the mind after all. And it'd be an even worse pain in the ass to have invested yourself so heavily in a position only to end up hating it, all at the expense of one of your other longtime aspirations.
I'd stop looking at it as "do I want this job," and look at it like this: "What is the worst that can happen if I don't get this job?" Would you be really upset if you traveled the world and then came back and got a slightly less prestigious job with maybe not quite as fat a paycheck? I'm not going to cast a vote either way, just trying to help you reason it out a bit. Ultimately it's your call, so my opinion really has no weight.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by sage76
Yeah I have been on a few road trips and all. But nothing spectacular. Nothing like going off alone across Europe for 6 months. Or South America.

See there's your problem. You want to play all day without doing any hard work.

If you want to blow money for 6 months you have to be rich. I don't know any job that will let you take a 6 month straight vacation.
Quote by metaldud536
See there's your problem. You want to play all day without doing any hard work.

If you want to blow money for 6 months you have to be rich. I don't know any job that will let you take a 6 month straight vacation.

You don't have to be rich to go backpacking. That's why it's called backpacking.
Quote by swordsofplague
I'd stop looking at it as "do I want this job," and look at it like this: "What is the worst that can happen if I don't get this job?" Would you be really upset if you traveled the world and then came back and got a slightly less prestigious job with maybe not quite as fat a paycheck? I'm not going to cast a vote either way, just trying to help you reason it out a bit. Ultimately it's your call, so my opinion really has no weight.

You make a good point. The "worst" wouldn't be too bad at all. But this job is not a "slightly" less prestigious job. That's the troublesome part. I am not that worried about a "good job". The economy is good here and so a career is not much of an issue. But the difference between this job and the other "good job" would be something like district attorney of New York vs city cop.

Not sure if that's apt here but it might be something like that.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by blackflag49
You don't have to be rich to go backpacking. That's why it's called backpacking.

Yeah I have no problem sleeping wherever and hitchhiking etc. It's not like I'm going to stay in the Hyatt.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Just do what would make you happy, TS. What's the point of life if you have money but you're miserable?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

if you had that software job, unless it was a short-term thing going in, i think that you made a mistake by quitting.

if you are thinking of traveling, you'll need a healthy amount of money saved up. if you are thinking of join the Peace Corps, it winds up being almost a 1.5 year long process from sending your application in until you get accepted and over a two year commitment once you are in whatever country you get sent to.

however, this government thing sound like you'd have it made if you get through it all successfully.
Some good advise going on in here. Personally if i were you i would go travelling, mabey see some cool places and have a good time with no regrets. Whatever you decide good luck mate.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Quote by sage76

Actually he had a point. Just has to be put better.

Heads is one, tails is the other.

Flip it, let it decide and see how 'disappointed' you are.

Then do it again. And again and again. Untill you have a good idea.

It is often hard to know what you really want to do until you get to the crunch, which can sometimes never come. For some folks this method brigs that 'crunch' on and adds a bit more perspective.

It worked for me yesterday.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by sage76
You make a good point. The "worst" wouldn't be too bad at all. But this job is not a "slightly" less prestigious job. That's the troublesome part. I am not that worried about a "good job". The economy is good here and so a career is not much of an issue. But the difference between this job and the other "good job" would be something like district attorney of New York vs city cop.

Not sure if that's apt here but it might be something like that.

soo.. if being a "city cop" has not so much of limitations n pays you as well then i dont see no problem. if your main aim is to discover life n do crazy stuff then why not specially if you can easily get another job. i think its all in prestige, you'll be respected by people if you do this exam n get the job than doing something you want n still make a living out of it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I write poetry
And it sucks.
Last edited by leafwhisperer at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by uhh_me?
if you had that software job, unless it was a short-term thing going in, i think that you made a mistake by quitting.

if you are thinking of traveling, you'll need a healthy amount of money saved up. if you are thinking of join the Peace Corps, it winds up being almost a 1.5 year long process from sending your application in until you get accepted and over a two year commitment once you are in whatever country you get sent to.

however, this government thing sound like you'd have it made if you get through it all successfully.

It was short term. People were quitting all the time, some good friends were leaving. There was no future there.

I can't join the peace corps bro, I'm IN ASIA. Not an American.

And anyway like I said the culture here is pretty restrictive, I haven't seen a single person go around the world travelling. Really. Though it's not surprising, you have no idea what 20 years of conditioning in this environment does to your way of thinking.

If I pick up my bags and leave for a few months, it would be literally like I dropped a grenade on everyone around me. They just wouldn't be able to grasp that concept. I know I shouldn't care but I'm just saying its that way around here.

And yeah the government job is a big deal. 15-20 years down they are like overlords. The bureaucracy controls everything here.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I'd say go with the job and then you can retire and spend until you do doing whatever the hell you like with all the money you've earned. If you go now, you're not going to gain anything from it to be honest. You'll regret it in 30 years when you're not very rich and you retire but can't travel more than once every couple of years, have an average house and car and splashing out on things becomes a big deal.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by leafwhisperer
soo.. if being a "city cop" has not so much of limitations n pays you as well then i dont see no problem. if your main aim is to discover life n do crazy stuff then why not specially if you can easily get another job. i think its all in prestige, you'll be respected by people if you do this exam n get the job than doing something you want n still make a living out of it.

"City cop" job is any private sector job. "Awesome job" gives you more power.
What scares me is if I go travelling, get into all sorts of crazy shit, come back and realize that the "awesome job" I stopped preparing for was the best one after all.

Worst case would be after travelling, I would still not be sure or unwilling to start the painful study process over again, settle for "city cop" job, get bored out of my mind in 5 years and then wish that I had gone for the "awesome job".

Why I would be unwilling to restart the study process : Too many candidates, too few vacancies, long and arduous selection process. Success rate is 1:250.

And right now, since I might get through stage 1, my chances are 1:12 or 13.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Page 1 of 3