Ok. Fine. You convinced me. I'm looking for a tube amp head unit. My budget is around $700, maybe $800 or so for a real winner. I'm a metal head, so the ideal amp would have quite a bit of distortion, though I don't want to sacrifice cleans if I don't have to. I play a Gibson Flying V and an Ibanez EGEN8 with a Dimarzio Evolution bridge pickup.

Ones that have caught my eye so far are the Randall RT503h, Mesa Boogie Transatlantic ta-15, and Jet City JCA20H. I hear a lot of people mention Peavy amps, but I've never really liked Peavy amps, so I'd prefer to avoid them if at all possible.
If your a metal head the ta-15 is not for you.

Look at used Mesa 2ch. duals or triples also single rectifiers series ones or rectoverbs .
Or used Peavey 5150 or 6505s.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
What type of metal are you into? "Metal" is a hopelessly broad term that doesn't really help us help you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What type of metal are you into? "Metal" is a hopelessly broad term that doesn't really help us help you.

Good point I awlays assume when someone says metal head there like me
He could be playing 80s metal
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Jet City's an awesome company, but for any kind of metal I'd stay away from the JCA20--you're better off with the JCA50 or 100, which are channel-switching amps and have the same lead channel circuit as the Soldano SLO-100 (though the cheaper OT takes some of the clarity out of the tone). Jet City sent one to a buddy of mine for an endorsement deal, and it holds up pretty well next to his $3000 Titan.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Yeah, we really need to know specifically what you're playing. Skip on the TA, for sure.

For like 800-ish, you could POSSIBLY find a 6505+ head and a cab.. If not, there's always a used 5150 212 combo.
Ah, sorry to be a bit vague, I suppose "Metal" is a rather broad term. Traditional is the lightest metal I play with thrash at the most extreme. Think Sabbath to Slayer.
Quote by yudansha1201
Ah, sorry to be a bit vague, I suppose "Metal" is a rather broad term. Traditional is the lightest metal I play with thrash at the most extreme. Think Sabbath to Slayer.

Jet City JCA50H or a used JCM 800 with a boost.
In that case, the JCA20h with the right boost would work fine.

BUT, the JCA50H would work much better.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Jet City 50 seems to have a good reaction, so I'll make the pilgrimage to the store nearby that has it and give it a try. Thanks for the help everybody.
For that price, try Carvin's X100B. I think it is on sale right now.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Definitely get a Marshall JCM800. The 50W version would be good (I believe this is the 2205, not exactly sure on the Marshall numbering). They can be had as low as $800 if you look hard enough, but they more often go for $900-1000.

I doubt there's a better amp out there for you given your budget and tastes.

If you want to spend a fair bit less though, check out a Peavey Windsor. It's a JCM800 copy, but (IMO) it has potential to be better through modding. There are a lot of really good mods out there for the Windsor, and it's a seriously good amp for the price with a little work.

You'll also want a boost for thrash - the Boss SD-1 is pretty popular with British flavored amps. There's also the classic Tubescreamer as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Used JCM 800, 2203 or 2204.

New or used Jet City 50 or 100 or HDM.

Peavey schtuff.

Used Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier or Dual Rectifier.

Etc etc.
How about the Carvin V3m. I'm no expert but I think it will do all that you want and it's bang on your price.
Quote by Offworld92
If you want to spend a fair bit less though, check out a Peavey Windsor. It's a JCM800 copy, but (IMO) it has potential to be better through modding. There are a lot of really good mods out there for the Windsor, and it's a seriously good amp for the price with a little work.

I have one of those, and I modded it to be more JCM800ish (on the way to Plexi-ish). It's one of the easiest mods I've ever done, and it sounded awesome.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by Henry Wilt
How about the Carvin V3m. I'm no expert but I think it will do all that you want and it's bang on your price.

The V3M and the regular V3 seem to be really cool, versatile amps, but I've heard some people saying they have a nasty hiss to them. Has anybody played one that can verify?
Quote by yudansha1201
The V3M and the regular V3 seem to be really cool, versatile amps, but I've heard some people saying they have a nasty hiss to them. Has anybody played one that can verify?

Any high gain head without a built in noise gate is going to have some hiss.
That said, the V3 does NOT have any more than other heads. If you dime the gain, there's gonna be noise, but even running w/gain on 7 on the intense (highest gain) the noise is very controllable.

Also, the cleans (ZERO noise) are VERY good!

These are VERY versatile heads...well worth a look.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
my vote is for the v3m
its so much greatness in such a small and price friendly package
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Vinson
That said, the V3 does NOT have any more than other heads. If you dime the gain, there's gonna be noise, but even running w/gain on 7 on the intense (highest gain) the noise is very controllable.

That makes sense. It's a shame that they don't have many dealers, I'll have to order one online if I get one. I think what I'll do is go to the local store and check out a Jet City amp, and unless I fall in love what that on the spot, take the risk and go for a V3 or V3M. Thanks again for the help.
Quote by Vinson

Also, the cleans (ZERO noise) are VERY good!

These are VERY versatile heads...well worth a look.

I've just got the V3M on Monday evening and whilst I haven't had too much chance to play around yet I would say I have found it is the the same as Vinson has described with the V3.
I believe that if you order on-line with Carvin you have 10 days to try it to see if you like it and if not you can return it. Maybe worth considering from that point alone.

Here's a link to the official demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUrRVldYlY