Old amp is seemingly unrepairable(and I've been wanting something different) so it's time to buy a new amp. I've been out of the gear world for a few years now though.

Currently have a 400 watt @ 4 ohms 4x12 bass cab, but willing to replace it if needed. Hauling that thing is ridiculous.

I was using a peavey vb-2 225 watt tube head that was nice. big sound and could overdrive it when i wanted. I liked it but have fallen out of love with it.

Looking for something I can use for classic rock mostly but, of course, versatility is a huge plus. Also into thrash/power metal. Reliability is KEY, so i intend to go SS this time. I do like a driven sound with a solid low end and mids. It will have to fill small - medium venues without PA, we bring a different system for large gigs so I'd have my own channel to run into then.

With a budget of about $1000 US what should i be looking at? what would you be looking at and why?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
hold on hold on "seemingly unrepairable"

You went on a smash-the-amp rampage to get a new amp didn't you!
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
HAHA! no. I've sent it to 4 different repairmen and they all send it back saying it's fixed only to have the power tubes blow after 5 minutes to 2 practices. I'm done with that thing...
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Carvin B2000. It will set you back around $700.00 and has all the power and tone you are looking for. You can also drop it off of a three story building and go play a gig with it afterwards.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
With that kind of budget I'd be looking at things like Genz Benz Shuttles or the new Streamliners, or maybe the Eden WT550. Markbass has a nice variety of micro heads in straight SS or tube hybrid flavors.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Revelation
HAHA! no. I've sent it to 4 different repairmen and they all send it back saying it's fixed only to have the power tubes blow after 5 minutes to 2 practices. I'm done with that thing...

Sounds like your techs are dodgy. I won't pretend to be an expert on these matters but it sounds like it's biased too hot or you've got a dodgy transformer.

As for a new amp... Used SWR 750x?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
We actually modded it to have a bigger bias thingy (not a tech myself hehe) and i did that with the guy both guitarists go to for retubes/mods etc. i'm the only one with issues still. I'm tired of paying for new power tubes every 2 weeks.

I'm very much thinking about markbass. And i'm open to used. Not thrilled, but open to it. Hitting a couple stores tomorrow and will hopefully be able to update.

Carvin has always intrigued me, but the only amp demos you can find are 100% slap bass. Tells me nothing since i don't use slap at all with my band.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Jun 28, 2011,
Well, I've made my decision. Went in and fell in love with this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Little-Mark-Tube-800-Bass-Amp-Head-105313670-i1465108.gc

The amp is really clear and beautiful. The VLE really helps toward a bigger vintage sound, while the VPF(i currently leave it on 0) is basically a contour knob for easily scooping your mids. Great for slap. Super easy to shape many usable tones, and more than enough power

Also got two used ashdown cabs to use for now. the 410H and 115H. These will likely be replaced in the future but fill the ohm/wattage requirements for now and still sound pretty sweet.

It's all actually on layaway since i need another trip to the bank, but i'm going back around saturday to pick it all up.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian