So im wanting to make my room full of my guitars, amps ect. more soundproof but i realize that is really damn expensive. Any alternatives into dampening sound coming out of a room that is relatively cheap?

Thanks
egg carton halves all over the walls

checked to see if this was just a myth, and it is.
Last edited by shreddymcshred at Jun 28, 2011,
foam blocks and large cardboard egg cartons stuck to the wall used to help us at our old radio station back in the day.
Egg cartons will diffuse and reflect sound, but they won't absorb sound.

Basically, the standard formula still applies: mass + insulation + mass = soundproofing, where the greater the mass and the more absorbent the insulation, the better.

Look for things that have mass that you can apply to your walls... mattresses, carpets, etc.

Bear in mind, though, that your results will likely be less than satisfactory, because to make any really significant difference, you need to do this to the entire room, including the ceiling and the floor.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Keep fire safety in mind when doing this. A lot of the materials used for acoustic treatment are highly flammable. A nice throw rug on a wooden floor is a good start to treating a room. That's all I use here.
King sized quilt/duvets. Everywhere.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
hanging a thick, heavy blanket a couple inches from each wall (corner to corner) is one way ive heard works half decently. you get your mass to absorb some sound, then the dead space behind it is your insulation, and your wall is a bit more mass. it wont be great, and it probably isnt even worth it unless you already have the blankets.
If it's for recording, build iso boxes for your cabinets. It's MUCH cheaper than doing a whole room, but it wont work so well for casual playing since you'll have to mic it and listen through speakers/headphones.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299117
The guide is lacking anything on ceilings and floors... I'm working on that one on top of the two plus hours of homework each night...

For 120 dollars you could get enough sound insulation to do a standard sized bedroom.
As far as acoustics in a jam room, I found carpet and a couch to be enough but my ceiling is 6'-4" high.

To those who suggest egg-crate foam and blankets on the wall, the foam will only absorb the high frequencies which will result in what seems like boosted mids and lows in the room. It doesn't actually boost them, they are much louder than the highs.
You can make acoustic panels and have them away from the wall(Inches away.) which will cut the mids.
The are also bass traps. I'm not going to get into these too much. They are essentially big foam blocks which sit in corners. I believe you can buy square ones as well.
Don't quote me on this though, I don't know how well my memory works.
It's a good starting point.
..I was watching my death.
Soundproofing is not worth it unless you are literally investing 100s of thousands of dollars in a studio. Why? Because doing it properly costs 10's of thousands of dollars, at least. Why not go DI and get yourself a nice set of headphones?

I have a baby in the house and am recording a death metal album. I record my guitars DI and use a drum machine (at least for now.) I've talked to drummers that might be willing to lay down some beats for me.

In my opinion having amps upon amps is great for Guitar Center's bank accounts, and possibly a good workout if you move the stupid things around a lot (might google "how to lift heavy shit without destroying your back" though)

"They" say you can't play a guitar through a stereo system. Bullshit! Get a good DI box, and maybe a little mixer/digi interface, and monitor it through your stereo. Want to mic the guitar?

Mic the stereo.

You may blow a speaker, but so what? Plenty of stolen equipment at pawn shops for $10-$20, $100 for Harmon-Kardon and crap like that...

I didn't steal it, not my problem.

That's how I do it and noise is no problem for me. I can lay down the most blasting brutality ever and the baby sleeps right through it. Set it at 3 dB if I have to.

...or use headphones.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

If you want it to make your recordings sound better, a really easy thing to do is simply put a VERY thick blanket over your amp and slip the mic under the blanket, makign sure it is copletely covered. I use it and it helps my recordings a lot. But really, if you want to literally soundproof a room, there is no cheap way to do it for real. To get somewhat alright results you can line the walls in sheet rock, blankets, or just old shirts. Getting the cieling is very important. If youre floor is carpeted ignore it, if not cover it too.
IVe used all of these techniques and found that covering the mic and amp when recording isolates out a lot of extra hiss and white noise and such. Or, do as the other one said and put a box around your amp and line the entire with a blanket or old shirt. Same thing, just dampen the echo and extra noise.

You could try recording directly, but I personally feel you lose a bit in that process. ITs definitely a way to go though.

to Correctly and fully soundproof, you have to do it AS your building the room/studio, as even the foundation plays a hgue part.

In my eperience, the egg carton thing doesnt help at all. Try hanging up rubber sheet. It works, really good.
cant you just record the guitars or vocals which ever you want and then just edit all the extra noise out? i know you can o my recording software
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
cant you just record the guitars or vocals which ever you want and then just edit all the extra noise out? i know you can o my recording software

No, because the 'noise' isn't only affecting the sound when the guitar is silent...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
yes, to recap on his last bit, the noise rmeoval tool reomves it from the whole track, not jsut the silent bit.
I don't see how you lose anything recording DI?

My recommendation is to record DI and route the signal into your closet where you have a practice amp miked.

Mix the DI and the mic signal.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Personally, I find amp sims sound best when combined with a real amp and a real mic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.