Just wondering... I recently tuned my bass to Eb to play in my band, but I stick a capo on the first fret whenever I need standard tuning. I assume it's uncommon since you usually don't need to play chords on a bass, but I use lots of open notes on some songs so it helps a lot.

Anyone else use one?
Professional lurker since 2009.
For chord and tapping based solo work I do. In fact I have one on right now, was working on my bass version of Rylynn earlier.

Normal playing I don't. My guitarist uses Eb standard and F standard, but my lines in my band are quite at home in Bb standard minus a capo.
Not just for chords, sometimes you need a capo to get those pedal tones.
On bass, its fun to mess around with, but I've never used one seriously. I wrote a solo piece, with the capo on 6 once, and it had a lot of open string pull offs, and sounded fairly cool.

I wouldn't use it for standard playing, unless I was playing a lot higher frets, with open notes in between, to save jumping around the neck.

IMO, you should just tune up, whenever its needed. If you just use standard for home playing, it shouldn't matter so much, to tune up, and even in between songs at gigs, your leader should keep the crowd happy, if you need to alternate, within a set.
I want one. I want to cover Opeth's Windowpane but I need a capo on the second fret. My strings would snap if I tried going to F#.
pinga
I've used one in jazz soloing in the upper frets, but more for messing around than anything else.

This topic always reminds me of the ghetto solution for bass capos that Chris posted way back when:

Quote by Stud_Muffin
IMO, you should just tune up, whenever its needed. If you just use standard for home playing, it shouldn't matter so much, to tune up, and even in between songs at gigs, your leader should keep the crowd happy, if you need to alternate, within a set.

Well, I've been told that constantly changing the tuning of the instrument might mess up the calibration over time.

I'm pretty sure the best solution in my case would be to have 2 basses, one for each tuning - but I probably won't have a chance of having another 'till my b-day. :/
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by technoguyx
Well, I've been told that constantly changing the tuning of the instrument might mess up the calibration over time.

I'm pretty sure the best solution in my case would be to have 2 basses, one for each tuning - but I probably won't have a chance of having another 'till my b-day. :/

A capo's cheaper than a new bass - go with what works. If you're comfortable with a capo, go for it. If music was about adhering to everyone else, we'd all be auto-tuning our voices instead of playing actual instruments.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Cb4rabid
I want one. I want to cover Opeth's Windowpane but I need a capo on the second fret. My strings would snap if I tried going to F#.

Good point, that song was a pain in the ass the one time I tried to play it without a capo.
Quote by edgeyyz
Good point, that song was a pain in the ass the one time I tried to play it without a capo.

I actually tabbed it before knowing he used a capo. If you look at my tab it's in E but the whole piece is practically centered around F#.

Then I saw the live version... <- my reaction.
pinga
I only use it to mess around, when i want a droning note over a melody and theres no way to reach it without breaking my hand. I keep my bass in standard, but if i ever play along to something requiring Eb, I just run my bass through a detuning effect in my multieffects box and set it to -1. Dont see why I should retune all the strings when there is a much simpler, lazier solution available...
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Quote by anarkee
I've used one in jazz soloing in the upper frets, but more for messing around than anything else.

This topic always reminds me of the ghetto solution for bass capos that Chris posted way back when:

I used to do that all the time!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Deliriumbassist
For chord and tapping based solo work I do. In fact I have one on right now, was working on my bass version of Rylynn earlier.

I would like to hear that

OT: I've tried it before. The capo I have doesn't seem to be able to hold down the heavier strings very well. I probably need to get a new one.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings