hey guys, i just dropped off my crate to a techs shop for a diagnosis/ retube kinda deal. long story short, he uses sovtek tubes in his repairs but he can get any tube u prefer. i had my mind set on JJ's but he mentioned sovteks are pretty decent and a little cheaper. seeing as how i need 6 power amp tubes i want to go more affordable without losing tonal quality. 6L6's btw

Advise
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
IN my experiences the JJ Eurotubes are sexy... very musical. Softer, but more musical, and better complexity in the mids.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
The way I see it, it's your amp. If you have a specific reason for choosing one type over another, then go for it. If they're in your budget, why not?
Well irk i just bouht the amps with blown tubes all i know is that its got groove tubes in there o.O
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Wrong Post Somehow o.O sorry!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I'd say it depends on the tube. If you're looking at 12AX7s, i haven't found better than Sovtek's 12ax7LPS in terms of sound. Everything else i'd go for JJs...
I need to try that specific preamp tube, but I swear by Tung Sol and EHX for right now. I also like some old Phillips glass.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by timbit2006
JJ power tubes are dark sounding. Thought I'd let you know.

i have to disagree. i believe JJ power tubes are on the brighter side. they are chimey, and has the definition. however, JJ preamp tubes are very dark.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i have to disagree. i believe JJ power tubes are on the brighter side. they are chimey, and has the definition. however, JJ preamp tubes are very dark.

Damnit, got the two mixed up.
I meant to say JJ preamp tubes are dark.

I have two JJ 7027A's in my '77 Ampeg VT-40. They are one of the few companies that still make 7027A's. This is mostly unrelated to the thread...

I have a couple JJs in the preamp and my amp became darker. I combated this by simply pressing the "Ultra-Hi"(Or something like that.) on my Ampeg and it was all good.
..I was watching my death.