I go through a single high E every 4-6 months, is that normal?

I use D'addario 09-42 Nickel Wounded Strings
I use my tremolo a couple times a day (OFR)
I play the standard stuff...
Metallica
Guns and roses
Random songs with nice rhythms
and I try to make up my own riffs and leads

My strings break everywhere:
-Bridge
-Nut
-Right at the peg
-The rare ball breakage

is it the strings? The nut? The floyd? IS IT ME?
???
i change my strings probably once a month, or two. they dont usually break, but i imagine that they would after 4 months. once they get gritty feeling, its usually time to change them.
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
I change strings every month and a half. Normally because i play a lot and the strings get flat-spotted and their tone starts to diminish.

Once in a blue moon they break at the bridge saddles if i pick or bend REALLY hard.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
In all my years of playing, I've never broken a string - never. I do a lot of bends, too.

Breaking a high E every 4 to 6 months? Probably not too bad, when you consider everything. It might be your style of playing, since they seem to break in random places. Most people replace their strings every month. I replace mine every year or so. Serious. I use a string lubricant to keep them from rusting.
For awhile I was changing every 2 weeks, jussayin. It just be that your strings get old and weak, plus you use pretty light gauged strings.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Well most people change them every month or two months, myself I usually just change them when I can visually see that they're getting dodgy or when one breaks, but I wouldn't really advise that as I notice the massive increase in tone when I stick new strings on.

I only change my strings so little because I've got a floating bridge and I ****ing hate tuning on that thing, so while I'm just a bedroom player I can live with the lesser tone.

I wouldn't worry about it, every six months is a pretty good run for strings, granted they probs don't sound as good in the later months though, you could get away with replacing them more often if the tone annoys you.
Dude! those strings must be dirty, smelly, and dead (no tone). Do yourself a favor and change your strings once a month. You'll enjoy playing way more with new shiny strings and a great sustaining tone.

Can't have old strings and expect them to last. No guitar pro plays with old strings.
Using a floating bridge will add stress to the strings when you use it, but seeing as your strings break everywhere I'd say it's mostly the guitar, perhaps with you thrown in and mixed lightly to taste. Perhaps your nut or bridge has a bur in it. Perhaps your tuning peg isn't smooth, but a bit sharp. Perhaps you're simply giving the strings an absolute thrashing by playing way too hard.

Although even if you were doing all that with your high E string lasting nearly half a year... I'd say the problem is simply the strings have rusted through from staying on for so damn long. I've never broken a string with my guitars, but I still change them every one to two months as they become dull and start to rust. If you change your strings as often... I doubt you'll get any breakages.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Wonder how many of these "change the strings every month" guys have Floyd Roses? Or a whole bunch of guitars.

That said, 4-6 months on a 9 isn't that bad. I break more strings while restringing than I do playing, though (while giving them a good stretch so tuning stays stable). But then I don't ever have to re-tune my Floyd Rose guitars between string changes (as long as I keep them at a stable temperature).

Careful about leaving them on more than 4 months, though. Corrosion build-up on the strings can destroy your frets quickly.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jun 28, 2011,
Quote by KG6_Steven
I replace mine every year or so. Serious. I use a string lubricant to keep them from rusting.

Me too.

It's probably the strings, not you, if you don't abuse the trem alot. They are bound to break eventually. Especially if you are a heavy picker, use trem and bend.

Fast Fret and The String Cleaner are amazing. Using those often guarantees no rusting/ dirty strings. NO, I'M NOT AN ADVERTISER
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Most people don't even keep strings that long, i say ur doing fine
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
4 months is on the long end for average string life. you're doing just fine

I usually try to aim in the 4-8 week range. shorter on guitars I play more.
Quote by solidrane

I use D'addario 09-42 Nickel Wounded Strings
I use my tremolo a couple times a day (OFR)
I play the standard stuff...
Metallica
Guns and roses
Random songs with nice rhythms
and I try to make up my own riffs and leads

My strings break everywhere:
-Bridge
-Nut
-Right at the peg
-The rare ball breakage

is it the strings? The nut? The floyd? IS IT ME?

That's good life for a high e string. I change my strings when they break or after 3 months if they don't.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Geeze, 4-6 months? How often do you change your strings? I try to replace my strings every 2 weeks, I prefer fresh strings cause they sound way better, and stay in tune way better. I'll go longer if I can't afford new strings, but I never keep my strings on more than 2-3 months.

The way your breaking strings, it sounds like to me you keep them on way too long, and they just rust and break where the most rust is, or they develop stress points over time.
I change mine every two weeks when I use round wounds. every month for flat wounds.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
I rarely change strings, maybe once every 3-4 months. And that's on both my TOM and Floyded guitars. I've learned to model my tone on something that's a lot more consistent: seasoned strings. A string sounds pretty much the same from a few weeks on (with DR strings anyways), so why chase tone based on fresh strings when that tone is very temporary?

TS: You're doing just fine. Strings aren't permanent and they're bound to fail eventually, plus you're getting excellent life out of your strings. I've noticed the little e string becomes more brittle across it's entire length when you downtune frequently. Usually they'll break at the tuning post but they can break where a flat spot occurs from the frets as well. I wouldn't worry about it though, you're doing completely fine with your string life.

EDIT: To the guy above me, Dax Riggs. +1
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 28, 2011,
Every 4-5 months or so. Once I've gone like 6 months or so, They still had plenty of tone, they just looked crappy, If people honestly change their strings every week or so, they must be rich, or doing something horribly horribly wrong.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
ball breakage? are we really talking about an OFR? If so you may want to change the way you string a guitar...
Quote by KG6_Steven
In all my years of playing, I've never broken a string - never. I do a lot of bends, too.

Breaking a high E every 4 to 6 months? Probably not too bad, when you consider everything. It might be your style of playing, since they seem to break in random places. Most people replace their strings every month. I replace mine every year or so. Serious. I use a string lubricant to keep them from rusting.

Does special string lube work better than WD40 or lemon oil?

I've been using WD40 for years makes the strings last two or three times at long about 4 or 5 months rather than 4 to 6 weeks. I was getting about 3 months out of lemon oil before changing to WD40.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Does special string lube work better than WD40 or lemon oil?

I've been using WD40 for years makes the strings last two or three times at long about 4 or 5 months rather than 4 to 6 weeks. I was getting about 3 months out of lemon oil before changing to WD40.

I highly doubt that WD-40 is good for your fret board, since WD-40(Water Displacement formula 40) displaces water.

There's this stuff called fast fret that is designed to clean your strings.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I highly doubt that WD-40 is good for your fret board, since WD-40(Water Displacement formula 40) displaces water.

There's this stuff called fast fret that is designed to clean your strings.

That stuff is amazing. And one stick lasts more than a year if you use it every few days.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Even a simple wipe down of the strings and guitar after each session will extend the life of strings easily another month if say your playing regularly. It's sweat and moisture in the air that will kill strings the quickest so to get 4-6 months out of them it seems like thats pretty good.
I live near a beach and I play a lot = my strings rust in a couple of days (with me wiping them with a cloth, but no products though). I use D'darios .010
Quote by jetwash69
Wonder how many of these "change the strings every month" guys have Floyd Roses? Or a whole bunch of guitars.

That said, 4-6 months on a 9 isn't that bad. I break more strings while restringing than I do playing, though (while giving them a good stretch so tuning stays stable). But then I don't ever have to re-tune my Floyd Rose guitars between string changes (as long as I keep them at a stable temperature).

Careful about leaving them on more than 4 months, though. Corrosion build-up on the strings can destroy your frets quickly.

i have 13 guitars that i use on a regular basis. i play old strings all the time. i know i could afford to change them all monthly, but i sure as all hell don't want to. i for the most part have gotten used to old strings, and they dont' bother me at all. also i don't like that when you restring a guitar bending sucks because of the slipperyness of the new strings' polished finish.

i just played one of my les pauls that i didn't touch for six or so months, strings were bad at first, but that seems to wear off and they become more playable as the oxidation wears off.

i typically string two guitars per month on average, not like a religous thing. and when i put new strings on, i play those guitars a lot until the strings are less than ideal, then i string up another guitar.

i sometimes i break strings, but thats just part of life.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i'd say 4 to 6 months is quite nice before you snap the high E. i use a lot of bends in my playing and the maximum i've got out of my high E with a .10 set of gibson bright wires is 3 months.
4 to 6 months is longer then most guitarist keep their strings on. i'd say you have to swap the set everytime you break a string with these 4 to 6 months, unless you break it like a week after you've put it on.
based on your information i say your strings keep up above average! no worries!
I don't remember even giving a string a chance to break.... I've been religious in changing my strings every month, or two months at the most. Like others, I do use Fast Fret too, which I have no doubt increases the life of the strings.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by cisco444
Dude! those strings must be dirty, smelly, and dead (no tone). Do yourself a favor and change your strings once a month. You'll enjoy playing way more with new shiny strings and a great sustaining tone.

Can't have old strings and expect them to last. No guitar pro plays with old strings.

What a loads of rubbish. "Dead (no tone)" - The tone changes. You might prefer the tone of the new strings, or you might prefer old, it's a preference. If you like new, cool.

"No guitar pro plays with old strings" - Ahhhhhhhh so you are basing your taste on what someone else likes!!!!

IMO - If they ain't broke............... I don't change them unless I'm giving my guitar a good clean. I like worn in strings.

Quote by solidrane

It depends on how you attack the strings. As the strings are breaking in different areas it's prob down to many factors, Are you using the edge of the pick, striking hard, not cleaning them/moisture, etc?
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Jul 1, 2011,

IMO - If they ain't broke............... I don't change them unless I'm giving my guitar a good clean. I like worn in strings.

QUOTE]

couldn't agree more. thats what i do. i think the last time a changed the strings on an electric without having a broken string on a 6 month set, unless i am gigging with that guitar.

the other reason may be if i am using a guitar that has really old strings on it, and know that that guitar is going to be used for that gig, i will put new strings off a week or two prior, to minimize potential of breakage on stage.

i honestly prefer the tone of a half dead string than a bright, slippery new string.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/