I already have a maple neck-thru in my Jackson Soloist and I also own a Yamaha Pacifica so now I'm looking for a third guitar and fortunately I have a reasonable idea of the spec I'm after:

Mahogany body
Maple Cap
Mahogany neck with decent upper fret access
Ebony or Rosewood fretboard (ideally ebony)
Twin Humbucker
Fixed bridge
3-way switch
Neck dimensions not a million miles away from the guitars I have now.

My budget is up to £400. I was thinking of the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom but I'm wondering if the neck will be too thick compared to the guitars I already own. Any ideas?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Seems like an Epiphone Les Paul would be right up your alley.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The Epiphones did cross my mind but there are an awful lot of models to choose from. Can you be more specific? I am prepared to go used if it helps. I'm also curious about the neck dimensions on an Epiphone Les Paul.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I already have a maple neck-thru in my Jackson Soloist and I also own a Yamaha Pacifica so now I'm looking for a third guitar and fortunately I have a reasonable idea of the spec I'm after:

Mahogany body
Maple Cap
Mahogany neck with decent upper fret access
Ebony or Rosewood fretboard (ideally ebony)
Twin Humbucker
Fixed bridge
3-way switch
Neck dimensions not a million miles away from the guitars I have now.

My budget is up to £400. I was thinking of the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom but I'm wondering if the neck will be too thick compared to the guitars I already own. Any ideas?

OHNO Mahog body/Mahog Neck? = Neckthru under £400???

go up £50 and get an ESP LTD EC401NT!!

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-401.html

Or you can get an epiphone LP heheh (too thick?)
???
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jun 28, 2011,
have a look at vintage les pauls (company is called vintage), within your budget, fit your description and many people recomend them to be better than many of the epiphone les pauls
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Keeping "fret access" in mind, an Epiphone SG would probably be the standard choice.

But just staying in Epiphone, it's like you said, there are many many guitars that fit the specs you want. While an SG and a Flying V both fit those specs, they are completely different guitars. In a world/brand that has SGs, flying Vs, semi-hollows and a couple of others, I would make the effort to already be a little more specific.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Well, like my Pacifica, this will need to be a backup guitar so in that respect it needs to go from Blues to Metal but while my Jackson and Yamaha are loaded with hot pickups, I'd like to tone this one down a bit. Ultimately the pickups will change so I'm not bothered about that part of the specification, just as I wasn't with the Yamaha. For a mahogany guitar I'll probably load it with a set of Bare Knuckle 'Emeralds', which are quite bright pickups so should sit well in a mahogany guitar. I like the spec of the Michael Kelly a lot and clearly it's a very good guitar for the price but compared to what I have, it's a rather chunky neck.

Epiphone is a possibility but I don't know too much about them. In terms of shape it would be either a Les Paul or maybe an SG. I'm too old for daft shaped guitars sadly.

Other possibilities that have crossed my mind are a Hagstrom Swede of some description (I know nothing much about these), Ibanez ART300, Ibanez ART320, Ibanez AR200, Cort M-520, Cort M-600, Cort Z44, Cort KX1 and some sort of Wasburn. Any thoughts on any of these?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Go with your 1st choice, it fits your criteria to a tee and they are just gorgeous guitars.

I bought a Patriot Custom a couple of weeks ago and I'm well happy. I did have a Pacifica previously and the neck dimensions are very similar, although I can't speak about how close it is to the Jackson as I've never held one.