Hey dudes!

I play guitar in a band called Hellcannon: http://www.facebook.com/hellcannonmetal

I'm trying to add more life/color to my solos. I know delay and chorus can be effective, however when you're playing music this fast it gets sloppy. maybe reverb or something....

Does anyone have advice?
Yeah, slow it down and don't be sloppy. It doesn't matter how fast your playing is if it's total garbage.

OT: I find that a tasteful amount of wah can be sufficient when used correctly, but I'm a minimalist, so that may not work for your sound.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Phaser and Flanger are both really cool sounding effects that I like to use while soloing sometimes. Reverb as always as well. I know what you mean with delay. it's really useful and amazing in some places, but not in shredding.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
delay is what you want you just have to know how to use it. many use gobs of it and it does become messy. if you have it mixed just loud enough so you can barely hear it but would notice if it wasn't there then you avoid mush. (check my song From Beyond for example, in profile). of course making sure you play your notes cleanly will also cut down on mush. (couldn't listen as i'm not on facebook)
Quote by Offworld92
it's really useful and amazing in some places, but not in shredding.

So what about people like Paul Gilbert, Mark Tremonti, Tom Morello, etc., who sometimes have a bit of delay on while they shred (once in a blue moon regarding Tom...who hardly plays conventional solos to begin with)?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
listen to bullet for my valentine. just a little bit of wah should do u fine. but if they sound sloppy and u think u need effects, then ur playing is slopping and u need to slow it down. solos r no good no matter how fast it is if it sounds like shit. slow it down and make each note count. a tasteful amount of wah can make for a really nice feel and try using ur neck pickup. that will help get rid of some muddiness and clean up the sound a little bit.

but no effect will help sloppy playing
the playing is fine lol. I just meant that having a lot of delay while playing fast tends to make a mess.
It can do if you use too much of it... its just using it in moderation and finding the balance really so it adds colour but doesnt mess up the playing.
A Wah pedal, when used well, is a guitarist's best weapon I reckon. Just be tasteful, and don't just wank it constantly. Lock it in positions for runs and stuff, it adds a lot of flavour.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
A Wah pedal, when used well, is a guitarist's best weapon I reckon. Just be tasteful, and don't just wank it constantly. Lock it in positions for runs and stuff, it adds a lot of flavour.

leaving the toe down allows u to use it for a nice treble boost for solos. in my opinion, all that remains has the most badass solos. and what i think makes them the most unique is that they arent straight up shred. some nice arpeggios can help make things sound real smooth and a little legato helps too. if ur just flying with a whole lot of pikcing and can get boring real fast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtW4AFyLyM this is one of my favorite solos, starts at about 2:40